Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod summer 04,where to stay with 2 kids,ages 8 and 14 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-summer-04-where-to-stay-with-2-kids-ages-8-and-14-a-402298/)

bobcook54 Feb 22nd, 2004 05:23 PM

Cape Cod summer 04,where to stay with 2 kids,ages 8 and 14

We have never been to Cape Cod,and are wondering where to stay with our kids this summer.Is one area better suited for kids and what areas should we stay away from? My 14 year old daughter is very much into whales,etc.and we all like hanging out at the beach and pools.Any suggestions as to resorts,condo rentals,etc? Thanks for your help! Bob

Gene Feb 22nd, 2004 06:34 PM

For a first-time CC family vacation I suggest you stay in the mid-cape area (Hyannis, Yarmouth, Dennis, Harwich) area. One of the most popular family resorts in this area is the All Seasons Motel in Yarmouth. A more upscale resort right on the ocean is Red Jacket Beach Resort in this same area.

From the mid-cape area you will be able to explore all 15 towns of the Cape. Make sure to get to Provincetown one day of your vacation to give your daughter the best whale experience of all.
The entire Cape is pretty safe as compared to most other vacaion areas.

tracys2cents Feb 22nd, 2004 08:39 PM

www.lighthouseinn.com

LaurenSKahn Feb 22nd, 2004 10:17 PM

If you are going to be on the Cape for a week or longer I would look into renting a cottage rather than staying in a hotel. It is much more convenient and you can save megabucks by doing your own cooking.

gail Feb 23rd, 2004 04:51 AM

Believe it or not, it is rather late to book a cottage on Cape Cod for the summer - I would try local realtors in whatever area you are thinking of. Virutally all rentals are Sat afternoon - the next Sat AM.

Cottage rentals, however, are not going to get you a pool. And most will require a drive to the beach. Still, agree with above poster that suggested cottage or condo - you don't actually have to "cook" each meal - but it saves time snad money to make a simple breakfast and even get pre-cooked chicken and salad bar to avoid eating out every night. Also, if weather should be bad, traffic on the Cape will wish you make you stayed home - so nice to have an option of a place to veg-out if it should rain.

I would recommend mid-Cape as a home base (Yarmouth area) if you want to travel around and see the rest of the Cape. However, personally I prefer the Eastham/Wellfleet/Truro area - much less commercialized and still driveable to anyplace you might want to go. Be sure to go to Cape Cod National Seashore - we like Coast Guard Beach for waves and sand. A word of warning - you can't actually park at the beach - which is part of what keeps it so nice - you need to park in a big lot about 1.5 miles away and take the tram to the beach.

seafox Feb 23rd, 2004 06:32 AM

With children I would stay on the Bay side. The water ius calmer and you do not need to watch them as closely

djkbooks Feb 23rd, 2004 03:27 PM

I would agree that it's probably too late to book a cottage or condo for this summer.

Here's another HUGE recommendation for the Lighthouse Inn. We love that place. Plenty to do for everyone. Fabulous beach (the inn is located right on Nantucket Sound). Rock King's performance in the Sand Bar (a cocktail lounge in one of the outbuildings) is not to be missed!

travelmom13 Feb 23rd, 2004 06:12 PM

I stumbled upon this listing and thought you might be interested. Cape Cod is BEAUTIFUL! I was just there in Sept. Can't wait to go back!

http://www2.cyberrentals.com/MADENN/Mahen2DENN.html

rebelyeller Feb 26th, 2004 12:40 PM

I would recommend the Harwich/Chatham area. I would stay away from the Yarmouth/Hyannis area as it is very congested. Harwich and Chatham have a nice mix of hotels and motels along Route 28. More upscale resort is Wequasit (spelling?) in Orleans. Beaches are great near Chatham, especially Nauset Beach. Bike path is great and stretches from Dennis to Brewster with several nice pit stops along the way. Several places to rent bikes for the day. Hope this helps.

