Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can I fly from NYC to California with an expired Green Card? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-i-fly-from-nyc-to-california-with-an-expired-green-card-970482/)

Mindy_C Mar 14th, 2013 01:27 PM

Can I fly from NYC to California with an expired Green Card?

I recently was granted an acceptance for a Green Card renewal. This was three months ago and I still haven't received the physical Green Card in the mail. I only have bank cards and such, without photos, as ID.

I don't know what to do. My flight is in two weeks. Can I even go without a passport, Green Card or anything? Can they look up my immigration status?

MmePerdu Mar 14th, 2013 01:39 PM

I'd say use just your passport. If you must show your green card do you have a letter of renewal? Bring it. But just your passport should be enough.

Immigration can look up your status but you won't go through Immigration.

I didn't know green cards needed to be renewed.

PaulRabe Mar 14th, 2013 01:41 PM

> Can I even go without a passport, Green Card or anything?

Basically, no.
You MUST have photo identification approved by the TSA in order to get onto the plane -- no exceptions.
With two weeks to go, I'd contact your airline and explain the situation. If you're lucky, they'll allow you to re-schedule your flight. But there's NO WAY you'll be able to get on the plane without a valid photo ID.

I'm also a little confused -- Green Cards are issued by the U.S. INS, to show that you are legally allowed to remain in the U.S.A. Your passport is issued by your native country, and show that you are a citizen of that country. Do you have your passport? If not, how did you arrive here and how did you get a green card renewal?

MmePerdu Mar 14th, 2013 01:41 PM

Most people use just a driver's license. If you have one use it.

mlgb Mar 14th, 2013 01:50 PM

You need a photo ID.

Sounds like someone with illegal immigration status and no passport or Driver's License?

nytraveler Mar 14th, 2013 02:33 PM

You need an official picture ID. If you cannot use your passport (expired or wahtever) you need to use your driver's license or equivalent. Each state's motor vehicle department issues picture IDs that are not licenses but can be used for travel.

You can take a day and go to the nearest office and get one on the spot. Just make sure you look at the DMV website to see what proof you will need you are you.

Andno - if they have a Green Card they are a legal resident and should be able to get a non-driver's picture ID.

sunbum1944 Mar 14th, 2013 02:43 PM

I second the suggestion to get a non-drivers picture ID if you don't have a drivers license or your passport.

Green cards do need to be renewed. Did not used to be but now require renewal every ten years I believe at the cost of close to $400 last time I did it- probably more now.

nyer Mar 14th, 2013 05:28 PM

The TSA and the individual airlines have ID requirements. They can be waived for situations like a stolen ID right before a trip etc but then the passenger is subject to a lot of extra scrutiny. Allowing you through security and on the planes is at their discretion, And then you'd face the same thing on the way back.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/acceptable-ids

If you have any of the other IDs listed as acceptable you're fine (though I would suggest carrying anything that verifies that your renewal was approved even if it hasn't arrived yet)

If you don't, you're taking a chance that you might not get on the plane (rejected outright, or miss it because of the extra time for security checking) and that you also may having trouble going back.

Looking up your imigration status is irrelevant. With a green card your status is legal, but no one is going to just look you up and let you on a plane, and the airlines don't have that information anyway. They need to know who you are, with photo ID, not just that you're here legally

nyer Mar 14th, 2013 05:34 PM

And you're probably not going to be able to get a non-drivers ID in most states without similar kinds of ID,. NYS has a points system so that even a valid US passport is not enough to get a non-driver ID, you need other IDs that verify the information

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/forms/id44.pdf

Rastaguytoday Mar 14th, 2013 08:24 PM

Watch out for the California Border Patrol!

They are constantly looking for people who don't know their left from their right.

California is known to be the most restrictive state about illegal aliens in the country.

If you believe this, I have a golden gate bridge to sell you. I'll accept foreign currency. Coins are also accepted.

sunbum1944 Mar 14th, 2013 09:19 PM

I do think that if you have your expired green card and the paper work to show you have applied for a new one you will be OK- but I would check with airlines

janisj Mar 14th, 2013 10:52 PM

>><i>I only have bank cards and such, without photos, as ID.</i><<

If you don't have a photo ID you are likely out of luck.