Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod food/meal delivery? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-food-meal-delivery-552133/)

scpsmt Aug 16th, 2005 07:47 AM

Cape Cod food/meal delivery?

We're headed next week to Cape Cod for a week-long stay at a house in Harwich. We'd like to pre-order some nice food (steaks, seafood) or prepared meals to be delivered to the house during our stay --any ideas of good grocers, restaurants or caterers who do this? Thank you!

Dorgal Aug 16th, 2005 08:17 AM

I have been going to the cape all my life and have never seen this type of service there. The grocery store Stop & Shop has a grocery delivery service called Peapod and they will deliver groceries. I am sure that some restaurants will prepare take out for you but I doubt if they deliver. I spent time in the Outer Banks the past 3 years and was surprised to see the type of services you mentioned.......saying I wish we had that at the Cape. But then again - I think for a PRICE you can get anything you want if you want to pay a caterer.

scpsmt Aug 16th, 2005 08:32 AM

Thank you for your idea re Peapod. We've gone to the Outer Banks as well and there were lots of companies providing these services (delivered groceries and pre-prepared meals). I haven't had any luck so far finding similar places on the Cape.

cheriberry Aug 16th, 2005 08:33 AM

scpsmt
I agree with Dorgal.
However this restauraut in Yarmouth delivers.
I dont know the details but here is the link
http://www.ardeocapecod.com/menu.html
Good Luck
Cheriberry

gomiki Aug 16th, 2005 09:16 AM

Go to www.capecodonline.com (the website of the Cape Cod Times). There is an article today about a service that delivers all sorts of things. It's in the business section. Perhaps they have some suggestions. Dave's ribs in Harwich has several kinds of prepared ribs for pickup. 508-432-1401.

bennnie Aug 16th, 2005 09:27 AM

There is a very good meat market/ grocery store in Dennis called Peterson or Petersens. I know they delivered to my mom when she lived in Yarmouth. This was 3 years ago but they may still offer the service. I don't know if they will deliver to Harwich though.

scpsmt Aug 16th, 2005 10:29 AM

Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

It does not seem that Peapod delivers in Harwich yet, unfortunately, though it does cover other areas of the Cape.

Ardeo looks good, too.

I looked at the capecodonline article and it sounds great, but I can't seem to find any contact info. for this new business.

The Peterson's Market in Dennis does deliver, even beyond Dennis for an add'l fee, though there is no true "online" shopping, we could arrange it by phone.

I found a lot of places that make clambakes & cookouts to go, and one place that will deliver -- The Yard Chef in Harwich. We may try them.

Thanks again for the input.

gomiki Aug 16th, 2005 11:03 AM

Re the dellivery service..call Eliot Freeman at 508-778-1700. (Just looked at today's article in the paper..I have no involvement with this).

claire1954 Jul 25th, 2007 01:31 PM

hello there is a new service on cape cod called MaryHill Farms we used them for catering and they also take emails for food orders, they shop and bring to your house. They were very reasonable, they just starting this service. But they have fresh lobsters which were excellent. they have a web site. www.maryhillfarms.com

yellowbyrd Jul 26th, 2007 08:24 AM

Cape Codders are a thrifty bunch. Can't imagine enough of them willing to pay to have prepared food regularly delivered to their houses to warrant a year 'round business..... unless they were disabled....and then neighbors would pitch in. How about "Meals on Wheels"?
Instead, why not just throw something together from the Stop and Shop. Fresh fish, lobster, shellfish etc are fabulously fresh and can be cooked along steaks and burgers on the grill. Stop at a farmer's market to get the freshest produce and enjoy a real Cape Cod meal!

gomiki Jul 26th, 2007 06:21 PM

"Enjoy a real Cape Cod meal"?? From Stop and Shop!!!???? You can get that in CT or where ever S&S is selling it. You are on CAPE COD with the local fish markets selling FRESH seafood. Go for it.

seafox Jul 27th, 2007 08:50 AM

folks - the original post is 2 years old they've come and gone by now.....

yellowbyrd Jul 27th, 2007 02:10 PM

Duh...should have looked at the date of the original post! And just for the record....I should have started a new paragraph after the Stop and Shop suggestion on my last post . I NEVER buy seafood on the cape at Stop and Shop! My point was only that making a meal is not that big of deal on Cape Cod!