Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can I handle the Bethesda, Maryland for 4 years? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-i-handle-the-bethesda-maryland-for-4-years-222212/)

cl9 May 18th, 2002 04:01 PM

Can I handle the Bethesda, Maryland for 4 years?

<BR>My husband is considering doing a Post-doc (post doctorial research project) at the National Insitute of Health in Bethesda Maryland. The thought of living in the belt-way freaks me out a little. I'm from Kansas, I live in Ames, Iowa now. I've lived in rural small-medium size towns my whole life. I'm definately a country girl. I do like cities, but I'm not sure I would want to live in one. And the thought of living in the suburbs is even worse. My husband is from the suburbs of Kansas City and even that drives me nuts.<BR>So what's it like there?<BR>This is a long way off still, and we would definately visit before we moved but I just thought I'd ask the well traveled Fodor's folks what they thought.<BR>thanks

Aunt Jennie May 18th, 2002 04:17 PM

Time for you to try living in different places! I grew up living in different parts of the country and different types of communities, from small towns to suburbs (including Silver Spring, another DC suburb) to big cities, and we found people we enjoyed everywhere. In fact, we especially liked living in the DC area. There are so many bright people there, and the schools are excellent. It's an exciting place to live. <BR><BR>It would be hard to give up a chance for a post doc at NIH. You gotta look at the big picture. You've also got to look at practical things like housing costs and commutes. These are real issues. Don't worry about suburb vs small town vs city. That works itself out just fine.

TryThis May 18th, 2002 05:20 PM

cl9 - <BR><BR>It might help other people advise you if you tell us what you do for a living, what your interest are etc.

Nikki May 18th, 2002 06:16 PM

You come and give it a try - a post-doc at NIH is great and shouldn't be passed up. I came to this DC area a long time ago and thought I was frightened of it. Well it continues to astound me with some of the friendliest people you'll ever find. Why - because most everyone here is from elsewhere and they're all looking for friendly faces too. You can have something to do every day for the next ten years. Your kids (if any) can sit in on Congress and watch the workings of the country. If you don't try something new - you're the loser cause life is one big gamble.

JTP May 19th, 2002 11:04 AM

c19 - you'll do fine! I moved to DC from Central NY - a small town with lots of neighborly respect - what I found was an interesting sort of city - neighbors not so anxious to get to know each other but not in a mean way - in a sort of respectful way - I later learned this was a self protection as most people stay 4-6 years and then move elsewhere (I did the same) -- Bethesda is a beautiful area outside of DC - you'll be close enough to experience a veriet of foods and people - in a comfort zone that is respectful -- you'll be in a neighborhood where you can set the comfort level - invite neighbors in if you want to get to know them or make the choice to stay to yourself. You are close to TAkoma Park - a more progressive (politically) town then Bethesda, there is a coop if if want to commit to knowing folks, that is a nice way of introducing yourself to new people - certainly though a house of faith - there is even a Quaker Meeting House near you - certainly there enough volunteer programs, always a great way to meet folks and get that friendlyness you might miss and make oyu feel less freaked out - let us know how you do!

Judy May 19th, 2002 12:08 PM

We also lived in Bethesda many years ago due to an NIH relocation, and absolutely loved it. Of course, we were not coming from a small town, so I cannot speak to that. However, you should be aware that in addition to some culture shock (yes, it is very congested) your biggest problem may be sticker shock. Unless you're willing to commute a long distance, you're liable to find housing costs to be significantly higher than Iowa and Kansas.

Dick May 20th, 2002 08:18 AM

I've been to Ames, Iowa and it is not that small. Iowa State University, makes a big difference. <BR><BR>I think your adjustment may be more small midwestern town to faster pace East Coast.<BR><BR>With a positive attitude, you should be fine. There is so much going on in the Washington area that you will be able to see an do things that you never could in Iowa. Kind of like people taking short term overseas assingments.<BR><BR>Join groups ( religious, social, political, school) to meet people.<BR><BR>This is too good an opportunity to pass up. Make it work