Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can you negotiate on VRBO? Have you? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-you-negotiate-on-vrbo-have-you-446351/)

kgh8m Oct 13th, 2008 06:02 PM

Can you negotiate on VRBO? Have you?

I'm exploring VRBO for a Big Island rental in late November. I know that reservations in Hawaii are way down, and I'm exploring hotels/resorts vs. condo/townhouse/home rentals.

Is it possible to offer lower than the posted price on VRBO, and have you any experience with this?

lcuy Oct 13th, 2008 06:28 PM

Certainly can't hurt to try, but I would do it gently. Don't want the unless the owner to get offended and refuse to rent to you.

lcuy Oct 13th, 2008 06:29 PM

Oops, that should have said, "You don't want the owner to get offended..."

rascat Oct 13th, 2008 06:32 PM

I can't answer for Hawaii, but we have negotiated with owners on VRBO in Colorado during ski season, and a beach house in Florida.

Our travel plans are often last minute, so if an owner still has a vacant unit, they have usually worked with us.

We've only had one owner who took offense that we asked, and after a couple of emails, it became apparent she was more than a little high strung...

jerryw Oct 13th, 2008 06:38 PM

I advertise my BI condo on vrbo and can tell you my experience.

Some condo owners HAVE already reduced their prices--many times its reflected in the heading. If one owner in that complex has done so, chances are that other owners will.

This is especially true on last minute bookings.

I personally have lowered my price by 20% already and reflect that in my heading.

I'm heading to HI myself this winter and will try to snag some last minute deals on the other islands as well.

Thanks for spending your dollars in HI! It's appreciated!

kgh8m Oct 13th, 2008 06:38 PM

Thanks! I'll be very cautious and respectful.

Tempusfugit Oct 13th, 2008 06:42 PM

Try it - bi=ut don't go too far

cd Oct 14th, 2008 04:03 AM

kgh9m
We have rented many times VRBO and they are usually my first chice to check out. We were going to Hawaii for 5wks ( have since cancelled) this winter. I found many that I liked both in Oahu and the BI. I would email with additional questions and ask what their price is for the time we wanted. Once I received all my answers, we would make a decision. I email everyone who sumitted an offer to tell them thanks but we selected another facility and usually price was the reason why. I've had many email me with a better offer should we want to reconsider.

Here is one that I can recommend on the BI if you're interested. The owners were wonderful to work with and promply returned our deposit when we cancelled. The house is new, attached to their home. It has a hot tub overlooking the ocean which was a draw for me.:http://www.vrbo.com/198935

JohnD Oct 14th, 2008 04:13 AM

We tried asking for lower rates than posted on <font color="blue">vrbo<font color="black"> on this year's visit and were politely =; referred to other units with less features than the unit we were responding to, but within our desired price range.

We found that paying the rental by check rather than <font color="blue">paypal<font color="black"> may offer a modest $-) savings.</font></font></font></font>

kelliebellie Oct 14th, 2008 05:56 AM

Occasionally when I've said that I decline the rental because I say I didn't want to pay that much, an owner has come back and asked what I would pay.

mauigirl50 Oct 14th, 2008 08:56 AM

I've used VRBO many times for my Hawaii trips &amp; for the last couple, I didn't ask for a lower price, but did indicate that I was debating between 8-10 nights &amp; asked if I chose 10 nights, could I get a free night. Both times the owner readily agreed to give me a free night. Dianne

kgh8m Oct 14th, 2008 10:32 AM

Thanks to all. So far, I've asked one owner if the 7 nt rate could apply to my 4 nt stay (no; but a lower rate for the 4 nts was offered).

I've now made an inquiry on another and will see what that turns up.

I'm trying to choose the units that don't have as many bookings, hoping that they will be more flexible to at least get the property occupied.

irishswampyankee Oct 14th, 2008 11:47 AM

We always negotiate and have been lucky enough to find some willing owners. One would think that, with tourism so far off, some $$ would be better than none. Good luck.

elkhound Oct 14th, 2008 11:52 AM

kgh8m: I just went through the process of booking a VRBO rental for our trip to Oahu in April. I found that you can't trust the booking calendars for many of the VRBO listings. When I contacted the owners about the availability of units that were open on the calendars, many told me that they don't bother keeping the calendar current. I sent out about 30 requests and only got back six that were actually available. So, don't let the calendars drive your choices.

janiekins Oct 14th, 2008 11:52 AM

Two years ago I negotiated on a VRBO home in Sonoma (Wine Country)California.

