Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can't decide - Westin Maui or Hyatt Regency Maui?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My friend and I are in our "young" sixties, so children's facilities are certainly not on our list of needs. We want a lovely oceanfront room in a luxurious hotel, with good service, at a great location in Kaanapali.

We are only staying 3-4 days, and probably won't rent a car, althugh that could change. I don't know if that affects the choice or not.

We are currently reserved at both, and would like to give up one of the reservations as soon as possible.
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 03:29 PM

IMHO, the Hyatt is more luxurious than the Westin. There are also more kids at Westin thatn Hyatt because of the pools. I'd go with the Hyatt.

[We stayed at Westin 10/06, if that matters but did get to see the Hyatt when we were there for luau.]

Debi
Old Aug 4th, 2007, 09:02 PM

I agree with Debi.

The Westins great, but you'll find more kids there, I believe.
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your quick replies.

The senior rates for an ocean front room are $439.00 at the Westin, and $544.00 at the Hyatt. While we don't require children's facilities, we have no problem having children around. In October there are no school holidays, so there may not be as many children anyway. They probably will be mostly pre-scoolers.

Is it worth an extra $105.00 per day for the Hyatt?

Has anyone stayed at both to compare rooms, facilities, and service?
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 08:16 AM

There were an amazing number of children at Westin in October and not just preschool.

They were just redoing the rooms at Westin - not sure if they all got redo's. I would be sure to tell them I wanted a renovated one for that kind of nightly rate. I would also be sure to ask for a room higher up with unobstructed views. {We were on a package and had a room on second floor with really no view; that was an upgrade as they were going to give us one overlooking the parking lot}.

The Westin is a bit closer to walking to to things along the ocean path [Whaler's Village and the like], so if walking is an issue that might tip your hand.

The Hyatt has its own luau, maybe something else to sway you.

Good luck in making decision. IF it were me, I would go Hyatt.
Debi
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Except on Oahu, I generally prefer Hyatt resorts over their Starwood (Westin, Sheraton) counterparts in Hawaii even though I'm a Starwood Platinum member.

The HRM feels more upscale and less crowded than the WM. The HRM grounds are much nicer to roam.

For the HRM, did you consider obtaining Hyatt's elite stay certificates at $249/nt? But you have to ensure resort availability by calling Hyatt CS before purchasing.

BTW, the best location in Kaanapali is the Sheraton at Black Rock, which is also very worthwhile if price is a consideration
Old Aug 5th, 2007, 05:02 PM

Stayed at the Hyatt and saw the grounds, public areas of the Westin. Of the two, I would again stay at the Hyatt.

You may rethink renting a car. It's a little bit of a drive from the airport and you will be taking cabs everywhere unless you just want to walk up and down the beachwalk and check out the Whaler's Village shopping area for restaurants, etc.,