Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can Anyone tell me which Ski ResortI can expect snow at for Thanksgiving?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:09 PM
Rebecca

Can Anyone tell me which Ski ResortI can expect snow at for Thanksgiving? I was hoping Vail would work but if you know others let me know.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 06:10 PM
Rebecca

Location not a problem I will fly anywhere in the U.S. or Canada.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 08:42 PM
john

Vail probably won't have that much snow around Thanksgiving, mostly manmade and only a few runs open. You may want to check out Steamboat Springs, Co. Every bit as nice but farther north.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Sue

John, have you ever been to Winter Park to ski? Can you (or anyone) give me an opinion of it? Thanks!

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Rebecca

up... thanks John now I am in a panic but better to find out now than later. Do you think I should head to Canada. I need a fare bit of green slopes. If you can recommend any to me I would appreciate.

Thanks,

Rebecca

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:08 AM
tahoe_sam

Thanksgiving openings are iffy for any U.S. resort, and the coverage is generally thin. You should opt for a place that has remarkable snowmaking capacity to be safe. Good luck.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:22 AM
Vicky

Northern Vermont (Smugglers Notch/Jay Peak) usually OK, possibly Stowe. Also, some northern Maine spots.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:58 AM
xxx

I went on a ClubMed ski vacation in Switzerland a few years ago for Thanksgiving. We had a blast! Plenty of snow and cheap winter airfares to Europe. Just a thought, since you might have difficulty finding real snow that early in the US.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 11:32 AM
colin

"A" Basin Colorado had thanksgiving skiing last year and GENERALLY has the earliest snow anywhere I know of.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:24 PM
john

A basin would make a good choice, usually the last area to close for the year, usually memorial day. Only problem is no real facilities there. You would have to stay in Dillon or Frisco and drive there. Winter Park, is a locals favorite. Closer to Denver than the other resorts. Mary Jane and Berthoud Pass also fall into this category as locals favorite but snow at that time will be iffy. You may want to look into the ski resorts around Montreal Canada. With the favorable exchange rate and proximity to a major airport would be a good choice.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:40 PM
gypsygirl

Rebecca....my crystal ball must be malfunctioning. (shaking it) Nope..sorry no weather predictions for snow months in advance!