NeoPatrick Oct 14th, 2008 01:36 PM

Just a note. You can always catch more flies with honey than vinegar. It's never a good idea to start with suggesting that you're looking for a lower price. But start with how beautiful their place looks and how it's just what you're looking for. Then suggest that it is more than you were hoping to spend and asking if there is anyway they can reduce it. Pointing out that you are &quot;low maintenance&quot; people with few or no issues is good too.

I've been on both ends of this. With renting out a regular apartment I've been turned off completely when someone says to me &quot;your place seems too expensive for what it is&quot;. But &quot;I'd love to be able to afford to stay in your lovely apartment&quot; will do a lot better.

NeoPatrick Jul 19th, 2010 05:27 PM

When I was looking at places last year in Hawaii, I mentioned to a couple of people that since I was a single renter and very "low maintenance" I was hoping to get the place for less. And in two cases I did.

paula1470 Jul 19th, 2010 06:01 PM

When I was going to Maui a few years ago, I was able to get a lower rate but it was more last minute. I did ask very nicely!!

I have also negotiated rates in Arizona. I usuallly look at a few units to see how rentals are filling up. If things are slow for that time period, I usually ask for a lower rate. Some people were willing to do it and others not. One lady said no but a couple of weeks later emailed me back and asked if I was still looking. I guess she decided the lower rate was better than an empty rental.

portiaperu Jul 19th, 2010 07:34 PM

NeoPatrick is correct. Your negotiating approach does make a difference.

I advertise my vacation rental on vrbo (on homeaway as well, which owns vrbo) and will lower my weekly rate on occasion depending on a variety of variables.

My home is in New England, at the ocean, and the peak rental season is ten to twelve weeks of summer, I generally do not reduce my rates for summer since the area is extremely desirable.

I might reduce my weekly rate if it's a week that I know I will have difficulty renting at full price. For example, the last week of August can be tough - school is beginning for some families and others want to be at home to prepare for school.

I'll negotiate rental rates for Spring and Fall weeks because there is less interest in visiting the area off season, although this is changing as people learn of the savings they can realize and still enjoy the area except for sunning and swimming which tapers off mid-September. (It doesn't have to taper off of course. It just seems there are other things to do when summer vacation season is considered to be "over".)

I don't negotiate with people who demand a discount, propose an absurd discount in their first communication with me, or suggest my home is advertised at an inflated rate. If you're going to negotiate make certain you have some knowledge about the local rental market and comparable properties. This can be hard to ascertain from the text and photos on vrbo and requires some research.

I am gentle in refusing even the most audacious inquiries and will often advise people to look at particular houses or other areas that I am familiar with and feel will fit their price range. This is a good strategy for owners - if there are owners reading this column - because some of the people who feel my home is overpriced look elsewhere, find it's priced right for it's location and features, and reconnect to rent.

You will likely run across people who will not negotiate because they don't HAVE TO rent their home. There are owners that rent to be able to meet the mortgage; there are owners who rent because their business is rentals or it's a significant percentage of their income; and then there are those that only rent the periods they are not planning to use their home - and they may very well leave the house unoccupied rather than rent to someone that has been unpleasant or disagreeable.

I recommend you "get to know" the owner or property manager before suggesting a discount:

Tell them about yourself and other members of your party. Newlyweds? Children? Grandparents? Two or more couples?

Talk about why you're visiting the area. What interests do you enjoy?

Have you always wanted to visit? Are you returning because it's your most favorite place on earth?

Ask intelligent questions about the house and environs to demonstrate your interest.

In other words, create rapport with the person you want to ask for a favor - and reducing the rental price is a type of favor. Don't start by asking for a lower rate. First, determine if the house is right for you. Don't waste the owner's time but do take a few moments to have a conversation.

Yikes, I do go on . . . .

Hope this is helpful and that no one ends up with bruised feelings as you look for your ideal rental!

NeoPatrick Jul 20th, 2010 05:14 AM

portiaperu, great hints. I invariably feel I end up "knowing" the owners of most of the rentals I've done and I think they feel comfortable and safe having me in their rental or home.