Can't Decide ... Hotel Options in Clearwater/St. Pete Beach Area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be traveling to Clearwater area over spring break (early April) for a few days. Friends have recommended the Quality Hotel in Clearwater...this forum has recommended the Clearwater Beach Hotel. But, the Sirata in St. Pete Beach looks nice ... although a bit more expensive. Help???
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 09:37 AM

Clearwater and St. Pete are miles apart in many ways. Only you can figure out where you want to be. If you're going for spring break and want to be with the masses, then go to Clearwater. If not, then go to St. Pete.

If you want to post what you're looking for then posters will know what to suggest.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Two families traveling with kids ages 10 and 13. Looking for beachfront but also nice swimming pool and access to exercise facility (if possible)...don't want the "ultimate" party atmosphere as it'll be a bit much.

Have rooms held at Clearwater Beach Hotel and Quality Hotel On The Beach - both are in Clearwater.

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:21 AM

I have a 14-year-old and even now I take him to either SP or Treasure Island rather than Clearwater. There's more for kids and families at those two beaches. Clearwater is better for college kids in my opinion. It is a mob scene of drinkers (which is what I want to keep my 14-year-old away from).

The Tradewinds is very nice -- it's a big resort so if that's what you want then that's the place for you. But if you can't afford it and want a place with exercise facilities, look into the Alden, which is also a resort. I have a friend who loves it and stays there often with her very active boys. If you want a place that's smaller, cheaper, but very nice, try the Bonaire (I can't find a web site for them but you could call and they can send you a brochure). They have a pool, tiki bar, and clean beachy apartments with kitchens (effs. 1-beds and 2-beds). All these places are close to each other, and also close to a lot of shopping.

Treasure Island is also great for kids but not as upscale as St. Pete Beach. Some of the nicer places are the Bilmar, the Thunderbird, and the Ramada Inn. If you're on a budget, try the Trails End.

Good luck.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:22 AM

IMO I'd to the Sirata in St Pete Beach. It's more laid back. The beach is wider, and you'll have more space. When I've been to Clearwater, it just seemed more wall to wall hotels. St Pete has plenty to do without having to be sooo tourist oriented. Again, this is MHO.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:48 AM

A friend just told me that she was unhappy at the Ramada in TI. So perhaps you should nix it.
Old Feb 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM
OliveOyl

I'd steer clear of the Quality Hotel simply because of its location--on a cut between CWB and Sand Key. I wouldn't swim right there and if the tide is changing, it can have a stiff current. Too many other places to chose from, IMHO.

Also, although I've never stayed at Sirata as I live in the area, I sure have read some iffy reviews of it in various locations online. It has now been spun off from the Tradewinds trio (Grand, Sandpiper and Sirata), which might bode well for it, but only time will tell. The new ownership group may put more money into it...hopefully so, as all reviews I've read indicate that it is in need of renovations. It also means however, (or it should mean) that you will no longer have use of the others' facilities. At any rate, take a look at reviews both in BiddingForTravel and TripAdvisor on the Sirata Beach before making a decision in that direction!

Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:20 AM

Can anyone tell me if CLearwater Beach is less overrun with spring break college kids in April than in March? I had figured that since by April all of the colleges have had their breaks, that there would be more families there.
Old Feb 17th, 2004, 11:49 AM

Kathyk,
The spring break season typically begins middle of Feb. and ends when Easter week ends, this year that will be on April 18th. Beginning that week you won't find many college kids if any at all. I live on Clearwater Beach and cannot wait for April 18th when it's all over!