Can anyone suggest a book or 2?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:02 AM
Jane

Can anyone suggest a book or 2?

I love to read about a place before I go there. Usually my trips are to Europe and it seems to be a lot easier to find fiction that takes place there. I am not looking for a guide book or non-fiction. I am going to Wyoming, South Dakota, Utah and Colorado. Of course we will be seeing all the National Parks. Does anyone know of any good books that take place here. I would love to get a feel for it before we go.
Thank you!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:37 AM
Arabella

Have you read "Lonesome Dove" by McMurtry? It's a wonderful, wonderful book and some of the action takes place in the areas you plan to visit.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:37 AM
Liam

This might not be what you are looking for, but ...

The one book I LOVED which was set in the west was "Lonesome Dove" by Larry McMurtry. The story starts in Texas and tells the tale of a cattle drive from southern Texas north to Montana. The characters pass through the territory you are visiting and McMurtry's style of writing made the landscape come out of the pages for me. Contrary to what you think, it is not a "boy" book (there are some very strong female characters as well). It definitely made me want to see that part of the country. I envy you.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:38 AM
Liam

wow-Arabella and I were on the same wavelength - same exact time of posting, too!!!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:39 AM
lisa

A great novel set in a small town in Colorado is "Plainsong" by Kent Haruf.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 09:43 AM
Arabella

Liam,

Were we separated at birth?!?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:23 AM
jane

I have not read Lonesome Dove but my husband has and he raves about it. I guess I will pick it up for this trip. Any other ideas?

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:24 AM
gail

I enjoy a kind of silly series of murder mysteries set in Colorado. the author is Diane Mott-Davidson. My favorite is Death by Chocolate. They revolve around a local caterer who is married to a police investigator. The recipes in this book are great. My family loves it (I think!) when I am reading them! It means lots of goodies!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 10:59 AM
Arabella

Jane,

Give "Lonesome Dove" a chance. You'll read the first couple pages and think, "This is such a guy book," but it isn't. I'm a very feminine woman and I loved the book. I was actually sad to finish it -- I missed the characters!

It will be fun, too, to discuss the book with your husband since he's already read it.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:19 AM
A.M.

May I suggest "Dancing at the Rascal Fair" a wonderful book set in Montana during its early settler days.
A.M.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 11:59 AM
Lexma90

Dancing at the Rascal Fair, for sure.

"The Diary of Mattie Spenser," by Sandra Dallas. A bit sensational, but pretty good.

Lots of books by Willa Cather; "My Antonia" comes to mind.

There is a novel about a woman who was one of the first people to explore the Yellowstone area (I'm pretty sure she's an imaginery person, but it's based in fact); it's very interesting, but I've forgotten the name. I think it's for young adults, but I still liked it a lot. Very good descriptions of place you will visit if you go to Yellowstone. Try doing a subject search at Amazon.com; that's where I located & bought the book.

If you decide to pick up some non-fiction, "Leaning into the Wind" is a collection of writings by women pioneers (or more correctly, the women who followed/were forced to follow their pioneer husbands). I can give you lots of other nonfiction - I think I've bought every western book (I live in Colorado) about women pioneers, settlers, miners, etc.

Have a good time!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:22 PM
Liam

Arabella - I believe "Streets of Laredo" is the Lonesome Dove sequel. I never got around to reading it, but it is on my list.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:24 PM
Liam

Jane: you also might try to find a fictional account of Lewis & Clarke's exploration of that area. I seem to recall that there were a flood of L&C books a few years ago, although I cannot name any by title.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:41 PM
Great Idea!

This is a great thread! Anybody have any suggestions for literature that takes place in Oregon? I will be traveling there in October and my wife and I are looking for something we can take turns reading each other on the drive.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 12:50 PM
Jane

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I will hit the bookstore after work although I think I still have my husband's copy of Lonesome Dove at home. I love the suggestions. We have a while before we travel and I read a lot so if there are any other ideas...

And to "Great Idea" - Try Wild Life by Molly Gloss. Very interesting book! Takes place outside of Astoria, OR (I believe) and is written from the perspective of a women raising her sons and writing during the pioneer period. Kind of hard to explain, but excellent read!

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 01:11 PM
Arabella

Along with the Lewis and Clark idea, you might want to pick up "Sacajawea," (I'm sure that's misspelled) the story of the Native American woman who actually led the men on the expedition. What she endured on that trek is amazing. Have a great trip!

Yes, Brother Liam, I did read "Streets of Laredo" and didn't care for it as well. It was a bit grim and ghastly for my taste.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 02:46 PM
topper

To the top

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 04:43 PM
Toni

Plainsong was one of the best books I've ever read...Haruff's other two are "The Tie that Binds" and "Where you once belonged" and they are equally good. I recommend them to everyone!
I also loved Dancing at the Rascal Fair, Bucking the Sun, Ride with me Me, Mariah Montana, and the rest of Doig's books but they take place in Montana...

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 05:08 PM
Pat

Centennial by James Michner is a fantastic book about Colorado.

Old Aug 21st, 2001, 06:20 PM
liz

One of the best things to read before going to Wyoming is "Solace of Open Spaces" by Gretchen Erhlich (?)- easy to read and one contemporary woman's story of falling in love with Wyoming in an unexpected way when she was sent there on assignment. Also, recommended is "Downriver, A yellowstone Journey" by Dean Krakel about the headwaters and the course of the Yellowstone River. "Playing God in Yellowstone" by Alston Chase isn't an easy read but you'll know lots about the park and the history before you go there. And finally, John McPhee's "Rising from the Plains" a terrific guide to the plains and geology of Wyoming featuring the riches of David Love the native-born geologist and historian. David Love was one of the featured experts in Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan' PBS documentary film on Lewis and Clark. That's another great resource, by the way. The video is available on videotape

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -