Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Can anyone recommend Oakwook Corporate Housing in Irvine, CA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/can-anyone-recommend-oakwook-corporate-housing-in-irvine-ca-227027/)

Hiba Jun 1st, 2002 04:21 AM

Can anyone recommend Oakwook Corporate Housing in Irvine, CA?

I'd appreciate any recommendations for a one month stay in the Irvine area in August. I'll be there with my husband and two kids, and I figure staying in a rented flat would save me some money. Thanks!

xxx Jun 1st, 2002 07:43 AM

It will be in a business district which will virtually shut down at night and on the weekends. <BR><BR>What's your reasoning for choosing Irvine? Maybe there's a better location to suit your needs if we knew what you require.

Dayle Jun 1st, 2002 08:06 AM

Hi Hiba!<BR><BR>I can't picture where in Irvine these apartments are, but I have an idea. Could you tell me the street address?<BR><BR>Anyway, Irvine has some areas that are more heavily business concentrated than others. Even in the most businessy areas there is plently of residential very nearby.<BR><BR>Those Oakwood apartments come fully furnished of course, and they probably would save you money over a hotel. However, they aren't cheap either!<BR><BR>Have you checked into Marriott Residence Inn, Stay America, Red Roof? There should be some in Irvine too.

Hiba Jun 1st, 2002 10:44 PM

Thanks for the replies. <BR><BR>My parents summer in Newport Beach so we want to be close to them. The only reason I chose Irvine was i figured it would be cheaper to stay there than in Newport Beach. Is that a bad assumption?<BR><BR>The Oakwood property is on Kelvin Avenue.<BR><BR>I am open to more suggestions...

Dayle Jun 2nd, 2002 05:56 AM

Hi again Hiba!<BR><BR>OK, those Oakwood Apts are where I thought. It is the most commercial area of Irvine, but not a bad area at all. A straight shot down MacArthur Blvd. to Newport Beach. Quite close to the river bike trail (on the other side of the Santa ana River bed is UCI), an ice skating rink, and a family entertainment complex that has a bowling alley, mini golf & other amusements.<BR><BR>There are also Oakwood Apts right in Newport Beach. You might want to check those out too.<BR><BR>Have fun!

xxx Jun 2nd, 2002 08:57 AM

The Newport Oakwood units are much better located for you for a vacation spot. Restaurants in the area and much closer to your parents.

xxx Jun 2nd, 2002 09:34 AM

Check out Extended Stay America at www.extstay.com. Compare location, prices, amenities, etc., with Oakwood. My husband and I have stayed in their Santa Rosa, CA location and would stay there again. Reasonable rates, new, clean, suite with kitchen.

Hiba Jun 2nd, 2002 09:54 PM

Thanks all for your suggestions! The Newport Oakwood were my first choice, but they are not air conditioned.<BR><BR>I will check exstay.com, thanks for that. I'd love further input from anyone who has seen the apts.<BR><BR>Cheers!

xxx Jun 3rd, 2002 01:19 PM

Newport Beach benefits from the ocean breeze, so many homes and apartments don't have air conditioning - not a much used item in that area. So I wouldn't base your decision strictly on that amenity.

Eve Jun 9th, 2002 04:09 AM

Dayle Jun 9th, 2002 07:34 AM

Hi Hiba!<BR><BR>That's true. If you are close enough to the beach - where the Oakwood Newports Apts are, you don't need A/C.