Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Cancelled trip to Europe ... New ENgland suggestions?

Cancelled trip to Europe ... New ENgland suggestions?

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:24 AM
Kate

Cancelled trip to Europe ... New ENgland suggestions?

Hi all. My boyfriend and I just cancelled our long-planned and much anticipated trip to Spain (was next week) due to apprehension and uncertainty about the global situation. I still want to get away for a day or two ... Can anyone recommend a good 2-3 night getaway from NYC? We'll be renting a car and are willing to drive up to 6 hours. Would like to head up towards New England. Will all the fall foliage be gone if we go Oct 15-17 or Oct 22-24? (We know most places will be booked so we figured we'd go during the workweek). ANy particular towns or inns or B&Bs you can recommend that might still have availability? We just want to relax, maybe do some shopping/antiquing (so someplace that has reasonably priced antique stores or "junk stores" works better than a really $$$ area). Any advice would be much appreciated! Kate

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:28 AM
BTilke

You'll be missing peak foliage in most NE places, I believe, and in northern NE, the leaves will be pretty brown. But NE would still be beautiful and the crowds will have thinned.
Look at the Snowvillage Inn at www.snowvillageinn.com. The rooms with fireplaces are especially nice.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:32 AM
russ i

Kate,

They are predicting that Eastern Mass. will peak about 10/17. You can see a map on www.massvacation.com. Choose "fall foliage" then "timing". We we be there then too. Have fun.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:33 AM
Kate

What about in Connecticut, lower Mass or Upstate NY? We don't need to go all the way to Vermont / NH ... I just need some good suggestions for cozy/romantic places to stay. I did so much research for the Spain trip and I don't have it in me to plan another vacation ... help!

Oct 3rd, 2001, 09:58 AM
mei

Hi Kate,

My boyfriend and I also cancelled our trip to Europe (Paris) due to the current situation. I was so disappointed because we've been planning it since March. Instead we've made plans for a week in Maine. I guess many people have thought of similar alternatives.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:00 AM
Joanne

For late october, your best bet is Rhode Island. Newport would be fun.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:18 AM
Ginny

Since you sadly nixed Europe why not head up to Quebec City in Canada. I went one year when I could not afford Europe love it. I would check out and see if they get snow in the surrounding mountains. It is gorgeous, fly if you only want to stay for three days. So sorry about your trip. I am thinking I should cancel a November trip to Paris. Not afraid to fly just concerned about the economy. Good Luck Kate. You can still have a great time,chin up and all that sort of thing.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:19 AM
Ginny

P.S I suggested Quebec city because it has a heavy French influence as does the country side. So it is a close second destination when you can't get to Europe.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 12:54 PM
pete

Two recommendations, Newport and Maine. Newport is a lot of fun with restaurants, bars, the mansions, good scenery. I'd recommend the Newport Bay Club as a place to stay. It's actually a timeshare with 1 and 2 bedroom apartments right at the "wave" statue on the main street through Newport. We stayed in a 1 bedroom unit in June last year for about $100 per night, it was nice to have the extra room. I think that they have a website. Do check and see if all the Newport mansions will be open. There are a couple open year round, but others close during the winter.

Maine is also beautiful. I recommend the Five Gables Inn in East Boothbay. Very nice B&B with 15 rooms, located down a private lane across from the water. I don't know how much will be open in Boothbay at that time of year though. Another suggestion is the Harraseeket Inn in Freeport. All the outlets will be open, and the lighthouse s and other sights are easy trips from Freeport. Both the five gables and the Harraseeket have websites.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 01:08 PM
fran

The Homestead Inn in Greenwich CT is a very short drive from NYC but is like another world in ambiance. Greenwich is beautiful and the Homestead is great. The inn has a fabulous restaurant and the rooms are cozy and relaxing.

