Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-886613/)

PhillipG Apr 14th, 2011 10:20 AM

Cape Cod

2 Retires going to the Cape

Requesting a little insight into my itenary for a vacation to Cape Cod and MV.

Flying into Boston on 21st of May. getting a car and heading to Cape. Will stop at Plymouth and Jenny Grist mill on way down. We will stay at Baileys by Sea as they are close to ferry's, and trying to beat the traffic and price increases before Memorial weekend. Not sure about weather at this time of year? Hopefully not too cold or rainy?

22nd SUNDAY, we will get aquainted with Falmouth, Woods Hole and maybe Sandwich.

23rd Mon. we will take ferry to MV for the day! Planning on bus tour and trying to see most of Island in just one day??

24th TUE. plan on going to Beaches (Coast Guard, Nauset Light House, and maybe into ProvinceTown) Maybe bike from Visitor Center to Race point and Herring Cove. We are not swimmers or Surfers. Just looking at the views! Will check out Whale watching for the next day.

25th WED. Whale watch in AM and shopping in the PM. and checking out the locals as I understand they are worth seeing!!

26th THUR. Will use as extra day in case of bad weather! Try and make up for what we might have missed. or maybe Nantucket?

27th Friday, heading to Boston to check out the city before the tourist hit the Cape!

I have been reading the forums and have a fair idea of eats and sites. But would appreciate any comments as to my scheduling of time and plans. Thanks agian

seafox Apr 14th, 2011 10:34 AM

I'm assuming you are staying in Provincetown or outer cape on the 24th/25th? it's a long ride from Falmout to Ptown and you don't want to do it more than once. Ptpwn has the beaches, whae watching and shopping (along with great people watching).

A little bit about the weather.... It's New england be prepared for anything. The 21st is my birthday, so that week sticks in my mind. It can be dampa nd cold or hotter than heck ... sometimes both)

I would stick with one Island as a plan only - no need to try to everything in one week. Th Cape is big,see some of the other towns along the way, Chatham is a classic and worth spending a luncheon at!

Last thing - traffic - all eck breaks loose on the memorial day holiday weekend - plan your trip back to Boston early and allow for delays.

PhillipG Apr 14th, 2011 10:56 AM

Thanks seafox for the information. I allowed the extra day on Thursday (with no planned place to stay) Just in case we wanted to stay somewhere else on the cape even if for just the one night before heading to Boston. Maybe I should plan the two day visit to Provincetown to coinside with the extra day and night? This would save us the trip back to Falmouth.

Since we are leaving the Cape on Friday would the traffic towards Boston be hectic also? No time to shop for souviners or should we acquire before Friday?

Ackislander Apr 14th, 2011 11:28 AM

Traffic on Fridays is generally away from Boston until you get to Hanover (Mall) or Derby Street Hingham (major shopping center) where there is substantial local traffic using the Route 3 limited access highway. From the Braintree intersection of I-93 and MA 3 ("the Braintree Split"), there will be pockets of congestion into the city.

Assuming from some spellings that you are English, I95 (alos called Route 128, its former name) is the M25 of Boston, with all that implies.

cw Apr 15th, 2011 05:27 AM

I think staying your extra day and night in or near Provincetown is a good idea. The Provincetown National Seashore visitor center is really worth it for the views alone.

Wellfleet is also a nice little compact town with a fair number of galleries and shops.

MareW Apr 15th, 2011 06:16 AM

If it rains while you're on the Cape, you might enjoy the Edward Gorey House in Yarmouth Port. It takes roughly an hour to tour, and is quite interesting. http://www.edwardgoreyhouse.org

yellowbyrd Apr 15th, 2011 10:09 AM

Take a look at Eastham as your base for all outer Cape activities, including visits to Provincetown, Wellfleet and even, if you have time, Chatham. There is a great National Seashore Visitor's Center in Eastham and the beaches, both ocean and bay, are world class. I see you already plan to visit both Coast Guard and Nauset Light Beach so staying in Eastham would make that part of your itinerary a snap. Orleans, the largest year 'round town on the outer cape, is just next door to Eastham making shopping very convenient. Just for planning purposes, Eastham is 30 minutes from Provincetown, 10 minutes from Wellfleet, 5 minutes from Orleans, 20 minutes from Chatham and 30 minutes from Hyannis.

