Canadian family needs NY hotel advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am having the TOUGHEST time chosing a hotel. I'm going to NY with my brother, 16, and my parents in mid-March. I want this to be a great vacation, so I want to stay in a nice place. However, there's a catch. Everything costs us almost double due to the exchange rate. So, where $200 CAN for a room would be an expense I might consider, $200 US is just not an option.
We want to stay in the theatre district. I'd like to spend $100-$150, preferably on the lower side of that.
Most places that fit this description get an "OK" rating - with lack of cleanliness/sleazyness being an issue with these places.
These places include:
-The Portland Square Hotel
-The Herald Square
-The HoJo on 8th
-The Ramada New Yorker - stayed here before, found it kind of grundgy.

The Belvedere is my first choice, but the price is a little high. The problem is that it costs a lot more to have two extra ppl in the room. Is there a way around this?

What advice can you give me? Are there any great deals that I'm missing? What would you suggest?

Thanks a lot!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 02:13 PM

Have you tried quikbook.com? They have very good rates for Manhattan.
I think you will get better rates and hotels if you consider other areas in Manhattan besides Times Square. I saw that The Holiday Inn Martinique, across the st from Macys, has rooms with 2 double beds for $115/nt, with kids under 18 free. It's a convient area, and I know people who stayed there and said it's a good , clean place to stay.

Also, if you or a family member has an American Express Card, I would bid on priceline.com, and you will be able to get a great rate, possibly getting 2 rooms for a low rate.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 03:41 PM

Anthony is right - go to quickbook.com, I've been watching them and recently saw the Roosevelt for $105, DaVinci for $95, and the West Park for $106, none are "posh" but all are clean, well located and safe. Also try biz-stay.com just came across this the other day, on this site some rates are high, and some are VERY reasonable - you just have to wade through the listings.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Quikbook is great.

I'm confused about something though. When I search a hotel for 2 adults and 2 children, it gives me a certain rate ($125 for Belvedere for example), but when I actually go to book it, it asks me for bed type. The options are twin, triple or quad. The quad type is $155. Now, why would quikbook.com tell me the room is $125, if, in fact, it is actually $155. I've told them I need room for 4 in my search. Also, at the Martinique, it only offers twin and triple. Am I just misunderstanding what this "bed type" means?
Can someone help?
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:43 PM

Quad would be 4 adults.

But some hotels consider 17 and under a child, while some consider 12 and under a child.

Best to check with the individual hotel before booking a "double"through quikbook - so that you will have no surprise at arrival time.

P.S.
Have enjoyed Portland Square Hotel, but not sure if they have rooms large enough for 4.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 11:24 PM

What's up, yo?

I fly out to NY from Toronto every other month because my fiancee lives there. I hear you about the exchange rate... Man! Anyways, I highly recommend using Priceline.com. I would first go to biddingfortravel.com, which lists the bids that Priceline will take. I usually bid for Times Square hotels for $100 USD and I've gotten the Marriott Marquis, which is right in the middle of the Theatre District. It's a great hotel! Last time I was there, they upgraded me to a huge room overlooking Times Square. You can sometimes get Broadway tickets for dirt cheap on Ebay. I got Lion King for $240 USD for orchestra, which is usually $400. In CAD, that works out to a year's salary.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:23 AM

ian80:

Try the "Red Roof Inn" on 32nd street. They sometimes have rates of $99.00 US. Nice clean rooms, well located!
JOHN
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 04:58 AM

Try calling the 'quikbook' hotels directly. Ask if they have any special or discounts. Many times they offer the same discounted rates if you just ask. You can also check rates on expedia and other websites. Also, you can check for bed arrangements.
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 05:08 AM

BigDan recommnended Priceline. True, you can get great rates, BUT there is no guarantee the room can accommodate more than 2 people. Many NYC hotels only have 1 double bed and maybe room for 1 rollaway. Priceline could be risky. We've (family of 4) used it many times but, choose not to in bigger cities where this may happen. Good luck.