Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod driving information (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-driving-information-230480/)

Sylvia Hutson Jun 12th, 2002 10:25 AM

Cape Cod driving information

Message: We are planning a trip from Boston airport to Falmouth end of September. I want to make a side trip to Sandwich, Barnstable and Yarmouth Port. When we were there a few years ago traveling to Provincetown, I made a note that I wanted to come back to this area. My question is what will the time frame be on a Saturday to make the drive on 6A and then end up in Falmouth? What route should we take? Mapquest shows it takes hours to make the drive. Is that right? Is highway 28 difficult or should we stick mostly with Highway 6? <BR><BR>

katie Jun 12th, 2002 10:42 AM

If you are planning to go to Sandwich, etc on the way to Falmouth then take route 6. If not, to get to Falmouth from Boston you should take I93 south to Route 3 south to the Sagamore bridge rotary. Don't actually go over the bridge but head along the canal (I think this is rte. 28 - first turnoff at rotary) until you get to Buzzards Bay and then cross the Bourne Bridge. Then take 28 south to Falmouth. Route 28 is not difficult at all and if you take 6 you are going WAY out of your way. Traffic shouldn't be bad at the end of September. The whole trip (provided you can get out of Boston quickly) should take you about 1.5 to 2 hours.

Nikki Jun 12th, 2002 02:36 PM

If you are driving from Boston, you could drive down to the Cape, take Route 6 as far as Yarmouthport, then drive back toward Sandwich on Route 6A. Maybe one and a half to two hours from Boston to Yarmouthport. Then another hour meandering along Route 6A, depending on how much you stop and browse along the way. Traffic shouldn't be terrible the end of September. When you are done in Sandwich, you can go back toward the Bourne Bridge along the canal, then drive down to Falmouth on 28. That is a shorter trip, maybe twenty minutes. To drive between Falmouth and Yarmouth on 28 is not a terrific drive, but it would be better in September than, say, in August.

AGM/Cape Cod Jun 12th, 2002 02:40 PM

Sylvia- Are you interested in making the side trip to Sandwich, Barnstable and Yarmouthport on the same day as you come to the Cape? If so take Route 3 from Boston to the Sagamore Rotary. Go over the bridge and take the first exit (right over the bridge so stay to the right on the bridge). At the light make a right turn and that road will become Route 6A. You can take that through Sandwich and Barnstable to Yarmouthport. To return from Yarmouthport to Falmouth, you can either retrace your tracks on Route 6A to Route 149 which will take you to Route 28 and from there to Falmouth or take Route 6 to Exit 5 and Route 149. If you have any questions you can email me.

Sylvia Jun 14th, 2002 06:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the info. We do plan the trip in one day and I didn't think of back-tracking from Yarmouth Port back to Sandwich on 6A and then to Falmouth. Sounds like a plan! Any suggestions for a late lunch in Yarmouth Port (preferably seafood. Also should we take the time to visit Heritage Plantation? I have one other question, if anyone knows. The only place I could get a reservation in Falmouth for a one-night stay on Saturday night was at the Falmouth Inn at 824 Main Street (and that was only if we got the package including dinner and breakfast). Do you know anything about this motel? It looks okay on their website but I can't find it listed in my travel books.