Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Cannon Beach--Sandsurf or Ocean Lodge? Please help me choose (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/cannon-beach-sandsurf-or-ocean-lodge-please-help-me-choose-773442/)

JudyADenver Mar 16th, 2009 01:54 PM

Cannon Beach--Sandsurf or Ocean Lodge? Please help me choose

We have never been to Cannon Beach and it's so difficult to select a hotel when so many sound perfect. We will be staying 3 nights (with our dog) Sept 8-11. I booked a king ocean front suite at the Surfsand on the second floor but noticed that the Ocean Lodge has availability for a queen suite at the same price ($317 including tax) on the ground floor. Both of these properties are pet friendly

I have the feeling that we would be pleased with either property . I must admit having a Tempurpedic king bed at the Surfsand sounds more appealing than a soft queen--also being closer to restaurants, shops at the Surfsand might have advantages.

Should I keep my reservation or change to the Ocean Lodge?

bniemand Mar 16th, 2009 02:42 PM

JudyA, we stayed at the Ocean Lodge last September and absolutely loved it. I don't recall the location of the Surfsand, but you're right that the Ocean Lodge is a bit south of the central downtown area where all the restaurants are. However, it was an easy 5 minute drive to town. Sorry, I don't remember about the mattress.

Cannon Beach became my favorite beach town in the whole world (and I've been to a lot.) The vibe of the town, shops and restaurants was just great. And your dog will love it too! There were tons of happy dogs bouncing around the beach, which added to the joy of the place.

Fodorite018 Mar 16th, 2009 02:48 PM

Judy--I have not stayed at the Ocean Lodge but we have stayed at the Surfsand numerous times. For me, it is Surfsand hands down. Location is ideal. Away from the hubub of downtown, but a pleasant short walk to it. Not so with the Ocean Lodge. The Surfsand also just finished a huge rennovation, so everything is sparkly new if that matters to you. We have taken our golden with us most of the time and the Surfsand truly welcomes, not just tolerates, dogs. They have a dog dish on the back deck as well as dog toys for your use, and an outdoor shower which is great to wash the sand off of your dog.

beachbum Mar 16th, 2009 03:04 PM

Tough call... Ocean Lodge is newer and a more appealing building aesthetically, but SurfSand was remodeled/refurbished within the last few years. SurfSand has always been our choice because of its location, and the indoor pool, which the kids loved when they were younger. We stayed there last Memorial Day weekend without kids, and still loved it. Except for the comparatively ugly property next door... but that's a small price to pay for what I think is a far better location.

NWWanderer Mar 16th, 2009 03:47 PM

You might want to check with the Ocean Lodge to make sure that the room you're interested in accepts pets. My recollection is that pets are only allowed in certain rooms there.

kimamom Mar 17th, 2009 08:47 AM

The Ocean Lodge is in a beautiful setting and has won awards for "hotels with the best views." It is right next door to the Stephanie Inn, one of the nicest lodgings on the entire Oregon Coast, you could walk next door to the Stephanie Inn for dinner which would be a real treat. ***kim*** ((#))

Fodorite018 Mar 17th, 2009 08:52 AM

Kim--Yes, both the Ocean Lodge as well as the Surfsand have won awards. Hopefully you can stay at one of these properties yourself one day:)

JudyADenver Mar 17th, 2009 09:35 AM

Sounds like we should be happy at the Surfsand this trip. If we love Cannon Beach and return, we can try the Ocean Lodge next time. thanks everyone for your input.

kimamom Mar 17th, 2009 11:12 AM

They have a pretty good restaurant at the Surfsand called the Wayfarer, have fun at the coast! ***kim*** ((#))

Fodorite018 Mar 17th, 2009 11:32 AM

Yes, that was already suggested to Judy in a prior thread. But I agree, nice place:)