Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-187725/)

nmloconte Jan 21st, 2003 04:53 PM

Cape Cod

What is the best time and a nice place to go to this summer in Cape Cod? We have a baby and would like to go to a Cape May like town with easy access to the beach. Appreciate any info. you can offer. Thanks.

Donna Jan 22nd, 2003 12:00 PM

Actually the warmest month and water temp is in July. However,the bay, and some ponds are much warmer than the ocean. September is actually the best month, availability and crowd-wise. Recommend staying on the bay side; Brewster, Orleans, Eastham..depending on your price range. The National Seashore bicycle path runs through these towns and more.

Gene Jan 22nd, 2003 07:51 PM

The Summer season on Cape Cod begins on Memorial Day and ends on Labor Day.<BR><BR>If I am right in interpreting what a Cape May town is like then I think you would most enjoy towns on Nantucket Sound which would include: Falmouth, Mashpee, Barnstable, Yarmouth, Dennis, Harwich, and Chatham.<BR><BR>All of these towns inlude a variety of accomodations and beach access.

Sheela Jan 26th, 2003 04:41 AM

If you like Cape May for it's &quot;victorianess&quot; - you may want to look into Martha's Vinyard - Oak Bluffs. You will be disappointed with Falmouth and that area. I suggest otherwise - -Chatham or Wellfleet or other towns east of Orleans. We don't enjoy the areas west of there - too crowded and too commercial. At Wellfleet you are close enough from either side to spend one day at the wild ocean side and another day at the bay side....lots of nice shops and places to eat. Enjoy!

Melissa Jan 26th, 2003 11:47 AM

I don't know what a Cape May like town would be, but to add to the above suggestion-if it is &quot;victorianess&quot; that you are looking for, Yarmouthport along Rte.6A has wonderful old sea captains homes that have been converted to inns and B+B's if that is your thing. Beach access is relatively easy on Cape Cod mid week anywhere, much harder on weekends in July and August. If you want to stay in a beachfront hotel, there is a hotel near Craigville Beach in Centerville that is across the street and looks beautiful. I forget the name, maybe Gene will know (?Tradewinds???)

Gene Jan 26th, 2003 07:14 PM

Yes, it is the Tradewinds motel and Craigville is a wonderful Beach.

Sara Jan 26th, 2003 08:06 PM

Last fall we stayed at the Sandpiper Beach Inn in Harwichport, which is right on a lovely beach (on Nantucket Sound). It is a small but very nice place, recently renovated.Breakfast is included in the room rate. It's a short drive from there into Chatham, a charming town with lots of neat shops and good restaraunts. You can look at their web site at www.sandpiperbeachinn.com for more info.

joebob Jan 27th, 2003 09:20 AM

Chatham has a nice downtown area but is more &quot;quaint NE&quot; than &quot;Cape Mayish&quot; Keep in mind that the water in Chatham is nearly ice cold (it is on the Atlantic side-the bay and sound side beaches of other towns have warmer water). The beach access in Chatham is also not that convenient, although once you take the 1/2 mile walk across sand you can find nearly deserted beaches. Chatham has the lighthouse, fish pier, restaurants, wildlife reserve/park, and alot of good biking terrain. I liked Chatham and would go back but you should consider the long walk to the beach and cold water (with waves-unlike the bay/sound) if you are bringing a baby, you will dread the walk with all that baby stuff.