bobcook54 Feb 28th, 2004 06:03 AM

Thanks to all! Any more suggestions? Bob

bobcook54 Mar 3rd, 2004 06:07 PM

BUMP

jd Mar 4th, 2004 06:26 AM

One place we have enjoyed staying with the kids is the Even'Tide Motel in Wellfleet. Good place to stay with kids as they have 2 room suites for a reasonable price. The bedroom has 2 queen beds, and the small living room has its own tv and a pullout couch. Also rooms have a frig. Nice indoor pool here too, and it is close to all the nice national seashore beaches.(although Nauset Beach in Orleans is my favorite.)This property also has many cottages for rent too, and is right on the bike path. Not a luxury property by any means, but a nice, clean 3* motel.
Another favorite place to stay is the Seacrest hotel in Falmouth-this hotel is right on a nice warm water beach, and also has an indoor and outdoor pool.

zootsi Mar 4th, 2004 08:06 AM

Cape Cod beaches 101 - The beaches on the south shore (Hyannis, Yarmouth, Falmouth, etc) are quite warm, and calm, sometimes a little seaweedy. Great for kids. However this is the most congested, built up area, with many hotels on or close to the beach.

The beaches on the west side, which is the bay, are usually calm, very shallow, and on the cool side. This area is less built up, with lots of room on the beaches. Towns here include Wellfleet, Dennis, etc.

The beaches on the east side are the national seashore ocean beaches. Very scenic, unspoiled, cool to cold water, and usually some surf and sometimes an undertow. Of course you can explore all the differnt beaches once you get there, but it can be a haul to the ocean beaches from someplace like Yarmouth, especially in mid summer traffic. An ideal spot for kids who like nature is the bird sanctuary in Eastham - miles and miles of natural beach, dunes, marsh, and tidal flats rich in hermit crabs, seashells, fish,etc.

GBelle Mar 4th, 2004 08:34 AM

Gene,
If they've never been to Cape Cod, maybe you should tell them what to expect in Provincetown with two kids in addition to the whale watching cruises.

sam Mar 4th, 2004 08:37 AM

I'd also recommend the mid-cape as Gene did. It's a busy area with lots of things for the kids to do and an easy ride to the shores. Provincetown is a great day trip, and Hyannis has the ferries to Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. If you go to P-town, on the way back you might catch a drive-in movie in Wellfleet, check www.wellfleetdrivein.com to see what's playing ahead of time. For a resort, you could try www.holly-tree.com. We're going there in late Aug.! Have fun!

clarkgriswold Mar 4th, 2004 11:18 AM

If it's in your price range, the Lighthouse Inn. Rates include meals, I believe.

justLynne43 Mar 5th, 2004 05:22 PM

Cape Cod is beautiful,actually i was there last weekend for the day. My favorite part of the cape is Brewster. thers a place called ocean edge.You can rent a condo or a house or even a townhouse. Did i mention its a resort!! there's 2 or 3 pools, and its on a golf course, has, if i can remember 2 restaurants right there. I just love it there,lots to do and see and its really Cape Cod. Check it out...www.oceanedgeresort.com.....
You wont be disaponted,guaranteed.

Ms_Harvey May 22nd, 2004 08:52 AM

>Author: GBelle
>Date: 03/04/2004, 11:34 am
>Message: Gene,
If they've never been to Cape Cod, maybe you should tell them what to expect in Provincetown with two kids in addition to the whale watching cruises.<

I'm assuming GBelle is talking about the "homosexual" element in P-town. (Does G stand for Georgia? Home of homophobe Newt Gingrich?) Anyone who's been to Provincetown knows that seeing 6 ft. tall men in slinky dresses and heels, advertising evening cabaret acts on Commercial Street is part of the place's charm. During the day you see absoultely everyone on the main drag, uh, I mean street -- from straight nuclear families to teenage skateboarders to "flamboyant" gay people. I think a 14 year old would think it was a pretty cool place. Lovely beaches (part of the Nat'l. Seashore), lots of great shopping and dining as well as dune tours and whale-watching trips. If you're on the Cape you should go to Provincetown.

Mid-Cape as a base is also a good recommendation -- Yarmouthport, Dennisport, and Harwichport are all good bets for families with kids.

peggybauer May 22nd, 2004 01:57 PM

Ocean Edge Resort is a HUGE condominium complex/resort in Brewster. Brewster is a very good location. Some people enjoy Ocean Edge (good accomodations, pools, gyms, golfing, etc). Others find it tacky, like a huge suburban subdivison with none of the Cape Cod Charm. It is a nice family area.