Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can we do Rocky Mt NP and CO Springs in 3 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2000, 06:49 PM
Marie

My husband and I and our 6 and 4 year old children will be in Denver for 3 days for a family wedding in mid-June. We have 3 more days to spend in CO and we'd like to see both RMNP and CO Springs. Is it a good idea to try to see both or will we be too rushed? If we must choose one, which one should it be? Thank you!! Marie

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 04:00 AM
Paul Rabe

What a "lovely" dilemma! The area you are visiting is one of my favorites; and I could spend a week at EITHER.

However, this includes several days of mountain hiking, not everyone's favorite. If you limit yourself to driving, you could probably see all of Rocky Mountain NP's roads in one day. The drives of Colorado Springs would take at least two days; or perhaps more depending on how many mountain drives you want to try. I'd thus recommend either three days in Colorado Springs, or one day in RM and two in CS.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 06:01 AM
Bob Brown

You can do it, but I want to suggest that you take into account that your energy may slow down in RCMP because of the altitude. You can easily be above 9,000 feet and altitude problems can set in at 8,000 feet. So if the children or you feel a headache, it is altitude.
I don't know where you live, but we live at sea level. Going suddenly from home to Estes Park is something that we feel.
We like to spend one night in Denver before hand and then go up. The change can hit some people hard. Fatigure, lassitude, headache, loss of appetite all can take their toll. The feeling that you have is not "just in your head." There is a good physiological basis for it.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 07:22 AM
carolyn

I found Rocky Mountain National Park scenery much lovelier than the "red rock" look of Colorado Springs.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Kelly Hayes

We went to Colorado Springs a few years ago and are making a trip to the RMNP area this year. Seems like a lot of driving to try and cover both in only 3 days. But, if you don't mind a lot of car time, Colorado Springs was a lovely area - Manitou Springs historical town, very close by is recommended as is the drive or cog rail ride up to Pikes Peak. The cog is expensive but still fun. Colorado Springs has some wonderful hiking areas nearby. There are red rock areas and then areas like the Black Forest which are very green and lush. Don't bother with the "Royal Gorge" - big tourist trap and not all that spectacular in comparison to other sites.

Old Apr 17th, 2000, 06:49 PM
pacrat

We spent 5 days in colorado 2 years ago, drove hundreds of miles but saw and did a lot.
RMNP is a day trip and worthwhile, about 1 hour north of Denver. In one day you can see the visitors center and drive Trail Ridge Road. The town of Estes park is touristy, not worth more than an hour to have a meal.
From RMNP, I would recommend driving all the way to Colorado Springs area, maybe 2.5- 3 hours and spend the last 2 days there.
Dont miss the Air Force Academy, you need a few hours there, we visited the Olympic training facility, 2 hours. We spent a few hours in Red rock park.
The highlight is the cog railway up Pikes Peak, allow the bulk of the third day for that. We also took a quick trip into a cave in Manitou springs- maybe 1.5 hours..
Had a western dinner at a hoedown ranch in Colorado springs, I think it was the FLying W ranch, dinner and western show. Kind of a cheesy park to visit before the show. The meal and western hoedown were memorable.
In the 5 days we were in Colorado we also saw Aspen and Vail, as well as the Red Rock amphitheatre, Buffalo Bills's grave.
We felt we had to see as much as possible, we are not sure we will be out there again soon.
Interstate driving is fast from the RMNP area to Colorado Springs. RMNP is about an hour north of Boulder on state roads.
We stayed at a very nice Fairfield Inn in colorado Springs, right off the Interstate and very convenient.

Old Apr 18th, 2000, 06:40 AM
Bob Brown

If you go to Rocky Mountain NP, I highly
recommend the drive over Trail Ridge Road, if it is open. (It should be open by mid June unless there is an unexpected heavy snow fall in late May or early June. But, one never knows.)
Another beautiful hike, if you have time, is the walk up to Alberta Falls.
It is fairly short, but at this
time of year water should be gushing over the falls.
The Falls are on a trail that goes up to a beautiful little pond called The Loch.
With small children, you probably don't have time for that. It would be a little hard on a 4 year old, and on the parent who has to do the carrying, but my son was 6 when he first went up there with us. (And guess where he is going this summer??!! It has been 34 years since he was there, but he saw some old photos in our stack of slides and decided he wanted to go back and take his son, who is now 7.)
Bear Lake as I recall is easy to reach and the setting is beautiful. Also, ask the Ranger at the Visitor Center where you can get a good view of Long's Peak.
It is worth a peek or two. (No pun intended.) If Trail Ridge is open and you take the drive, Long's Peak is clearly visible to the south on a clear day. Too bad you don't have more time for that part of Colorado. But it will be a good introduction and it can serve as a scouting trip for future expeditions.
(I know our first trip to the Canadian Rockies was a scouting type of trip. We spent a night or two all over. In subsequent years we have gone back to places we identified on the first trip for longer stays and more detailed wandering around.)

Old Apr 20th, 2000, 07:42 PM
arjay

Have been to both places (camped at RMNP when our kids were in the primary grades, and many family visits to CS) -- but what all the posters here seem to overlook is that Marie's kids are 4 & 6. And last time, I heard, ain't NO 4 & 6 year old happy lookin' at scenery for hours and hours from the back seat of a car! Nor are they the best hiking partners you could find. A picnic adventure (brief) in RMNP might be fun for them, but not an hours-long exploration. If you head down towards the Springs, there is a neat interesting zoo at Manitou, and it's mountain setting makes it fun for adults too. In all my years of CS-ing, I've somehow never done the Manitou Incline, so don't know whether to suggest that. Another big treat for kids is Michele's Ice Cream parlor in downtown CS.

Marie, I'd suggest you re-post asking for CS/RNMP ideas WITH little ones. And happy traveling to you!

Old Apr 21st, 2000, 04:37 PM
Annette

I've been to both places 3 times; the last time was 2 years ago when my kids were 10 and 5. DEFINITELY Colorado Springs is more kid-friendly, although not nearly as beautiful and majestic as RMNP! My kids loved Garden of the Gods, the Manitou Cliff Dwellings, the hokey, but great fun at the Flying W Ranch and, of course, the pool at the Quality Inn Garden of the Gods! We had a fun dinner at The Hungry Farmer and we toured the Air Force Academy. All in all, I think there are more activities for kids in Colorado Springs...RMNP is great scenery--the best, but I think the kids may get a little bored with the Park and Estes Park in a day or two. Have a great trip!