Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone comment on the following Boston Hotels and museums?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:18 AM
curious

We want to take advantage of the low rates at the following hotels in Boston and take our sons, ages 9 and 12, to either the Children's museum or the Museum of Science. Which of the 2 is better suited to their ages? Also, can anyone comment on the following hotels in terms of location and which might be best for us? The Lenox, The Westin Copley Plaza, The Omni Parker House or The Wyndham Downtown? Thanks so much for your help!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:28 AM
kcd

Given the ages of your children, I would suggest the Museum of Science over the Children's Museum. At the Museum of Science, the kids will love the Omni Theatre and Laser Show, as well as the museum itself. I would also suggest the Westin Copley Plaza over the other hotels listed. Copley is a great touristy, safe area. The downtown section of Boston pretty much closes down after work, and there's not as much to do as the Copley Square area.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:35 AM
curious

Thanks kcd. What about restaurants that the kids would enjoy, either with a kids menu or a really good pizza place?

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 06:15 AM
John

I agree with kcd. Copley is a convenient location. Use the "T" to get around (most places will be within walking distance).
Take a Boston Duck Tour (if you are here when they are running).
For east good for kids, try the Hard Rock Cafe, Fire and Ice, or any place in the Fanueil Hall/North End area.
Also go to the NE Aquarium.
If the kids were older I would say go see the Jacqueline Kennedy exhibit at the JFK Museum.
Unfortunately the Constitution is closed. Otherwise do the "Freedom Trail".
If you are here in Oct, take a day trip to Salem for all the Halloween related/Witch activities.
Have a great time. Boston is safe and uncrowded at the moment.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 06:51 AM
bennie

Definately take them to the Science Musuem - the Children's Musuem is geared toward kids under 8. There's a Sports Musuem too but it keeps moving its location and I'm not sure where it is these days. Also the Aquarium is always interesting.

For food - try Regina's pizza in the North End (better than the Regina's at Quincy Market). Also try Fire and Ice in either Havard Sq or the one near Newbury St/Copley Sq. (not pizza but fun place where you pick out your food and they cook it in front of you on a giant grill.)

All of those hotels are fine. Westin is the best location overall.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:27 AM
kcd

All the other posters gave good info. There are 2 malls in the Copley area with food courts, if you're looking for a quick, semi-cheap lunch. There's a California Pizza Kitchen in the Prudential Mall. Also, Faneuil Hall is kind of like a mega-food court. It's filled with all different kinds of take out. Be sure to check out Steve's Ice Cream!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:58 AM
Ann

I agree that the Westin Copley is probably the best for your purposes, as it's attached by walkways to the Copley Place mall and then to the Prudential mall.

In the Prudential mall is a restaurant popular with young folk (my daughter included). It's the Movenpick Marche. Lots of stations serving everything from pizza to sushi, and you walk around and select what you want (which may not be with another person wants...allowing for everyone to be happy). Open very late, and tends to be crowded.

All other suggestions are right on. I believe the sports museum is currently at the Fleet center (the sports arena where the Celtics play). Have a great visit.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:09 AM
curious

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. We are planning on going as soon as we have a free weekend (when fall baseball is over), which will be the first week of November.
My husband and I have been to Boston many times but this is the first with our children. It's a very different perspective! The "Fire and Ice" restaurant sounds interesting. What type of cuisine is it?

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:20 AM
John

Fire and Ice has 2 locations in Boston. One in Back Bay and one in Harvard Square. For a flat fee (around $14-16) you get all you can eat. You are seated at a table and drink orders are taken. Then you go to a food bar to select items to "grill". They consist of all imaginable grillable items ranging from sirloin, chicken, fish (salmon and schrod), shrimp, scallops, mussels, (even crayfish), sausage (several different types). Then there are noodles, veggies, garlick at another food bar. You pack as much as you can in a bowl. You also select from a large selection of sauces. You take all these to the "grill" where in turn they are grilled/stir fried while you watch. When "done" the sauce is poured over in the final grilling. It is then placed on a plate. Also served to the table are tortillas and white rice.
There is also a salad bar. Caesar and mixed greens which you can supplement with veggies from the veggie bar.
I usually go bakc for a second plate and am too full for dessert.
(we were there last night so my memory is fresh).
It is noisey and crowded. Go early or be prepared to wait. I think if you have a large group they take reservations.
It's a lot of fun and good food.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:22 AM
curious

Thanks for the great info John! Fun and noisy sounds perfect for my boys!

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 08:47 AM
Joanne

John gave a great description of Fire and Ice. I believe that this style was originally billed as "Mongolian Barbecue"!!! The sauces range from teriyaki to cajun nowadays, though. Great fun to watch, and of course everybody gets to eat exactly what they want.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:10 AM
m

Definitely take the boys on the freedom trail. It's run by the parks dept. and is free. Your hotel will be able to gve you the necessary info.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Mare

I second the suggest to go to the Aquarium--and be sure to take in the sea lion show.

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 07:25 PM
Donna

More recommendations for Fire & Ice, the New England Aquarium and a Duck Tour. All are fabulous. We've had fabulous luck booking through www.hotwire.com for the lowest rates imaginable. The hotels (so far, new Doubletree and Back Bay Hilton) are a few blocks away from "prime convenient", but the savings more than compensate for a few taxi fares and both are very close to a subway stop. Rates are rock bottom and both establishments are fabulous! If you're booking otherwise, though, our favorite is the Omni Parker House.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 05:33 AM
curious

Donna, I was actually considering Hotwire to book a hotel but was fearful of not knowing which hotel we would end up with, or getting a hotel without 2 beds. So using hotwire you got the Hilton and the Doubletree? thanks.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:45 AM
tryingtobehelpful

RE: Comments on the Fire & Ice Restaurant please read the Message board postings on www.phantomgourmet.com before you book - There have been quite a few negative experiences reported.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 06:57 AM
mimi taylor

good morning curious, I agee with the posters who suggest the Science Museum< there is a restaurant there with a great view of the Charles, and the Movenpick at Prudential,, because there is so much there, they won't be bored and they can pick what they want. There are boat cruises on the charles and the Boston Harbor. The Lenex is practically next door to the Copley subway stop.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 07:55 AM
Jen

Curious...I, too, did not (and could not) want to book and end up with only one bed. After research, I ended up with a king parlor suite at the Doubletree Downtown for &157 and THEN saw something that peeked my interest called Easy Escape. I called the Doubletree back and they gave me the same room for $115. That's a king size bed in one room with TV, a living room with a queen pull out and a tv, refrigerator and micro included. Also, upon check in they will give you a booklet with coupons for air and hotel deals at a later date. Check it out. And of course, Doubletree chocolate chip cookies baked fresh daily.

Old Oct 16th, 2001, 09:34 AM
curious

Thanks, Jen, Mimi and everyone else for your responses. You've been so helpful!

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 11:20 AM
Boonie

DO NOT stay at the Omni Parker!! Altho
it is in a great location, we found the
service to be both uninteresting & slow.
And after eating in the bar area one
night I realized after getting back to our room that I had left my jacket there. When I went to check it was gone
and no one had a clue where it went! They did next to nothing to help me find
it. The last straw was when we got back
from our trip and saw that they had charged us both for our room when it had
already been prepaid in connection with a tour. I'll never stay there again.
If you get a chance take the T to the JF
Kennedy Library/Museum which also houses
for a short time the Jackie Kennedy
exhibit. We spent 6 hours going through
all of it. Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -