Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod Suggestions? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-suggestions-350462/)

beachbarbie Aug 21st, 2003 03:18 PM

Cape Cod Suggestions?

We will be going to Cape Cod 9/5 for a week and staying in Brewster. What will the traffic be like at this time? In planning a one week trip, how would you rate the cities in order of MUST SEE. We love hiking, biking, birding, beaches, shopping, historic sites. Also if you were going on a day trip to either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard, which would you choose. Thank you...
Barbie

karens Aug 21st, 2003 04:29 PM

If you are at the Cape for a week, you should see Provincetown, Chatham and Hyannis. (Not in preferred order, but I think they're worthwhile). Hyannis is a bit more commercial, but there is a nice bookstore on the main street I like.

If you like biking, you MUST bike a section of the Cape Cod Rail Trail. We rented bikes in Dennis and did about 5 miles, one way. We passed ponds, fields and bogs. What's so nice, in addition to the scenery, is that the trail only crosses a road a few times, so you don't have to worry about biking in traffic. If I recall correctly, we stopped at a general store located on the trail in Brewster for ice cream.

My favorite beaches are on the National Seashore. We've been to Newcomb Hollow and Marconi and they are backed by really high dunes. But I also really like Mayflower north of Dennis. The tide changes drastically here, and since it is located on Cape Cod Bay, the water is warmer and there isn't the rough surf like at the Atlantic Beaches. You can walk really far out into the water and still have it be only up to your thighs.

I've never been to Nantucket, but I don't think you could go wrong with either Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard. We really liked Martha's Vineyard.

We did nice hiking trails by the Salt Pond Visitors Center at the National Seashore, and some nice trails are also located at the nature center I think is near Brewster, I can't recall the name. There is a state park, Nickerson, I believe, I've also heard is really nice but we've never been.

Gene Aug 21st, 2003 08:21 PM

Barbie, buy a Cape Cod map and when you get here drive along routes 6A and 28, take routes that criss-cross between 6A & 28 like (124, 134, 137) and especially follow any route called Shore road.

Remember you can't get lost on the Cape, because it is essentially an island. When you hit water just turn around and go back.

Traffic will be a lot less than now because the kids will be back in school so families are gone.

You probably will like the Wellfleet Wildlife Sanctuary off route 6 and the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History off 6A in Brewster.

There are no cities on the Cape, just 15 towns with seaport villages and town centers with all of the things you like to do.

You won't regret picking either island and you might just find exploring the Cape is enough for one week.

massteacher Aug 22nd, 2003 07:49 PM

You are about to visit one of the loveliest areas in New England. Brewster, located on the Bay side of the Cape is a very pretty town and very representative of what the Cape is all about. I would suggest you drive on Route 6A from Sandwich to Provincetown for wonderful scenery. The traffic after Labor Day slows down considerably, but many people without school-age children know that September is one of the most wonderful months to visit.
So, you can expect some traffic, especially on the weekends. Routes 28 and 6, the midcape highway are more apt to have lots of cars. There is a great Audubon Sanctuary in Welfleet. The beaches on the lower Cape (Orleans on up) are part of the National Seashore and among the most beautiful.
There are great nature walks associated with many of these areas. Stop at the Visitors Center for the National Seashore in Eastham for more information and maps.
Provincetown is colorful with a very diverse population. For history, the Kennedy Memorial in Hyannis and the Museum are well worth a visit. Brewster has a great Museum of Natural History on 6A. The town of Sandwich is very historical with many sights. Falmouth on the upper Cape has a lovely harbor. Lunch at the Flying Bridge which overlooks the harbor. I highly recommend the lobster roll. The downtown area has some very nice shops along the main street. Woods Hole, home of the Oceangraphic Institute has a good aquarium and some of the areas are open to the public. It is a small town and might be a good stop before boarding the ferry for Martha"s Vineyard. Another pretty town is Chatham with very good restaurants and nice shops. Drive up to the Chatham Light for a good view of the water. You can take a boat from Chatham to Monomoy, an island with good birding. The Chatham Squire and the Impudent Oyster are good eating choices there. There is so much to do and see here. Hope you enjoy your visit. Please let me know if you need more info. We live on the Cape.

Dorgal Aug 23rd, 2003 07:15 PM

Don't miss a ride out to the Provincelands Visitor Center near Provincetown for a fantastic view of the tip of the Cape. Also a trek thru the White Cedar Swamp in the CC National Seashore is fun - bring insect repellant just in case. The marconi beach exhibit is cool too. Enjoy!

beachbarbie Aug 23rd, 2003 08:47 PM

Wow!!! Thanks so very much for all of the suggestions. This is exactly what I was looking for. We will try to see and do as much of this as we possibly can in one week. Again Thank You All.
Barbie

cheryl_d Aug 24th, 2003 12:08 AM

If you're birders, be sure to check out Bird Watchers General Store at 36 Route 6A in Orleans. It's next to the Lobster Claw restaurant, just south of the traffic light at Stop 'n Shop. You'll love it! (I'm not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.)

I second (or third) the recommendation for the Wellfleet Bay Wildlife Sanctuary on Rt. 6 just over the border between Eastham and Wellfleet. You will see many species there, in addition to being able to check out their small gift shop on the way out.

If you want to spend a full day watching sea and shorebirds, you might trek over to South Beach in Chatham. You have to hire a boat to take you over unless you're prepared to hike 8-10 miles round trip through soft sand. Here's a web site with detailed links:

http://home.comcast.net/~odenews/SouthBeach.htm

raineday33 Aug 25th, 2003 07:37 PM

For hiking links on Cape Cod try www.slackpacker.com
The Provincelands bike trail in Provincetown is one of the best.
Shopping is fabulous in P-Town.
Nantucket is smaller than MV and has some nice bike paths throughout the island. Try www.thetrustees.org for Nantucket properties of interest.

didi Aug 26th, 2003 04:51 AM

Just came back from a trip to Nantucket and Chatham. I've been to Nantucket before in July and September and definitely prefer September the best. Nantucket is a beautiful little island with great restaurants and shops. There are less crowds and the weather is beautiful! I also loved the town of Chatham. There are some great little galleries and good restaurants. There's one that just opened not too long ago that is owned by a family memeber of Christopher Reeves but I forgot the name. The food was great!