Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Canada to San Diego itinerary for UK couple, help please!

Dec 8th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Friends from the UK are coming to visit us in San Diego next August. They have 3 weeks. Here is their dilemma:

They can start off with the first week in Canada (Victoria BC), then heading down the coast to us in San Diego
"Is it just crazy for us in 3 weeks to try and cover a quick trip thru' the rockies (by train or car?). We'd then get down to Victoria for 3 days over a w/end ... then fly to San Francisco ... Yosemite National Park ... drive part of the coastal trip to LA ...
in and around San Diego for 15-21/22 August. . "
( I think that is a bit much for them)

The big question we were left with is how we would select our priorities, as we reckon it would just be too much to cram in 3-5 days thru the Rockies, and yet still visit both Yosemite, and the G Canyon. Would you agree?

"It may be better to skip the Rockies until another trip, and fly direct from UK to Vancouver, and spend the first few days in Victoria, before flying to SF, do Yosemite and the coastal drive, before coming to you guys. Maybe then, we could have time for the G Canyon too."

Anyway I have emailed them and told them that is one long long long drive down the coast as I have done it many years ago.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Dec 8th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I'm confused. Are they planning to go down the coast or through the Rockies? Which Rockies- Canadian or US?

Are they visit you in San Diego for 7 days ( Aug 15-21) in addition to Victoria, BC, SF, Yosemite, etc?

My first inclination is to tell them to skip either Rockies, and do it in another trip.

People from the UK often have no idea of how much distance they will have to drive.
Dec 8th, 2008, 12:46 PM

Also, it is very difficult to go "through" the rockies when travel north to south. The mountain range runs north to south, so raods "through" the Rockies go east-west. To travel north to south, they would be on a road parallel to, but not "in", the mountains.

They would end up doing a lot of back and forth detours to spend time in the mountains.

If Yosemite and the Grand Canyon aren't enough scenery for them, they could stop by Mt. Rainier in Washington State---it is just off I-5 and a very beautiful mountain.
Dec 8th, 2008, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies.
Marginal: Good question, I think the Canadian Rockies. I will email them. I think they will probably have to skip the Rockies too.
Nora: Never thought about the roads going east west..good point. Thanks
Dec 8th, 2008, 05:19 PM

You don't provide enough information for us to comment intelligently.

If they have 3 weeks, they could easily spend one in BC - visiting Victoria and then taking the train (or driving) to Calgary.

Then they could fly to SF and spend a week visiting Yosemite and driving along the coast from Monterey to San Diego.

Finally, the third week would be spent in San Diego. I'm not clear when they planned to visit the Grand Canyon. Would that be with you when in San Diego?
Dec 8th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Supericilious
I think they are just in the planning stages in regards to specific information.

However, I really like your plan, because renting a car in two different countries could become an issue as someone mentioned on the Canadian board.

I guess the GC could be part of the San Diego trip, but that too is a seven hour drive each way.
Thanks for the suggestions, I am going to email these to them and maybe they'll join this board at some poing
Dec 8th, 2008, 07:18 PM

I was thinking the GC was the place they should skip. They should be able to fit everything else in.
Dec 9th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Barbara
My BF just mentioned the same thing. However, I do not know yet what are must see items. It is so hard to prioritize . Thank you
Dec 9th, 2008, 07:13 AM

Another possibility:

Instead of flying into Toronto and then driving through mostly boring landscape for about 4500km, tell them to fly into either Edmonton or Calgary. I believe either British Airways and/or Air Canada have non-stops from London to both cities. At that point they are only about 800km from Vancouver and basically the majority of the drive will be through the Rockies as soon as they leave either city.

Spend some time in Vancouver.

Drop off the car, and take a train to Seattle.

Rent a car there and begin the coastal part of the trip.

The time they will save not doing the long drive through mostly flat part of Canada will probably allow them a quick trip to GC.
Dec 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM

They will need to consider the possibility of additional one-way car rental charges if they want to drop the car off at a different location than the original rental. These can be very steep ( hundreds of dollars), so it could actually impact their trip itinerary.

I would recommend they do a Vancouver/BC/Vancouver Island week, skip the Rockies, do a SF-Yosemite week, drive down the coast to SD to see you and skip Grand Canyon. It will be pretty miserable visiting Grand Canyon in August.
Dec 9th, 2008, 07:55 AM

And, if they really want to stay in Yosemit, which is best, they will need reservations ASAP.
Dec 9th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your replies. I really appreciate them and I know they do too.