Can not decide- trip to SF/Northern CA or Paris/France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband has decided that we are going on a two week vacation for our tenth anniversary.

We have never been to California or Europe before and live on the East Coast so both trips would be similar flights. Cost is not as much an object because of the special event. We both have a passport but never have used it before.

So if you were in my situation, would you rather go to San Francisco (with a week tour of Yosemite and Lake Tahoe) or Paris and then a week touring France by rental car?

Help, we can not decide! Looking for advice from real travelers!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:33 AM

Paris!

But it doesn't matter what I'd want.

If you truly want to do both, then you won't regret your decision, whichever way you go. And there are always future trips where you can do the other.

But if either of them is something you're considering because you feel like you're "supposed" to want to go there, or because others have said it'd be nice, then maybe they're not the best choices.

Now, for us to be able to help you more, some questions:

* What time of year will you be traveling?
* Where else have you traveled that you've enjoyed?
* What do you most want to get from this trip?
* Will it be just the two of you traveling, or are you traveling with family or friends?

My advice - go with your heart.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

HMMMMM......
Since I live in NorCal I would say
PARIS !
Yet, if I lived in Paris, would I say
NorCal ?
I'm with jlm on this-follow
your heart.
R5
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:55 AM
JJ5

I've been to both several times. If it were I, it would be SF/Nor.Cal. But what do you as a couple like to do? Are you big city lovers? Do you like nature/natural beauty over say man's art etc. Two good choices, so you can't lose.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

What time of year?
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Leaving in May. Were interested in both cultural historic and scenic attractions.

Thanks!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:31 PM

watoga wrote: "if you were in my situation, would you rather go to San Francisco (with a week tour of Yosemite and Lake Tahoe) or Paris and then a week touring France by rental car"

For us the choice would be so easy!
We were in Paris in September '04 and fell in love with it, so we're going back May 18. San Francisco is one of the best cities in the USA to visit, we have been there but we don't have plans to go back anytime soon! it was just a
good place to visit and we had fun.
Paris was like being in a movie or a dream, something I can't explain? If you go to France you'll understand why so many people who has been there always want to go back.

Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM

Here's a thought - Go to the library and get books on both places. Guidebooks are fun, but see if you can find picture books, like coffee table books or similar.

Spend some random time just flipping through them for a week or so. See if it pushes you in one direction or the other.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:42 PM

My vote is for Paris for an anniversary trip, I've been there several times and think it is the most romantic city in the world! It's absolutely breathtaking in the spring and the cuisine is incredible, nothing like we have here. I also found the people very nice and helpful contrary to the popular myth of the french being snobby. Hand down, no doubt in my mind, choose Paris
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:40 PM

Please don't take this the wrong way but given any opportunity to learn about new customs, language, food, history, etc. I would always take a foreign place over an US city. I honestly can't even imagine having this 'decision' to make, it's a no brainer to me.

Have fun whatever you do and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM

My delightful inlaws have travelled for many years, but age is catching up with them and, unfortunately, the trips are coming to an end. Their philosophy for years has always been to do the harder trips first. Climb stairs/mountains, hike through forests/jungles/cities, snorkle, etc, while you are able. This might also apply to touring foreign countries and getting your own rental car. It sounds about the same for both places, but tis not. Go with the harder trip and make some memories in Paris!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:55 PM

Paris. Both are great cities and would be great vacations, but Paris is the type of place you go on a 10th anniversary vacation, and San Francisco isn't as grand a vacation (although certainly a wonderful place and an excellent vacation).

Think of it this way: You tell your co-worker that you're about to celebrate your 10th anniversary. Co-worker says "Are you going anywhere special?" If you say Paris, co-worker says Wow! (because it's got that cache). If you say San Francisco, co-worker says Oh, that's nice (because as nice as it is, it's still in the US).

Either way, it should be wonderful. Congrats.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:04 PM
SAB

Paris and touring France and I live in SF. If it were a choice between SF and any other US city that would be different. Even though I love my home city and Northern California and the central coast have some of the most beautiful scenery in the world, I would pick Paris because, well, it's Paris.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:16 PM

Living close to SF I too would pick Paris. Absolutely!

And I agree with Babs in-laws. Do Europe (or what ever other countries appeal to you) first. Then do the traveling in the US when going oversees seems like too much of a workout.

And Happy Anniversary!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:35 PM

PARIS PARIS PARIS!!!
Ok, there's my vote. Husband and I just got back from a week there. It would have been wonderful to have an additional week to wander the countryside and see some of the landscape we saw depicted in the paintings in the Louvre and Orsay. May will be beautiful!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 02:41 PM

Dear watoga,

Since this is an anniversary, I'd vote for Paris.

There is no other city which reinforces the whole concept of being in love as well as the City of Light.

It would be a good idea to brush up on your French, however basic, just so you can manuever more easily.

If I was going tomorrow with a paramour (sigh!) I'd spend an evening at home first looking at some paintings in an art book so we could both anticipate seeing them for real at the d'Orsay or the Louvre.

I'd go to San Francisco on your next trip, garner some special memories here, and then celebrate re-visiting them on a repeat visit. Stretch out that romance!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:01 PM

Guess that about sums up the responses! I'm leaving for SF in May but if the Euro was a little kindlier I'd be off to (dare I say...Italy). The best advice is to do the most strenuous, wildest things while you are able. Just in from golf and my knee is killing me. Paris is a city that should be experienced at least once. This will no doubt be an affirmation of love. Congrats.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 04:59 PM
ed

PARIS!!!

We will be going to NorCal (we live in SoCal) in March to celebrate things with our "kids" but we have been to Paris 13 times and are sort of planning on going in the fall.

We will have celebrated our 54th and think that Paris is great place to celebrate it.

After reading the DaVince Code we find that there are places that we have missed. :-B
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:16 PM

Go use your passport!
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 06:04 PM

Another vote for Paris. I live in So. Cal and SF is a great city but I went to Paris for the first time last year. Absolutely fell in love with it and can't wait to go back. Also very romantic for an anniversary. Hope next time I go, it's with a romantic partner---sigh!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -