Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Candlewood Suites Arboretum Austin TX (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/candlewood-suites-arboretum-austin-tx-1013015/)

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 30th, 2014 02:41 PM

Candlewood Suites Arboretum Austin TX

Is this hotel a good choice for staying in Austin?

We are visiting relatives and will have a car.

It seems convenient for the suburbs, close to mall, movie theatre, restaurants.

Thin

AustinTraveler Apr 30th, 2014 04:01 PM

Most visitors prefer to stay downtown, but if you are there to visit relatives in the burbs, this location is excellent.

AustinTraveler Apr 30th, 2014 04:02 PM

Of course, I am assuming that the relatives live in the north burbs, not south. If they live south, then no, no, no. Traffic in Austin is awful.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 30th, 2014 06:32 PM

What do you mean by awful?

I live in Philadelphia! ROFL!

How far is Arboretum from State Capitol Building?

Thanks for any help you can give before we book a room for June 10.

Thin

AustinTraveler Apr 30th, 2014 06:48 PM

The Arboretum area is about 15 minutes from downtown during non-commute hours. Off traffic times are not bad but during traffic (3-7pm) it is a bear. Austin has not planned at all for the influx of people moving there. Just plan your day around traffic and you'll be fine.

We used to live about 10 minutes south of the Arboretum area and sometimes getting to downtown would take 30 minutes. Totally ridiculous! About five years ago that drive was never more than 10 minutes.

Austin is a cool place and lots of fun, but it is quickly jumping the shark, so to speak. Just too many people in an area of too little planning.

Pepper_von_snoot Apr 30th, 2014 06:53 PM

Thanks, AustinT.

Where would you stay if you were visiting Austin?

Thin

elburr May 1st, 2014 06:48 AM

If you want to stay in the Arboretum area I highly recommend the Homewood Suites hotel. I've also stayed at the Courtyard nearby but it isn't nearly as nice as the Homewood Suites. I agree with AustinTraveler that the traffic heading into town can be terrible depending on the time of day.

AustinTraveler May 1st, 2014 09:25 AM

If I were visiting Austin I would stay downtown near or on Town Lake (now officially known as Ladybird Lake, although nobody calls it that). I am a walker so I would have no problem exploring all of downtown and the South Congress area on foot. Also, walking around the lake is awesome.

Traffic is awful for a city of its size but if you avoid rush hour and avoid I-35 at all times, you will be fine.

Pepper_von_snoot May 1st, 2014 08:04 PM

Would the Omni or the Intercontinental be better?

We have never been to Austin.

The Radisson Downtown is booked.

Thin

AustinTraveler May 1st, 2014 08:15 PM

Between the two I would definitely go with the Intercontinental.

Pepper_von_snoot May 2nd, 2014 06:55 AM

Thank you.

Thin

Pepper_von_snoot May 7th, 2014 05:36 PM

Is the Arboretum Mall close to The Domain (mall)?

It looks to be close on a map of Austin.

Thin

Pepper_von_snoot May 7th, 2014 06:10 PM

That is the Great Hills Mall at Arboretum.

Thin

AustinTraveler May 8th, 2014 07:12 AM

I guess technically the Arboretum is a "mall" but nobody ever calls it that. Anyway, it does have Barnes & Nobles, Restoration Hardware, Pottery Barn, and a few other stores. It is probably less than a 10 minute drive to the Domain.

Pepper_von_snoot May 8th, 2014 01:49 PM

Thank you.

Do you know of any hotels near St. Edward's University in S Austin?

Thin

AustinTraveler May 8th, 2014 03:38 PM

No, I really don't know South Austin very well except for the South Congress area. The University is only a mile or so further down South Congress. I think you would really enjoy the Hotel San Jose, so I'm bummed they don't have availability. You might also check out Kimber Modern and Saint Cecilia. Both are in the vicinity of the San Jose, but again about a mile or so from the University.

Another option would be the Austin Motel. It's right by the San Jose and basically just a 60's style motel, but Austin funky cool. It's usually booked too though.

Sorry I can't help more. I honestly wouldn't go further south than St. Edward's Univ. looking for a hotel. That area just isn't the nicest.

Pepper_von_snoot May 8th, 2014 04:17 PM

Thanks for the help.

Thin