Cape Cod rec's please!

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cape Cod rec's please!

Hi!
My husband and I would like to plan an early June vacation to Cape Cod for our first anniversary.

Neither of us has ever been- can you help?

We're looking for a hotel reccomendation? We'd like to stay centrally located, near a beach (doesn't have to be on the beach, just within walking distance), and in a more quaint B&B/Inn/Hotel rather than a resort.

Thank you, Thank you!
Maren
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:10 AM

Not a big Cape Cod fan due to too many days sitting in traffic on RT 3. But I've been there more than enough to say that the Rt 6a section of Yarmouthport and the town of Chatham are two areas that have numerous attractive B&Bs/Inns. Both areas are far more attractive than Hyannis or Dennis (especially Rt 28). I also like parts of Falmouth/Woods Hole but Chatham is more centrally located. I've stayed at the Queen Anne Inn in Chatham and thought it was nice but not great for the price. I've also stayed at the Wedgewood Inn in Yarmouthport that I thought was nicer overall. Also have stayed in numerous motels on RT 28 and can't recommend any. Generally I find the further down the Cape you go the better it is. National Seashore is beautiful.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Our favorite spot has always been down at the tip..either Truro or Provincetown..lots of B&Bs in P.Town...we love this area because you are close to the National Seashore Park, bike trails, whale watches, & P.Town itself!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 08:00 AM

Maren realize that early June on the Cape the water temps are quite frigid - not really romping in the surf weather. The Nantucket Sound beaches (the south shore of the Cape), will be your best bet for swimable water. That being said, this will be a beautiful time to go, it will be much less crowded.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Check out the web site of the Sea Crest Resort in Falmouth, MA. It is located right on one of the south facing beaches and has both outdoor & heated indoor pools, as well as, many other amenities. Also it is a short drive after going over the Bourne Bridge to the Cape so you get to avoid some of the bumper to bumper summer traffic that the cape is famous for.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 09:31 AM

http://www.seacrest-resort.com/
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 10:14 AM

You should check out the Yankee Traveller website. I think that it is www.newengland.com. They offer good recommendations for B & B/inns , restaurants and sights.'

Personally, I would stay in the Outer Cape area, near the National seashore, anywhere from Chatham up to Provincetown. There are so many romantic inns in these towns - The Captain's House in Chatham, the Whalewalk in Eastham, Captain Freeman's Inn in Brewster come to mind.

I haven't been for a couple of years, but would like to go back soon. It is a wonderful part of the US.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 11:32 AM

Maren- Sorry, for some reason the "quaint inn not a resort" just didn't register when I posted my responses.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Chatham is our favorite town.

We've also enjoyed the Lighthouse Inn in West Dennis.

For an anniversary, though, you might want to consider Nantucket...
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:06 AM

Maren - as noted, June is still cool on most of the Cape. Traffic will be fairly light if you avoid the bridges during the after work hours on Friday and Sunday from about 3 to 6. Chatham is a lovely town and the recommendations are good, depending on your age and like you may find it stuffy....it's like a country club by the sea. Truro is somewhat desolate...little to do from a pure touridt perspective.....but long walks on a quiet beach will be available. PTown is my favourite and the antithesis of Chatham, check out my other postings on this board or got to www.provincetown.com....by the way The 1807 House is a nice B&B. I've not been to Falmouth in years, so I'm hesitant to comment...however it never felt like Cape Cod to me. Stay away from route 28....a tourist trap.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:09 AM

The Lighthouse Inn, that DJKBOOKS recommended meets all of your criteria. West Dennis is centrally located, the Inn is certainly quaint and you can walk to the mile-long West Dennis beach nearby.

If you can forego the central location though it would be hard to beat the Land's End Inn, Provincetown for a romantic, quaint inn with plenty of beach walking nearby.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Chatham is a beautiful cape town. Much quieter and residential than Falmouth/Hyannis and places in between. Great and numerous places to stay. Cranberry Inn is nice. Not great restaurants in Chatham but very nice restaurants nearby in Orleans, Nauset, and Brewster. I think Chatham and the near surroundings are the nicest part of the Cape.