Cannon Beach or Yachats

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2010, 09:29 AM
EBZ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cannon Beach or Yachats

HI,

We vacationed in Cannon Beach about 4 years ago and are now planning another trip back to Oregon summer 2011. Our initial thought was to return to Cannon Beach for a week and then stay in Hood River for 3 or 4 nights but then I started hearing alot of talk about Yachats and wondering if we should by-pass Cannon Beach since we have already been there and visit the Central Coast. What I loved about Cannon Beach was the tide pools, hiking in Ecola State Park and the cute town itself. We would definately want a sandy beach nearby as we will be traveling with a 6 and 9 year old. Would Yachats fit the bill? In Yachatas we would stay a week and rent a house. If we select Yachats I thought we could go to Crater Lake for 2 nights and then head up to Hood River for 3 or 4 nights. Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks,

Beth
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:17 AM

My kids always played at the big beach on the south side of the river. Yachats is wonderful with kids.You can walk the whole town.
You could also go to the Aquarium in Newport one afternoon.
Crater Lake is doable too.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:19 AM

With kids the ages of yours, I think Cannon Beach is your best bet. I love Yachats, but to be on a beach there would mean that you'd probably want to drive into town. And there isn't really much of one.

But that doesn't mean you couldn't still see Crater Lake. Best for that I think would be to base yourselves at Sunriver Resort, and do it as a day-trip.

What are you planning to do in Hood River for 3 - 4 nights? Being only 60 miles from Portland, it's a day-trip for most visitors.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 10:56 AM
EBZ
Original Poster

THanks for the replys... BBQBoy: I was also thinking the Aquarium in Newport would be fun for them, maybe even going to Florence for a Dune Buggy ride..

Our last trip to OR., we did day trips to Columbia Gorge area and really liked it so we thought we would spend some more time there and do some hiking (we just came back from a 10 day hiking trip) and use Hood River as a base and do the Fruit Loop and go up to Mt. Hood etc. Do you think 4 days is too much time? So passerbye, do you think we should break it up as Hood River, Sunriver and Cannon Beach? I am off to read up on Sunriver...

Thanks again,

Beth
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:50 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

I just looked at drive time from Sunriver to Crater Lake and it came up at 2.5 hours. I htink that is too far for us to make a day trip. We already have reservations at the Crater Lake Lodge so I will try to fit it in... Sunriver/Bend area does look great... maybe for another trip...

Any other Central Coast towns you would recommend?
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 12:59 PM

Sunriver is not a destination for a day trip. It is a family resort destination with lots to do in the area: biking, rafting, hiking, swimming, lava tubes, volcanic buttes, High Desert Museum, etc.

If you are arriving and leaving from Portland, you could do a loop - Coast to Crater Lake, to Sunriver, Columbia Gorge and back. Most interesting places to spend time are Coast and Sunriver. You don't need a lot of time at Crater Lake. That is the day trip, imho. The Oregon Caves National Monument is nearish Crater Lake. Your kids would love that. Ranger led walk through caves with lots of stalactites and stalagmites.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 01:27 PM

I'd put the drive time at closer to 1.75 hours, Beth, and that's to Rim Village, at the south end of the lake. But since you already have reservations at the Lodge.....

My kids were never the hikers yours apparently are, which is partly why I suggested Sunriver (we actually took ours to Black Butte Ranch, but that makes the Crater Lake drive longer). Nice mix of activities for everyone in the family, plus proximity to great hiking and beautiful mountain scenery. To be honest, my kids would have been bored stiff after one day in the Gorge.

On the central coast, if not Yachats, I'd probably choose Newport. It doesn't have nearly the charm of Cannon Beach, but it's got nice beaches, and is close to other activities - e.g. the Aquarium and dune buggy rides (a certain hit with the kids). Since you are planning on Crater Lake, you might also consider Bandon.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:13 PM

I agree with passerbye. My kids would have been bored if we'd stayed long in the gorge. We would go for day trips from Portland when we lived there. We used to visit Sunriver for longer trips and I've only heard great things about Black Butte. We've driven into it but never stayed there. It is beautiful, with lots to do and the kids would make friends there.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies... I think I will look a bit more into Sunriver, all the activities do sound good and look more closly at the number of nights at Hood River and CL...

Thanks again...
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Sorry, I'm not a Cannon Beach Fan.
We stayed here when our kids were little.

http://www.trillian.com/rockpark/rock.htm
right next to the state park and the ocean.
There's also the cool resort with the cabins on the south side of the bridge with the indoor pool, whose name escapes me at the moment.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:25 PM

We spent a night in Yachats at the Overleaf, and the night we arrived (and the next morning) it was completely fogged in. One of the receptionists there told us that Yachats was in an area of the central coast that did tend to be more foggy than other areas. Sure enough, as soon as we left, the fog lifted.
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 02:39 PM

If this trip were mine, I would opt for Cannon Beach. Our kids have loved it for years and there is so much to do right there.

Sunriver is also a place our family goes to often. From Crater Lake to Sunriver is only 90 minutes. Sunriver has so much to offer, right on site as well as within a few minutes. Lodging at Sunriver is nice in that you can rent a home, condo, or stay in one of their lodges. Check out their website to see everything that is available. Just outside of Sunriver is the High Desert Museum, Lava Butte and the Lava Cave, all of which are must sees.

Newport is ok, but it comes in 2nd for our family. I like the charm of Cannon Beach and being able to walk everywhere. Newport is more spread out and doesn't have the charm. The beach is not as scenic either, IMO.
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 03:57 PM
EBZ
Original Poster

I'm back with a few more questions... I have been looking at vacation rentals in Yachats and have found a couple that look nice but I have also found some in Newport and wondering what people think of these areas. One is a Condo on Nye Beach and the other is townhouse on Agate Beach. How would these beaches rate over staying in Yachats?

Thanks again,

Beth
Old Aug 19th, 2010, 04:59 PM

I like the Nye Beach area - usually stay there at least once a year. There are several decent restaurants and shops close by, short drive to the aquarium - the kids will enjoy watching the sea lions who come to docks in Old Town and entertain the tourists- there is also an Undersea World-
There is a lighthouse you can tour complete with a ghost - so think you will find plenty to do.

If you decide on Nye Beach, can give you some restaurant suggestions- I was just there a month ago.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:45 AM

Nye Beach generally refers to an area of the 5-mile-long beach at Newport. As sunbum says, there are lots of things to do around there. But it's not as compact as at Cannon Beach, where you can easily walk to most everything.

Agate Beach is a few miles north of Newport. I can't recall what kinds of commercial services are near there, but I'm guessing not many. So you probably wouldn't be walking to dinner and shopping etc.

I'm sure you'd enjoy either, provided you're not expecting to find the things you say you loved about Cannon Beach.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:00 AM

I too like Nye beach, but from what you are describing what you want, I still think Cannon Beach is your best bet.
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Sandy beach, tide pools, Crater Lake? Instead of Yachats, stay at Bandon--it's a pleasant town. It is closer to Crater Lake than Yachats, and it has more restaurants, shops, etc.

HTTY
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 09:38 AM
EBZ
Original Poster

Yes I agree about Newport as I look more closely at the area I don't think that is what I am looking for. I loved Cannon Beach but my DH really wants to check out another area of the coast so... I think I will look at Bandon too.

Thanks again for all the advice.