Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can anyone suggest a QUAINT place for a quick getaway? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-anyone-suggest-a-quaint-place-for-a-quick-getaway-240221/)

Courtney Jul 16th, 2002 02:25 PM

Can anyone suggest a QUAINT place for a quick getaway?

We are looking for a place to get away for a few days (without our children!). We would like to go somewhere kind of quaint. Proximity to oceans, lakes, boats is a plus. We're not too restricted by price, but only by time. We have four days/3 nights in mid September, so we're probably confined to North America. We live in the midwest. Any suggestions you have are welcomed. Thanks in advance!<BR>Courtney

kelly Jul 16th, 2002 02:28 PM

Cape May, New Jersey

pat Jul 16th, 2002 02:53 PM

Lake Tahoe. The weather will be perfect, and the crowds will be gone! It`s a gorgeous area!

George Jul 16th, 2002 03:01 PM

A couple of years ago, my wife and I stayed at the Two Harbors Lighthouse B&B, in MN, on the Superior north shore about 40 miles N of Duluth. Absolutely delightful. I believe it's lighthousebb.org . <BR><BR>Our son was living in Stillwater MN at the time, and that, too, is worth a stop. Check out Marine on St Croix if you get to this area. The grocery store there is said to be the original inspiration for "Ralph's Pretty Good Grocery" of Lake Woebegone fame. Nice bar in twon, as well.<BR><BR>Both the lighthouse and Stillwater, I believe, would fit your desires.

kam Jul 16th, 2002 03:04 PM

Here in CA: Cambria, Carmel, Pacific Grove. Fly into San Jose to get a jump start on the drive.

xx Jul 16th, 2002 03:08 PM

Rockport, MA. 45ish minutes north of Boston.<BR>http://www.rockportusa.com/

Polly Jul 16th, 2002 03:30 PM

Another vote for Cape May, NJ

topper Jul 16th, 2002 05:03 PM

TTT

dont Jul 16th, 2002 05:14 PM

Oh my god! I can't believe anyone, yet alone 2 people, would recommend Cape May! What a dump. There is maybe one street that's vaguely charming, surrounded by very little natural beauty and outside of a contrived 1 mile radius, architecture of very little character.<BR><BR>I went on the recommendation of several people and couldn't believe I wasted 4 hours driving time to get to such a crummy destination.<BR><BR>Here are a few far more quaint locales. Charleston SC, Bristol and Narragansett Rhode Island, Saratoga, NY, Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Woodstock Vermont, Niagara village (NOT to be condused with Niagara Falls) Gasparilla Island in Florida, Wine Country has many quaint towns. <BR><BR>Please, pleas don't waste your time in Cape May NJ. It may be the best New Jersey has to offer (and I even doubt that), but that's not saying much!

Lawrence Jul 16th, 2002 05:23 PM

If you live near a larger airport, it saves a lot of time to get a nonstop flight to a destination. Given that, it depends on the airlines/schedules serving your airport. Personally, from the Midwest, I would shoot for something into Albany, Hartford, Portland, Providence, Burlington or Boston. Each of those locations has what you are looking for within driving distance (or would be fine on their own for a few days). Mid September would be a good time too (after the summer rush, before the foliage crush -- probably cheaper).

Steve Jul 16th, 2002 07:19 PM

In California - Cambia on the Central Coast, or Mendocino in northern Cal. For Cambria, fly into Sna Jose and go south. Mendocino probably Oakland or SFO.

La Jul 17th, 2002 06:23 AM

I agree with upper Minnesota. Late Sept. is great up there. Gooseberry Falls is just by Duluth. Great place to relax and enjoy the crisp, warm air of fall. We consistently send our parents to Two Harbors for their anniversary, which is in early Sept. There are also tons of great hotels for good prices in the area, if you don't like B&B's. Just remember, get into the outdoors, don't stay in Duluth the whole trip. It's a one day town.

linda Jul 17th, 2002 07:22 AM

would not recommend wine country, as it is busy in Sept. However, beach areas in East will be deserted. Charleston, Duck, Cumberland Island, Amelia Island, Finger lakes in NY very nice....Geneva on the lake, etc.

Courtney Jul 17th, 2002 07:36 AM

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. Cape May is out because I will be there visiting family this month. I had considered Tahoe, but I didn't know what the area was like. You also came up with alot of suggestions I hadn't considered. Thanks, now I have ALOT of research to do. By the way, I probably won't be making my decision for awhile, so any other suggestions are welcome! THANKS!<BR>Courtney

tom Jul 17th, 2002 07:46 AM

Consider a direct flight to South Florida.

njisgreat Jul 17th, 2002 08:17 AM

This is to Don't: I've never in my life heard anyone criticize Cape May. However your ignorance shows with your comment about it being "the best that jersey has to offer". I'm betting NJ has more beautiful places than wherever you're from - but you're in that sad percentage that think NJ is some barren wasteland.<BR><BR>Do us all a favor and enlighten yourself.

John Jul 17th, 2002 09:08 AM

One person's quaint is another person's kitsch, of course. But a couple of thoughts:<BR><BR>Langley on Whidbey Island in Puget Sound (1 hr. from Seattle.) Start at http://www.whidbey.net/visitor/visitors.html<BR><BR>Whistler/Blackcombe, around 2 hours north of Vancouver BC. Many luxurious accommodations, quite affordable in the summer/fall (not so cheap during skiing season) and the drive from Van. up the "Sea to Sky Highway" is just about as beautiful as it gets on this continent IMO. http://www.tourismwhistler.com/<BR><BR>Closer to home (slightly) is Quebec City - http://www.quebecregion.com Not on the ocean but the river is pretty wide.

Stephanie P. Jul 17th, 2002 09:20 AM

I'd opt for a destination close to an airport. My suggestion to you would be Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, FL. It's 5 miles north of Ft. Lauderdale. All motels have to be 3 stories or lower and if you stay on El Mar Drive (I stay at the Coral Key Inn) you will be right on the ocean. LBTS is a peninsula just off Ft. Lauderdale. I would suggest you rent a car if you want to venture off to other towns. Love this place, such a nice walking town on the ocean.

dont Jul 17th, 2002 09:20 AM

NJisgreat, Ha,ha,ha,ha ha.. I'm dying here! You've never heard anyone criticize Cape May? Well I guess compared to Atlantic City or Wildwood it's an improvement. The other 2 couples we went with thought the same thing - Peaople actually think this place is nice?????<BR><BR>It's not truly heinous, but it's certainly not worth a drive from anywhere. I live in Connecticut in a town that is far more beautiful than Cape May New Jersey. Maybe that's why I was so disappointed.<BR><BR>By the way, what exit do you live off of ?- Gee, I can't imagine why NJ is the butt of soooo many jokes if it's such a beautiful state. Whatever is wrong with all those people who make fun of it? I quess they just have a distorted perception. That must be it.<BR><BR>That reminds of something I saw in college. I was in the restroom and on the wall of the stall someone stuck a booger. It was kind of in the shape of NJ. Someone had circled it in pen with an arrow pointing to it and wrote "New Jersey". Still makes me laugh to this day.<BR><BR>Look, If Courtney ever makes it to Cape May, I'm sure she'll thank me for warning her not to waste her time and money.

seamus Jul 17th, 2002 09:26 AM

Eastern coast of Maryland is nice. Fly to BWI.