Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Can anyone be a "street performer"? -- (esp. in Seattle, SF, NO, etc.)

Old May 28th, 2004, 11:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year when we were in SF, I bought a new guitar for my teenage son. He is a very good amateur guitarist, and wants nothing more than for people to hear him play. We saw numerous "street performers" at Fisherman's Wharf, and my son only half-jokingly suggested he would like to sit down and play his guitar -- and perhaps make a little money in the process. This year we will be in Seattle for a week. He may take one of his guitars, or there is always the possibility we will buy another (!) one. I expect he will be asking if he can sit down and "play" at Pike Place Market or Seattle Center. My question is: Is there anything "illegal" about doing this? Do you have to have a permit to "perform" in public? Can he accept "donations"? At Fisherman's Wharf, we saw quite a few people on the street accepting money for doing silly things, and I'm sure they didn't have a permit. (One guy was just sitting there with a sign reading, "Will accept verbal abuse for $1.00." Not a bad idea!) I thought I should ask this question before the situation comes up. I don't mind my son being a "street performer", but I certainly don't want him to get arrested!
Old May 29th, 2004, 04:17 AM

Interesting topic! Having enjoyed watching street performers all over the world I was intrigued by your question. It's difficult to find the answer on the Net, have found nothing definitive about legality in S.Fran anyway. Calling the city may or may not help. The laws are pretty vague. There is, however, a pretty strict code and etiquette among the performers themselves. If your son is sincerely interested, he can research by using the following links for starters:

http://www.performers.net/library/rex.html

http://communityartsadvocates.org/saacodeethics.html
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Sorry, I see you are interested in Seattle info. In order to perform at Pike Place Market he will need to meet with the Market Master, fill out an application and get a performer's badge.

http://communityartsadvocates.org/saacodeethics.html
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:38 AM

Wrong link. Try this one:
http://www.pikeplacemarket.org/commu...ome_performer/
Old May 29th, 2004, 05:41 AM

We were in N.O. French Qtr in Oct of 2000 watching street performers. We talked with a man from NJ that moved there to perform a comedy/juggling act (very funny!). He told us that street performers in N.O. are required to register for a permit.
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:47 AM

Rules vary place by place. In NY street performers are supposed to have a license - but this is rarely enforced. However, a diffrent license is required to perform in the subway - and this is apparently enforced strictly.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:03 AM

Once we at the airport and I went to get the car while I left DH to gather the luggage. While he was waiting for me he sat down on a bench outside baggage claim. He took out his ukulele and started playing, just to pass the time. Before I got back with the car he had made a few bucks and thought it was very, very funny. People would just drop a dollar in his hurricane hat he had sitting on the bench next to him. Now I send HIM for ther car.
Old May 29th, 2004, 10:14 AM
GoTravel

I believe in Key West they are chosen by lottery by the city.

Old May 29th, 2004, 10:19 PM

I believe performing at Pike Place Market, as Maggi mentions, officially requires a permit. How strongly it's enforced or not, or how hard it is to obtain a permit, I don't know. However, there are a few other choice areas in Downtown Seattle for performers. I don't know if permits are required, but I'll usually see a few performers in these areas at any given time. Anywhere along Pine Street between 6th and 3rd Avenues is packed with people, and usually has a few performers. This includes Westlake Plaza, which has a lot of space for someone to stretch out and do their thing. Also, Victor Steinbrueck Park, just west of Pike Place Market, is another busy area. Other than those two areas, I would look at First Avenue between, say, Stewart Street in the north and University Street to the south. Another good area might be around the new library that just opened. It's located at Fourth Avenue and Madison Street. It's been mobbed with people since it's grand opening last Sunday. How long the large crowds will last is anyone's guess, but it might be worth the consideration for a street performer this summer. I went there this afternoon and it was still crowded.

I don't know if Seattle Center, just north of downtown, requires performers to register. Certainly, I almost always see performers there whenever I stroll the grounds. But just off the Center grounds, in Lower Queen Anne, are some good spots for street performers (try around the intersection of Queen Anne Avenue and Mercer Street). There's a record shop, pizzaria and several other restaurants, and hotel within that block, not to mention scores of apartment buildings. Not quite as busy as downtown (more of a neighborhood feel), but still active street scenes, with probably a friendlier, slower pace.