Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can you buy scissors in the airport stores?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 01:34 PM
anon

I liveoverseas and tonight on our news they were showing how ridiculous it is for the airlines to take away scissors, nail clippers, etc from us when once you go through security, and take a look inside some of the stores, you can buy scissors, razors, cork screws, a mushroom board that had a very large razor on it that anyone could take off and use, etc.
Even in the kids section they had scissors.
They found in another store a mini sewing kit with little scissors in it, even pins and needles.
They even went inside an airlines lounge for club card members and first class passengers. There was no one around looking but there were trays ready with fruit on them and had steel knives.
They easily took it and put it in their bag and went to the plane and got on. No problems.
It was unreal.
I am wondering if the airports in the US are any better.
Has anyone noticed?

Old Oct 1st, 2001, 10:13 PM
Cali

I live in LA and was recently in Minneapolis and you can't buy any of the above in airport stores at either airport. Also, both airports don't even allow food service workers to use knives so think they are trying to keep all those kinds of things far away from the airports. I do wonder how you cook without a knife tho - can't imagine a restaurant without one.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 05:59 AM
TC

I flew Northwest Airline after 9/11 and found large metal corkscrews laying openly in the galleys even though I was told by a flight attendant (on that flight) that the corkscrews and "anything sharp" had been removed. I find it difficult to be comforted by most of the PR put out by airlines right now.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:34 AM
Suzie

The difference now though is that everyone is aware of the lengths that hijackers will go to to carry out their missions. Previously we all believed that, if hijacked, we would end up landing at a different destination. Now though, chances are that passengers' lives are in danger and no one is going to let scissors, box cutters, pins or needles get in the way of taking out the hijackers. No longer will passengers be complacent on airplanes if threatend by a sharp object.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:41 AM
xxx

Suzie,

Not much is certain in this world. But I can think of one. There will not be another plane hijacked using just boxcutters, nail scissors, or corkscrews.

Next time, the terrorists will have automatic weapons and plenty of clips. These will be hidden on board by a clean-up crew, or a food service employee. This is easy to do, because there is precious little security on the ground to prevent it. The first few passengers who rush the terrorists will be gunned down, the rest will cower in fear, and the plane will be crashed into a packed football stadium in the Midwest, before fighter jets have even gotten off the ground.

That is why the alleged security measures of confiscating nail clippers is a pitiful and sad joke.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 09:45 AM
Suzie

Ok, xxx I'm glad my trip is already over.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 01:24 PM
abc

I know that what xxx wrote may be very scary to most, but it is true.
So much has been discussed about security changes inside and no one has thought about the outside.
This is one reason some airlines stopped serving food on certain flights.
We have to think about baggage handlers, food suppliers, gas people, mechanics, etc.
Everyone that we see and don't see running around the tarmac and behind the walls from where we are inside.

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 02:49 PM
duh

Gee, all you security experts should be working for and/or advising our government.
What ever happened to the good old days when all you people ever talked about were conspiracy theories!