Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cape Cod (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cape-cod-1024536/)

marilynb7 Sep 2nd, 2014 06:10 PM

Cape Cod

We are flying into Boston mid October and going to stay 2 days in Ogunquit, ME. We enjoyed it so much a few years ago we want to go back. But instead of New England we thought we might go to Cape Cod. I know nothing about this area. We would be going on Friday thru Sunday.. If we wanted to see the water where should we go? Chatham? I was looking at the Chatham Bar Inn and it looked very nice. Its a girlfriend vacation.

Bostonblondie226 Sep 2nd, 2014 06:34 PM

Chatham Bars Inn is absolutely wonderful. Expensive, but worth every penny. If you're not familiar with the lay of the land, Chatham is at the very tip of the Cape's "elbow" -- and the views are tremendous. There's also plenty to do in Chatham for a few days -- you can eat at the famous Chatham Squire (an institution with check / check plus food) and go to Candy Manor across the street for satisfaction of a sweet tooth. If you get bored with Chatham, you can always drive an hour to Provincetown -- one of the ends of North America -- and lots to see and do and stop in Wellfleet for Lunch and Truro to see the art galleries. Have fun! :)

zootsi Sep 2nd, 2014 06:36 PM

Cape Cod has hundreds of miles of beaches of every description. Chatham is one of the nicer towns on the Cape, perhaps the most upscale. Like many other towns, Chatham has some great beaches. Other nice towns would include Wellfleet, Truro, Falmouth and Dennis. The beaches on the eastern shore of the Cape are on the Atlantic, are mostly in the National Seshore (unspoiled), have cool water and are the most scenic. The beaches on the bay (inside the 'arm' ) are quieter, mostly residential, also cool. The beaches on the southern coast are warmer, calm, and have more motels, resorts, etc. You could easily spend weeks on the Cape and not see everything. My wife and I are off to the Cape tomorrow for our second trip there this summer!
ps: Cape Cod is very much part of New England!

330east Sep 2nd, 2014 06:50 PM

Wequassett, Chatham, Cape Cod

starrs Sep 2nd, 2014 09:08 PM

You can't go wrong anywhere on the cape. Provincetown is at the tip and is very funky (and very gay) but anywhere will be lovely in October. I loved a fall bike ride along the dunes bike paths but also recommend Art's Dune tours. Of course I fell in love before I got there years earlier reading The Outermost House.

marilynb7 Sep 3rd, 2014 12:24 PM

Thank you so much for all your replies. We are still researching if we want to take a chance at that time of the year or whether it will be too cold to enjoy the shoreline.

HappyTrvlr Sep 3rd, 2014 12:43 PM

Cape Cod is very much in New England..Both Chatham Bars and Wequasset are lovely. You'll enjoy the town of Chatham, perfect for a girls' weekend. October will be fine.

Ozarksbill Sep 3rd, 2014 01:04 PM

Cape Cod indeed popular with many choices as to accomodations, beaches, sights, restaurants. Since moving to the Boston area we've taken numerous trips (but first was in Martha's Vineyard back in 1952). Also just recently our family rented a mansion at Ogunquit for a week. Warning: although October a good time still you will find crowds.