Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-marthas-vineyard-nantucket-212501/)

David Dec 3rd, 2001 06:48 PM

Cape, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket

Let me preface this by saying the only thing I know about the New England area is what I have seen on a map. I will be in Boston for business from April through July. Wife and two kids (12 and 7) will be visiting in late June/early July and we plan to travel over to one of these areas during the 4th of July and the following weekend.<BR><BR>We would like to find a nice beach house for rent, or anything else comparable.<BR><BR>1. Which of these locations do you recommend?, and<BR><BR>2. What recommendations do you have for lodging?

Beth2 Dec 3rd, 2001 07:20 PM

A realtor can help with the house for rent. There are usually plenty along the beaches; you may want to investigate the Osterville and Eastham areas. Of the two islands, I think Nantucket is the more "traditional," but this can be done in a weekend, or day trip. There's a great whaling museum out there the kids might like! My other recommendation is Chatham. Although accommodations are pricey, the town is really charming. I'd recommend looking into both the Chatham Bars Inn and the Wequassett Inn.

martha Dec 4th, 2001 05:59 AM

My husband and I stayed on Martha's Vineayrd in the off-season a few years ago - it is very quiet, relaxing, not alot to do but eat really good seafood - we had a nice time - I have heard it is beyond crowded in season - I would recommend staying in Edgartown

tim Dec 4th, 2001 10:34 AM

Nantucket is the tops in all categories, unfortunately it's also one of the most expensive places on the planet. It is (in my opinion) the best of everything: beaches, nightlife, food, seclusion, shopping, etc. Nantucket is quintessential New England. It's the most beautiful of the three. Nantucket also has the best beaches on the Ocean because it is the farthest away from the mainland. It receives warmer water with nicer waves. <BR><BR>If you go to the Cape, I'd suggest Chatham as a great New England town. If you're after total seclusion, I'd recommend Truro, but you'll most likely have to rent a house because I'm not sure if there are any hotels. You could also stay in Provincetown which has a great arts scene and great food, but it's probably not the scene that your kids are looking for. <BR><BR>Think of it this way: The cape attracts mostly well to do Boston area people, MV attracts celebrity types (with $Multi million bank accounts), while Nantucket attracts CEOs (with $Billion bank accounts). <BR><BR>Renting a house is probably your best bet with kids on Nantucket, but you could also rent a room or two at one of the numerous "Guest Houses" which are basically B&Bs without the second B. For a list go to nantucket.net<BR><BR>I'd recommend staying in Nantucket "Town" instead of "Sconset" (the other town on Nantucket). Sconset is absolutely beautiful but it's more of a honeymoon type of area without the benefit of being in Nantucket town and with less attractive beaches and no shopping.<BR><BR>

xxx Dec 4th, 2001 01:28 PM

As a non-billionaire owner of a summer house on Sconset, I would also urge you to stay in Nantucket town. Seriously, Sconset is more for quiet times with family more than honeymooners I think. Anywhere you stay on ACK, a house rental would be best for a family.

cheri Dec 4th, 2001 02:23 PM

xxx, Do you ever rent your house? Our family has been renting in ACK every summer for the past 16 years. Last year for the first time we stayed in Sconset on Broadway. I agree, it is a great place for families. It was my favorite house yet. Bad news is that the house is being sold and I'm looking for another one to rent for a few weeks this summer. If you do rent, can you e-mail me? That's my real address above. Thanks.

charles Dec 4th, 2001 02:23 PM

The above descriptions of the Vineyard by Beth and Tim are fairly innacurate. <BR><BR>Basicly, the Vineyard and Nantucket will be significantly more expensive than the Cape, but are significantly cuter and nicer. It is well worth staying on either one. Nantucket has a more of an isolated moors and dunes appeal, and the Vineyard has more country charm and is more laid back. Both get celebrities and CEOs, but traditionally Nantucket has gotten more of the business types and the Vineyard more professors/artists/writers.<BR><BR>A house over the 4th is absolute peak in any of the areas, and will be unlikely to cost less than $2000 a week. If you are interested you should start looking now.

cheri Dec 4th, 2001 02:38 PM

David, I too think Nantucket is the best. As my husband says, give me Nantucket and Bermuda and I don't need to go anywhere else. With kids, lodging options are very limited though. B&B's are out. Most don't accept kids and those that do will probably require 2 rooms. At that time of year for 2 rooms it will probably run about $ 500/night. Look for a house rental. Try cyberrentals, Jordan Real estate, (do a search, they have a good website), Jensen, Congdon and Colman and Edith Delker (mostly Sconset). And Tim is wrong about the nicest beaches not being in Sconset. They are beautiful everywhere, including Sconset. My least favorite is Surfside (crowded), but they are all nice. We try to go to a different beach every day. If you can go the last week of June rather than after July 1st, the rates will be lower. You also need to get a reservation for your car from the Steamship Authority. It's not easy or cheap to get to ACK but it's worth it. Good luck!

tim Dec 6th, 2001 07:40 AM

as someone who has lived in both Sconset and Town, I think that I know what I'm talking about.....<BR><BR>listen, of course not everyone on Nantucket is a billionaire, but new mega-money is flocking to the island like flies to a rib roast. The island still maintains it's "Old New England" practicality, frugalness, and charm, but the headlines in the I&M today are often about who is building a new mega house and where. The nice thing is that the strict building codes and lack of available land mean that the mega-houses aren't so mega and that the rich and poor (sic) seem to all get along reasonably well. <BR><BR>Rent a house near town, or near Surfside. If you are a first time visitor, go to Sconset but don't stay there. Your kids will want to run around town with the hordes of other kids (they all seem to congregate around Taco Taco). And the beaches on the South Shore are nicer in my opinion because I like to swim, ride the waves, possibly get a soda from the beach stand. In Sconset you really can't jump into the ocean because the riptides are somewhat strong and there is more seaweed. The beaches are beautiful, but they are beautiful everywhere. <BR><BR>