Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone tell me about the Burning Man festival? This year it's in Nevada - I checked out the web but am still confused...

Search

Can anyone tell me about the Burning Man festival? This year it's in Nevada - I checked out the web but am still confused...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 10:56 AM
Romper

What is it really? More of a hippy-type thing? A co-worker of mine went for the week and I was just curious.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 11:12 AM
J T Kirk

Isn't it ALWAYS in Nevada?
I've always gotten the impression it's more of an older-hippy kind of thing. Think of the Grateful Dead in the desert.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:13 PM
dan woodlief

I saw a program on the travel channel about it a year or so ago. Looked like a pretty wild time. Lots of people dressing up, banging on things, and floats (I believe). Fairly surreal. I recall seeing lots of people in the 20ish age group so not really "older."

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:28 PM
J T Kirk

That's what I meant - YOUNGER older hippy types.
Some people are nude. Drugs. They burn a big statute at the end. They're in the desert. Seems . . . odd.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Suzie

They burn a statute? God I'm laughing so hard. I know you meant statue but that extra t really changes things. Thanks for the wake up laugh!!!
For more bizarre info check out the website www.burningman.com.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 12:35 PM
J T Kirk

And it's a young statute, too!!!! And it's in the desert. (Have I said that?)

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Dr. S

When interrogating your co-worker upon return, make sure you ask them (for your safety) if they have come down from the Special K, X and liquid. Baking in the sun for a week with thousands of strangers will cause even the most straight-laced to partake in multiple psychoactive substances.

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 04:00 PM
hamlet

What I understand from what someone who has gone has told me is that participants gather in the desert to form their own society of sorts for the week. They are people of all ages and walks of life. They go into the desert and build their own shelters and bring water etc. I think there might be a power generator provided or something like that. Basically people can do whatever they want as long as the follow the rave PLUR rule of peace, love, unity, respect. There is lots of art, music and creating of all kinds (including procreating). Many things work on a barter system for water, food, etc. etc. While this is all happening a statue is built throughout the week and then burned. When it's all over, everyone is supposed to take out whatever they brought it and the desert should look like they had never been there. I guess if anyone really wants to see and know, you've just gotta go!

Old Aug 27th, 2001, 06:47 PM
oldHippie

It used to be fun. Now it's full of Bill Clinton, Al Gore and Newt Gingrich
"I used to be young and hip-I'm still young and hip" types trying to hit on young women.

It's what happens when it goes mainstream and even the AAA magazine writes about it.

Say hello to Gary Condit for me if you go.

Old Aug 28th, 2001, 05:42 PM
Romper

Thanks for your responses. I guess your view on it is the same as mine. I'm just trying to figure it out... you pay $200 admission to bring your own water/shelter, etc. in the heat of the day and the chill of the night, belong to a "society" for a week? Seems so odd. I guess I was somewhat correct on the hippy thing as nudes/drugs were mentioned. I still don't understand the PURPOSE but I guess that's the point!

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Burner

http://www.burningman.com

http://bbs.burningman.com

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 09:12 AM
Thyra

It's in the Black Rock desert in Nevada, day temperatures are around 104F this year. Over 10,000 people go. They have no money but lots of controlled substances. It's for people of all ages from 20 something ravers, to old hippies to lawyers, bankers, school teachers etc. Basically anyone who wants to cut loose for one week of their lives. It's more of an arts festival then anything else, most of the camps do something artistic, giant sculptures.. massage schools.. meditation tents... and some really x-rated theme camps. There are lots of concerts and socializing, free expression and the like. Some people just live for it (like my co-worker)> I do know that there is a group of environmentalists who oversee that no trash is left in the desert, they have permits and emergency personel on hand fire department paramedics etc. Frankly it sounds really hot and dirty to me, but for some people trapped in a steril corporate world it provides a welcome chance to let their "freak flags fly".