Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod after Columbus Day - Need reservations? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-after-columbus-day-need-reservations-1691622/)

isabel Oct 6th, 2020 09:24 AM

Cape Cod after Columbus Day - Need reservations?

I'm thinking of going to the Cape for two or three days some time in the week or so after Columbus Day. I'd rather not make hotel reservations and think that at that time of year it should be OK but wanted to see if anyone here has been at that time of year and can advise. I see that there are at least a half dozen chain hotels in/near Hyannis that have decent reviews (post covid stays in the last few months that talk about good cleaning/safety measures). I know most of the small independent motels close down for the season but those large chains are open then. How likely is it that they'd all be full if I just show up?

oldemalloy Oct 6th, 2020 05:42 PM

When we have gone at that time of year we have not reserved ahead, but we always head for the Provincetown end and have found places to stay. There was a Sheraton on 6 in the Eastham area and a couple of other places closer to/in Ptown on the coast road that we have stayed at.

Fra_Diavolo Oct 7th, 2020 05:21 AM

Although I have not stayed on the Cape after Columbus Day, I have stayed in Hyannis. It is far from my favorite place in the area.

SusieQQ Oct 9th, 2020 04:43 AM

You would be better off making reservations at a more desirable location .

isabel Oct 10th, 2020 04:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm only looking for a place to stay, not something with any kind of atmosphere or view. Just going to sleep there. I'm planning this trip solo, mainly for photography and the fact that I like to walk on the beach in the off season. So I realize that Hyannis has the least charm of the cape towns but that doesn't matter to me. In this time of covid I'm more interested in being sure the hotel is practicing good cleaning and I think that's more certain of a chain. Local places could certainly be just as good but harder to know for sure. It would be nice if there were chains in other towns than Hyannis but the only one I could find was that Sheraton in Eastham. I might end up there. I'm also looking for somewhere that will have lots of take out options for breakfast and dinner and I figure Hyannis will more reliably have that, especially in the off season. I see lots of sea food shack type places close after Columbus Day.

SusieQQ Oct 10th, 2020 08:50 AM

Four Points by Sheraton Eastham Cape Cod would be your best bet then. Its location is good for easy access to beach and photographic areas. Hyannis is the commercial center of the Cape with big box stores, etc. and not in as good of a location. I seem to remember a Best Western in Provincetown. So, maybe check that out.

MareW Oct 15th, 2020 02:39 PM

Unless things have changed very recently, I would not recommend that Sheraton. It's a great location, but last I knew, the hotel was run down and poorly managed.

gomiki Oct 17th, 2020 07:33 AM

MareW is correct. Probably too late for the OP but The Cove Motel is a good choice. www.thecoveorleans.com