Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can I lock my checked baggage? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-i-lock-my-checked-baggage-647116/)

SWillams Sep 17th, 2006 11:28 AM

Can I lock my checked baggage?

Recently, I have heard many stories about people having locked suitcases opened by US security. I will be flying on International flights connecting in the US to New Zeland the I intend to fly throught San Francisco or Los Angeles on Air New Zealand and will connect the same day to/from Canada.

My question is... when I check in in Canada for New Zealand can I check in a locked suitcase, same thing for the return from New Zealand to Canada.

Any info regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks

gail Sep 17th, 2006 11:39 AM

There are TSA (Transportation Security or maybe it is Safety Administration) approved locks - which means they have keys to them so it is OK to lock.

If it is not an approved lock, they will cut it off/break it so they can get into luggage. I do not know what they do if the lock is part of the suitcase and they need to inspect - but I don't think it would be pretty.

I have no idea what they do if flight originates in Canada - it would depend on if you are checking luggage all the way thru or reclaiming and rechecking in Canada.

J62 Sep 17th, 2006 11:40 AM

I've had my suitcase opened and inspected by security in several different countries besides US (UK and Germany to be specific). In both cases a note was left in my suitcase to that effect.

I think it is safe to assume that both CA or NZ security have reserved the right to open any suitcase they want.

If they want to open it up they will, locked or not.

matnikstym Sep 17th, 2006 02:07 PM

the tsa locks can be opened by U.S. airport security and some other countries also have keys, but if New Zealand doesn't, they may cut them off if they choose...Air New Zealand is a great airline, good food, free wine/drinks, inseat movies, foot rests!

cabovacation Sep 17th, 2006 02:10 PM

I have locks hacked open twice, so I do recommend that you use the TSA locks. Of course the reason we lock is to prevent theft....and who are the theives? Exactly! It's crazy.

sylvia3 Sep 17th, 2006 02:53 PM

I've had them broken open twice. Now I have given up, and just use twist ties. Guess what's never been untwisted?!

cabovacation Sep 17th, 2006 06:36 PM

Same here, Sylvia. Never had a twisty removed or changed in any way. Go figure.

cabovacation Sep 17th, 2006 06:37 PM

oh, if only i would check my own spelling....

suze Sep 17th, 2006 07:11 PM

i believe the days of locked suitcases are a thing of the past. i simply use kitchen twist-ties now to keep the zippers from opening by accident.

J_Correa Sep 18th, 2006 09:47 AM

Locking a suitcase just provides a false sense of security - just about anyone can open suitcase locks in a matter of seconds, or just cut them off. The locks aren't exactly sturdy. Locked or unlocked, people can get in if they want.