Oct 3rd, 2001, 02:02 PM
ellie

Today's Boston Globe was loaded with ads for Inns and resorts in New England which would generally be fully booked at this time of year. LL Bean even had a coupon for $10 off a $100 purchase at their Freeport store - all this leads one to believe that business is way down which could work to your advantage. There are several comprehensive websites which list Inns, B&Bs, etc and allow you to check room availability (warning: information is not always updated as well as it might be and therefore may be innacurate - so always call to make the actual reservation). There are many wonderful places to try. A few of our favorites are: The Inn at Windham Hill in West Townsend, Vt, The Inn at Round Barn Farm in Waitsfield, Vt, The Inn by the Sea in Cape Elizabeth, ME, the Weathervane Inn in South Egremont, MA and Breakfast on the Connecticut in Lyme, NH (all peaceful locations) - but there are so many other charming possibilities. Yankee Magazine has a website with loads of info on accomodations and links to the various home websites. If you have time, you might want to invest in a couple of books which review and describe small hotels - some I find very good are: America's Favorite Inns, B&Bs and Small Hotels (New England edition), The Discerning Travelers Guide to Romantic Hideaways of New England and Best Places to Stay in New England. Good luck - someday we'll all feel better about air travel and you'll get that wonderful trip to Spain - in the meantime, enjoy our own back yard!

Oct 3rd, 2001, 05:46 PM
Sylvia

Kate - I too had to cancel our Sept. 15 trip to Greece and Italy after 15 months of planning. Instead we went to Disney World - not the same, but had fun.
I second the post of going to Rhode Island. I went last October and it was SPECTACULAR!! We stayed in the Viking Hotel in Newport.
If you go, try the chowder at the Black Pearl restaurant

Oct 4th, 2001, 03:13 AM
Sharon

Check out the Friends Lake Inn located in the Adirondacks (www.friendslake.com) which is a beautiful lakefront inn. Very romantic, relaxing with an award winning restaurant and wine cellar. Hard to say if the foliage will be done by then - I live about an hour south of the inn and the foliage is just starting to get colorful here.

Oct 4th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Beth

Yep, I think Newport would be fun in October, too. Check to see if the mansions are still open for tours, walk along the beach, shopping, dining, and even a winery in nearby Middletown.
You may also want to check out Cape Ann on the Massachusetts northshore. Rockport for gift shops, Essex for antiquing, Salem for the Halloween tourist traps, and some pretty nice dining and scenery all the way around! If you go, be sure to visit the Hammond Castle Museum in Gloucester.
If you go to Maine, you don't have to go far north for great seafood and scenery. Try Ogunquit and its Perkins Cove! It is really adorable, lots of antiquing on Rt. 1, and outlets in nearby Kittery.
If you let us know what area you pick, I can post more specific suggestions. Hope you have fun!

Oct 4th, 2001, 08:16 AM
Kate

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We've narrowed the trip down to CT or NY (or PA) b/c my boyfriend prefers to stay nearish to home. I prefer CT, Litchfield Hills region. We tried calling Hopkins Inn suggested on this board, but it's full. ANy other ideas? Our tickets to Spain were nonrefundable, so we're out a substantial amoutn of money and are consequently looking for something at $120/night tops.... we're looking for weeknights (M 15th - T 16th), which might help w/ price and availability.

Oct 4th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Kathy

Kate- My husband and I just got back from a weekend in southern Maine Sept 29/30. You will see beautiful foliage on your drive up to southern Maine still into Oct, remember it's on the coast, and the leaves change later the closer you get to the coast. We stayed in an absolutely wonderful inn just south of Portland called the Black Point Inn. They have a web site-same name. Water on two sides, Winslow Homer had a studio within walking didtance, great food,rooms,waiters. I sat on a porch in a rocking chair sipping afternoon tea watching birds walk on the beach and felt my blood presure drop, and my cares blow away. We will definat;ly go back! Portland has a great 'old-town' area, the art museum has an exhibit of American Impressionists from the Smithsonian. Loved It!!

Oct 4th, 2001, 08:32 AM
tom

you might want to look into the Lake George area. There are many accomodation options available from B&Bs, to motels, to resorts. www.lakegeorge.com has a pretty comprehensive website for accomodations, restaurants, activities, etc.

Search this Thread