Can't forget eating!

Search

Can't forget eating!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 01:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't forget eating!

We're touring southern Utah for 10 days this late Aug/early Sept.

With all your posts, we're getting things lined up.

Does anyone have any advice on dining out? We'll be staying at GC South Rim 2 nights, Springdale 2 nights, 2 nights either Bryce, Panguitch, or Tropic (any advice here for lodging/dining/driving distances??) Then it's on to Capitol Reef for 1 night, and 3 nights in Moab. Then it's flying out of Grand Junction, back to reality!

You guys have so many good ideas! Keep up the good work!

Old Mar 23rd, 2006, 04:40 PM

If you're staying in Torrey for Capitol Reef, check out Cafe Diablo. Or stop in at Hell's Backbone Grill at the Boulder Mtn Lodge in Boulder, in between Bryce and Torrey. In Springdale, we enjoy Oscar's.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Tropic - (entire town is about 100 yards long). Hoodoo Cafe - located in a building that is combined restaurant, gift shop, gas station, general store, candy shop. We ate there 3 years ago (hope it has not changed) and had a great, if not gourmet, meal. Local trout, great pie.

Had lunch at restaurant inside Bryce NP - it was fine for lunch, no idea about dinner.

See post some days ago about dining at GC South Rim - not a lot of choices, but some commentary.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 03:54 AM

In Springdale we had a great dinner at the local chinese.Bryce we stayed in Hatch.Capitol reef try Torrey. For Moab we stayed at the Apache motel(where John Wayne stayed when making movies in the neighbourhood);pAUL
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:16 AM

Grand Canyon - we enjoyed the dinner at El Tovar. Food was pretty good and service was great. Nice setting (no view of canyon though). Had lunch in Arizona Room which does have a view of the Canyon and it was good, too. Terrible service and just o.k. food (like a Denny's or diner) at the Bright Angel restaurant but we did have a dinner and a breakfast here. Not many other choices. Got snacks at Hermits Rest but I remember quite a few bees.

Bryce - BC Lodge dining room is where we had all our meals. Nothing terrific, service a bit slow but you don't have many other choices.

Springdale - went to Bit & Spur because many here recommended it. Not impressed at all. Some have said it's gone down hill. Spotted Dog Cafe at Flanigan's (where we stayed) was pretty good.

Basically I would say that you shouldn't expect wonderful meals on this vacation. They won't be bad they just won't be what you remember of your trip.

We were there late August/early September 2004. FABULOUS trip.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 07:35 AM

Sounds like a great itinerary! I hope you plan on driving scenic Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef. If you do, then you would be better off staying either at Bryce or Tropic to save driving back and forth between Panguitch.

Utahtea

Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:19 AM

Hi Beetles,

Cafe Diablo in Torrey and Hells Backbone Grill in Boulder will both require advance res.

In Moab, I like the Moab Brewery and Poplar Cafe.

Sprindale, Zion Pizza & Noodle is good and very reasonable. I'll be trying the Spotted Dog tonight for the first time and will report back.

Have fun!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Wow--Thanks everyone! I'm copying and pasting your responses into my "Utah Trip" folder on my Desktop!!

Thanks so much!!
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Utahtea--Forgot your question--yes, absolutely we're doing Hwy. 12!! We're so excited! Beetles
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I liked Miguel's Baja Grill in Moab. The margaritas were super yummy!

In Springdale, I liked Zion Pizza & Noodle. I thought the Spotted Dog Cafe was just okay. Most of the menu items were unavailable the night we were there. I really wanted a steak after hiking and they were out, so I'm sure that skewed my opinion. For the most part the reviews seem to be good. I'll be interested in Dayle's report.

In Bryce, we ate out of our cooler - sandwiches, fruit, beer, etc. The options appeared to be limited and people were lined up at the restaurant at Ruby's.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:06 AM

NAVAJO FRY BREAD! DON'T KNOW WHERE IT IS, BUT FIND SOME WHILE OUT THERE.
Old Mar 24th, 2006, 10:47 AM

As you head away from the South Rim you will pass Cameron. The Cameron Trading Post is a great place for lunch. Their Navajo Tacos can easily feed two people, and the place itself is lots of fun. If you approach Bryce from the west and pass thru Hatch, there is a tiny, somewhat run down looking Mexican place called Escobar's. Possibly the best Mxican food I've ever had. We had lunch at Ruby's - it was ok, typical truck stop type burgers and chili.
Old Mar 26th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Very bad experience at the Spotted Dog in Springdale Friday night. See trip report...