PhillipG Apr 16th, 2011 02:28 PM

Thanks all for your input. I am looking for a place in Eastham for a one or two night stay! any suggestions? I was thinking (for a rainy day) the JFK museum, sandwich glass and/or museum. or Chatham for shopping or just looking around? Can you watch whales in the rain? Maybe a trip to Quincy to see the presidents houses? (been to the other first seven presidents houses!)(but not the Adams!) has anyone taken the water tours for Kennedies or Provincetown?
thanks again

sobster Apr 16th, 2011 06:26 PM

If you go to Sandwich visit the workshop of Michael Magyar who is trying to carry on the glass-making history of that town. HIs place is on 6A just east of the town. Heritage Plantation is a beautiful place to visit there too.

yellowbyrd Apr 17th, 2011 04:44 AM

What is your budget for accommodations? Do you like hotels, inns, B+B's? In the middle of things or a quieter location?

Jackie Apr 17th, 2011 05:59 AM

I would choose Provincetown/wellfleet over Eastham. Love the restaurants, the beaches, the art shops.

My last trip there was in July. We left for Boston on a Friday after lunch and hit traffic shortly after getting off the Cape that lasted all the way home.

PhillipG Apr 17th, 2011 12:37 PM

My budget for a one night or two is $150 +/-... We are staying in our first B/B in Falmouth and look at a nights stay only for sleeping and usually on the go the rest of the time. We have paid extra for ocean views in the Philippines and on the Gulf. Usually look for good restaurants with a view (if possible)(not necessary) and to bed early for the long day trips trying to see everything possible! I look at vacations as lifes windows of opportunity to see/do things for the first and/or last time. You never know if you will have the chance to come this way again?
Thanks again for the guidance. Phil from Tenn.

HappyTrvlr Apr 17th, 2011 02:59 PM

A visit to Quincy would be on your way back to Logan Airport. You could also see the JFK Library.

yellowbyrd Apr 19th, 2011 04:26 AM

You might take a look at the Eagle Wing Motel on Rt 6 in Eastham. It is an aduly-only motel, clean and has a good reputation. We always stay in the National Seashore at Fort Hill B+B, but they have a minimum stay requirement and may be more than you want to spend.

MareW Apr 19th, 2011 05:38 AM

Ealgle Wing is a good idea, as decent places in that area for under $150 won't be easy to find. I've stayed there, but it was about 5 years ago. I do NOT recommend the Ocean Park Inn in Eastham. My husband and I had a terrible experience there two years ago.

bachslunch Apr 19th, 2011 06:21 AM

Will enthusiastically second the idea of seeing the Sandwich Glass Museum -- for me, it's the major world-class level attraction on Cape Cod. It's a great rainy day option.

Depending on the time of year, there are several smaller historic museums to see and historic houses (the Gorey only one of many) to tour on rainy (or even dry) days. Many are only open seasonally, often from Memorial Day to Columbus Day only, so check first before going.

Visiting the Adams oriented attractions in Quincy can take the better part of a day if you see everything (three houses as well as the church in whose crypt the two ex-presidents are buried). Agreed that this would be done on the way back to Boston from the Cape.

Kwoo Apr 25th, 2011 10:49 AM

If you haven't made hotel accommodations yet, I recommend the Inn at Duck Creek in Wellfleet. It is charming, reasonable prices, especially in May, & we love Wellfleet. While in Wellfleet, have lunch at the Bookstore & Restaurant, directly across the street from Mayo Beach.

PhillipG May 6th, 2011 07:36 AM

Thanks all for your input and advice. YOU have been very helpful and informative.. Phil & Toni

PhillipG May 6th, 2011 07:36 AM

Thanks all for your input and advice. YOU have been very helpful and informative.. Phil & Toni

maribethp Jun 12th, 2011 04:36 AM

Marew- just booked at opi. what were your problems there? we travel with dogs,,so that limits us.