Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone suggest hotels near or in Volcano National Park?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 05:49 AM
Carmen

Not sure I can find anything at this late date. I want to go over in mid August but only for a couple of nights. Would love airconditioning if possible.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 11:37 AM
Carmen

anybody so far my only alternative is the Volcano House in a non-crater view room, 1 king for 3 people.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:17 PM
Burta

Take a look at this website: www.kilauealodge.com

There is a thread titled "Big Island Question" where this is being discussed.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:48 PM
Carmen

they don't have availability on my dates but thanks

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:54 PM
Susan

I haven't stayed there in a couple of years but i really liked Kilauea Lodge in the very samll village of Volcano. It has alovely restaurnat also.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Carmen

Susan how long of a drive is the lodge to the volcano house. Trying to find the relative distance between the volcano flow. I know the distance between the Lodge and the flow but want the (TIME)distance between Volcano House and flow. They are not picking up on the phone for some reason.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:15 PM
kam

Don't think you'll need a/c at Volcano House. It's always been pleasant to chilly when we've been there. Personally, I like the idea of staying near Kona and going on a helicopter tour of the volcano.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:17 PM
Carmen

cam can you do those at night?

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:18 PM
ccc

Kam I mean

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:34 PM
kam

Carmen, I truthfully don't know if the helicopters go at night. We did it during the day. Our thoughts were that it would take too much time to drive from the Mauna Kea over to the volcano. But we have also driven it---once around by Hilo and once over the middle of the island. They are both tiring drives. Depending on what's going on at the time, the helicopter might be the only way to get a good look at the craters. I think I read they have an eruption going on now. There must be a website about the helicopter tours. They are expensive but to drive and stay at Volcano House will take so much time out of your vacation that you might find it worth it. Good luck.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:32 PM
Tracie

These aren't hotels - and I can't guarantee air conditioning, but here are some places that were recommended to me:
www.halesweethale.com
www.volcanoteapot.com
www.volcanoplaces.com
www.volcanocottages.com
www.volcano-hawaii.com
www.carsonscottage.com
www.haleohia.com
www.volcanoinn.com
www.volcanovillage.net

Good luck with your search!

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Carmen

Kam there are three of us so I am not sure that the helicopter tour is in our budget but thanks. We will only be on the island for 2 days and then return to Kauai. Just afraid we won't make it back so I want to see volcano.

Thanks Tracie have you had any experience?... or can suggest a good price breaker option that would be great. We are paying $181 at the Volcano House and I have seen the property kind of run down but we do have a crater view. Just don't know if that will matter with a one night stay.

I know I am being silly here just want to get the best hotel/B&B for the best money. Thanks everyone your comments really are helpful.

Old Jul 25th, 2002, 07:37 PM
Tracie

Hi Carmen:
The last time we were in Volcano we stayed at the Kileaua Lodge (which I highly recommend). This time I booked a house through Halesweethale.com ($105 a night and sleeps 6 I believe) (I like the fact that it has a washer/dryer - thats a big deal when you're taking a 5 year old). If you check out the websites, you can see the various places - however most places charge extra if you only stay 1 night.

If you want to see the lava flow at the Chain of Craters road, its still a long drive from the park - about an hour I think.

We did take a helicopter ride last time from Hilo. It was raining in Hilo and a lot of the sights were clouded up. It was a lot more spectacular to be by the beach and watch the lava flow into the ocean at night. I understand that the lava has only recently been flowing back into the ocean.

If you're only staying 1 night - stay where you are. If you wish to stay 2 or more nights, check out some of the other places to stay.

Have fun whatever you do!