A few ideas for visitors to the Big Apple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm fairly new to this board but not new to this town. I seem to notice that most of the queries from prospective tourists revolve around itineraries that include all the basic chestnuts - as though that's the be all and end all to a visit to NY. Here are some suggestions for visitors that will give them a feel for the town: Lunch: -- get some take out sandwiches from a place like Pret a Manger or any take out deli and get over to Bryant Park (42 St. and 6th Ave.) and have a picnic in one of the most beautiful spots in town surrounded by skyscrapers (you can get drinks in the park) -- and you can then drop into the NY Public Library building (adjoining the park) and visit one of the most beautiful buildings in the city - and see the famed main reading room. You are also near Grand Central Terminal - a great Beaux Artes building with interesting food market. Check out off Braodway theater in the East Village and dine in one of any number of interesting (and low priced) spots. Ask Aduchamp for specific recommendations. A little adventurous: take the #7 subway line to the last stop - Roosevelt Ave. and you will be in the heart of Flushing where you will find some of the greatest Chinese, Korean, Japanese, cuisine -- in the world.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 12:38 PM

Actually, the last stop on the 7 train is Main Street, and that's where Chinatown is. If you get off at Roosevelt Avenue you'll be in a very different (though equally interesting neighborhood). 74th Street is Indian (the Jackson Diner is the most famous spot here), while Roosevelt itself is lined with Colombian and increasingly Mexican restaurants. It's definitely a great place for Latin food. And if you get off at the stop before, you can have great Filipino food. Queens is a great place if you like to eat more unusual ethnic cuisines.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 04:52 PM

Those of you going to Yankees games go early and go to the end of the #4 line and pay a visit to Woodlawn Cemetery. Get some exercise hiking and if you are still early for the game visit the Bronx Museum which is very close to the stadium.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks to Doug for noting that the last stop on #7 is Main Street. My fingers do not follow my brain when I do these posts. But those restaurants in that area are worth the trip.
And Sue - yes - a visit to the cemetery could be appropriate before (or after) taking in a Yankees game at their new (overpriced) stadium -- judging from their recent play.
Old Apr 21st, 2009, 06:09 PM

Thanks JRoth.

I fallen down on the job and have not been updating my list. But I hope to soon. There are many new spots in the East Village reflecting the economy, Vietnamese sandwich shops, burgers, and the rebirth of pig.

Here is the list, none the less, of inexpensive restaurants mostly in the East Village:

Indian-Brick Lane-Banjara, Mitali, Brick Lane

Inexpensive Italian- La Marca (3rd Ave. and 22 Street, only opened noon-10 PM, Mon-Fri)

Medium priced Italian- Cacio e Pepe, Gnocco, Supper (cash only), Luzzos (Wood burning pizza oven)

Expensive Italian- I Coppi (For dinner But great brunch

Inexpensive Eastern European- Veselka

French Bistro-Cafe Deville, Casimir, Flea market (for atmosphere)

Greek-Pylos

Tapas-Xunta, Tia Pol, Bar Carrera, Café Mono (more expensive)

Dessert-Veniero's, DeRobertis for the frozen lemon thing and tortonis.

Bagels- Ess-a-Bagel

Brunches-Five Points, Zoe's, Blue Ribbon Bakery ,Turkish Kitchen, City Bakery (18th off 5th), Cafecito (Ave C), Clinton Street Bakery

Pizza-Lombardi's, Pizza Fresca

Pizza by the slice-Artichoke (14th Between First and Second) Bizarre service with a line because the pizza is good and the management is goofy

Hole in the wall-Stage (next to Stomp) great cheap home made soups

French fires-Pomme Frites

Noodles and dumplings-Momofuku, (we were not impressed with dimpling man on St. Marks.)

Seafood-Mermaid Inn

Ice Cream-Cones on Bleecker, Australia, Il Laboratorio de Gelato, Chinatown Ice Cream Factory, Cones and Sundaes (East 10th)

Chinatown-Big Wong, Joe’s Ginger, NY Noodletown

Dim Sum-Jing Fung, Golden Unicorn

Jewish Delis-2nd Ave Deli, Katz’s