Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can't decide on the Ritz Carlton or Omni Royal Orleans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 10:54 AM
T

We are celebrating an anniversary and cannot decide on where to stay in NO. We have stayed at the Royal Orleans but that was YEARS ago. We weren't sure if the Ritz was too far to walk to the French Quarter. Just need feedback.

Thanks

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Meg

The Ritz Carlton is in the French Quarter, on the uptown side at Canal Street. I've never stayed at the Omni, but it's referred to as "the grand old dame" hotel of the Quarter. The location is great - right in the center of the Quarter. I have stayed at the Ritz here (we treated ourselves to a week-end vacation in our own town when they opened), and it was nice - but it does not compare to any Ritz Carlton I've ever stayed in elsewhere. The spa is one of the nicest I've been to any place in the world, and I highly recommend an afternoon of pampering if you decided to stay there - or even if you decide on the Omni, you can still enjoy an afternoon at the Ritz Carlton spa. Happy anniversary!

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 02:11 PM
bill

the new ritz is right on the qtr, an extremely nice hotel, much better than the royal orleans. we've stayed at windsor court as well and prefer the ritz. definitely go here.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:39 PM
e

FWIW---We were in New Orleans last week and were walking down Canal St. and saw a building that said Ritz Carlton. If that IS the Hotel, and someone out there says to stay there instead of right in the French Quarter, they MUST be out of their minds. No charm, no ambiance, just a corporate looking business Hotel.

Old Dec 9th, 2001, 09:47 PM
e

And one more thing----we also went by the Omni. It is in a wonderful part of the Quarter--right off Royal St.(one of our favorite walking streets anywhere), near Jackson Sq and St. Louis Cathederal. Now, if the Ritz has moved from Canal St. to inside the Quarter, then I take back all the negative about it, and reserve judgement until I see it. That being said, the Omni is still a great Hotel with a SUPER location.JMHO.

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Cjeryl

I have stayed at the Omni and really enjoyed it's ideal location right on in the heart of the French Quarter on Royal Street (one of the nicest streets). Since it's an older hotel, standard rooms can be a bit on the small size, so I would recommend getting a king deluxe room with a balcony ... these are a good size. I haven't stayed at the Ritz, and although you usually can't go wrong at any Ritz hotel, it's location is really on the edge of the French Quarter. I would have to agree with the above poster in that it does not look like much from the outside, but I can't speak for how it is inside or the rooms. ... I would pick the Omni over the Ritz (providing I could get a king deluxe room) based on location.