Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod Next Summer Where to Stay? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-next-summer-where-to-stay-372674/)

melis1314 Oct 30th, 2003 07:19 AM

Cape Cod Next Summer Where to Stay?

6-8 27-28yr olds looking to go to the cape for the 1st time next summer. We may go with a house or resort, but what part of Cape Cod is good for this age group. We like to relax on the beach and happy hour is always nice. Any suggestions on location or does it not matter?

bennnie Oct 30th, 2003 08:51 AM

Back in the day, Falmouth Heights was a great place for 20 somethings. But I know my younger brother hungout in Wellfleet - there was a hopping bar right on the beach there which is pretty unusual for the Cape. Hyannis was another hangout. Rental house is definately the way to go. Resorts are limited and full of families.

I know my response is not particularly helpful but it will at least keep it from dropping too far down. Hopefully someone with more up to date info will see and reply.

Melissa Oct 30th, 2003 09:21 AM

A lot of people will probably knock this, but considering your age and interests I have to say Barnstable (Hyannis, Centerville particularly).

The beaches along Nantucket sound in the Hyannis area (kalmus, kennedy) and centerville (veterans, craigville) are nice and close by to Main st. in Hyannis where there are a lot of bars and your fellow tourists mixed in with my fellow locals.

You also might like Chatham, which has great beaches, a lot of local flavor, and is more of the Cape Cod people envision in their minds.

planner Oct 30th, 2003 06:18 PM

I agree with the previous poster that the most action at night as far as clubs & restaurants would be in the Hyannis area yet it can get so congested in the summer and is very commercial.
The beach bar in Wellfleet bennnie mentioned is the Beachcomber(they have a website) and it is one of our favorite places to go during the summer. It is on top of the steep dunes at Cahoons Hallow beach. My kids took surfing lessons on the the beach from a surf company that we met in the Beachcomber parking lot-they had so much fun!!! Keep in mind the water is COLD and there are not a lot of swimmers and the surfers wear wetsuits to stay warm. The Beachcomber has a great bar area that is very busy and they often have life bands. The food is also really good for a beach bar! You will find lots of families there also yet as the night goes on it is a definite party spot.
No matter where you stay make a point to head to the Beachcomber for sunset and dinner/drinks one night.
I think Chatham would be a fun town. Lighthouse Beach is beautiful to relax at and you would love the downtown area.
The Chatham Squire (pub) is another favorite of ours. The shops in Chatham are great if you are into shopping and browsing. We love going into Chatham in the evening and walking and browsing. From the Chatham area you would be 1/2 hr to Hyannis and 1/2 hr to Wellfleet.
Another option yet much more expensive would be Nantucket.
Have fun!

melis1314 Oct 31st, 2003 12:03 PM

Thanks for all the information. It was all helpful. I think I will go with renting a house and will check out the areas mentioned below.

Thanks!

earl30 Oct 31st, 2003 01:27 PM

Have you thought about Nantucket instead? It is so much more uncrowded and relaxing.

charli Oct 31st, 2003 04:29 PM

I think that a group of late 20s would find Nantucket boring unless they had unlimited spending money. It is very expensive to eat and sleep. Accommodations are overpriced and not that great considering what you can get elsewhere for the same money. Just my humble opinion.

Upper_Caper Nov 1st, 2003 04:09 AM

I second Planner's comments 100%; regarding Hyannis and Welfleet/Beachcomber - except the waters not 'that' cold...well its slightly warmer in August. There are many houses you can rent at Cahoon Hollow and at the next beach down Le Count Hollow.

raineday33 Nov 1st, 2003 04:59 PM

The Cape lacks in the nightlife department unless you stay in the West Yarmouth area which has quite a few bars but really is a sucky overcrowded area. Provincetown is the best place on the Cape. The drag show at the Crown and Anchor(?) is a hoot.There are tons of accomadations on 6A in North Truro.You can bike to P-Town. Things to do: biking,kayaking,whale watching,boat rentals,dunes tours,shop,shop,shop,beaches,golf,hiking,people watching,and great sunset campfires on Herring Cove Beach(permit required)

jamierin Nov 2nd, 2003 07:08 AM

I agree with the Outer Cape suggestions. I have actually never been to Hyannis (except to catch a ferry to Martha's Vineyard).

We stayed in Truro which is a quiet community of mainly artists, writers, etc. Great beaches!

From there, we visited Wellfleet often and the main street there has a few bars and good restaurants. Also close by are the beaches mentioned with lots of surfing and nightlife.

Biking is good throughout the Outer Cape. For flat but scenic, check out the Cape Cod Rail Trail on a weekday.

Also, some warmer swimming can be found in some of the ponds, as opposed to the ocean. Just check with the locals when you arrive as to which ones are closest to you.

Provincetown is a MUST. Great restaurants and beautiful boutiques.

Have FUN! The Cape is great.

P.S. Check out Yankee Traveller magazines and website.

seafox Nov 17th, 2003 05:25 PM

Ok - I may aggravate a few folks, but let me give you my summation by town. Chatham = straight, stuffy and expensive, Hyannis/Flamouth = straight, horny and party.party party. Truro?Wellfleet = mixed crowd, great beaches lazy days, limited night life. Yarmouth = you may as well stay home. Provincetown = gay/straight, great beaches, great food, great night life, everything within walking distance....wanna guess what I would recommend....P'town, just be sure you are all okay with a very mixed crowd.