Search

Rental Car question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rental Car question

I made a car res. with Enterprise last night-in Florida. I was told EACH driver had to have a credit card in their name. My husband does not have a credit card. We have rented many cars-without being asked if we each have one. Is this new? Any companies that don't require this? Thanks
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:00 PM

Whenever we've picked up a rental car, usually I've booked it (so far, I've only booked via Hotwire and Priceline with either Hertz or Avis) and give them my credit card to match the reservation. When I ask is my husband needs to be listed (as he usually does all the driving), they tell me the spouse is automatically permitted to drive the car. Maybe this is something specific to Enterprise?
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 06:02 PM

We just rented from Thrifty and were also told that the spouse is automatically included as a driver. I did not have to show an additional credit card.
Old Aug 9th, 2004, 10:01 PM

Enterprise can be a pain in the _ to deal with. They are probably just trying to think of some reason to charge you an extra fee. Most car companies do not require the 2nd credit card if that 2nd driver is a spouse.

Also beware that if you got a really low rate with Enterprise, they will practically force you at gunpoint to purchase their extra insurance coverages. They tend to exasperate people into compliance.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 03:43 AM

And do not assume that the spouse will be included for free--sometimes there is an extra charge with some companies which is REALLY irritating. Haven't ever had to have two credit cards although it wouldn't be a problem. Why don't you try a bid on Priceline or Hotwire and see if you can get a better rate--then cancel Enterprise.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:19 AM

We rented a car from Dollar when we went to Disney this past Christmas and if you join their membership program (free) your spouse does drive for free and does not need a credit card. With other companies I found that the extra driver (spouse or not) was not free.

Also when using Dollar you can plug in FLTVL code. It is found in most Florida Travel Vacation Guides. When every other company was wanting to charge us $500 and up for a compact car for the week, that code allotted us a standard car for about $200.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 05:53 AM
caribtraveler

Barbie2: Never head that one before. If I OR my husband rent a vehicle, whoever is the primary renter gives their own credit card and there's a fee for the 2nd driver (no credit card required). But again I've never rented from Enterprise.

Old Aug 10th, 2004, 02:12 PM

I've never heard of the second driver requiring their own credit card either, and have not used Enterprise. But I have always paid an extra daily fee for second driver. I was pleasantly surprised when checking into a rental for Las Vegas or Phoenix that the second driver is free.
Old Aug 10th, 2004, 07:13 PM

We used Enterprise last year for our Yellowstone/Grand Tetons trip; we picked up the car in Salt Lake City. Not only did Enterprise "not" pressure us into getting unnecessary insurance but they also didn't ask to see an additional credit card either.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 08:24 AM

Just a quick update as I am trying to make a car reservation for our upcoming trip to Las Vegas and Grand Canyon.
Budget told me that it is now their national policy that ALL second drivers require a credit card. Spouse or not. National and Dollart told me that, in Vegas or Phoenix at least, second driver must have a credit card. The ones that dont seem to have this policy for Vegas or Phoenix that I have checked so far are: Alamo & Hertz. Nevada doesnt charge for second drivers, but Arizona does apparently. But with some companies (Hertz for sure)if you have AAA membership or other affiliations they waive the second driver fee they told me. Who knew booking a car rental could get this complicated?! Hope this helps someone.
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

I was so underwhelmed by Enterprise I decided to take my chances on Priceline.
I went from $198.00 (including taxes and fees) to $138.00. The reservation is with National. I have never rented with them. I was thrilled with the rate.
Thanks for all the info! Prayers to all our friends in FL!!!!
Old Aug 12th, 2004, 06:15 PM

I'm glad you are happy with your new rate from Priceline. I have never used them, scared to get something I wouldn't be happy with. What would/could you have done if you had gotten a company that required the credit card for your husband thing?

I am having a heck of a time trying to get this car thing sorted out for our trip. It seems in reading previous posts here I am encountering all the same issues/stories as others have: no drop off charge but the one way rental fee is $100 more, same thing to me; its a drop off fee. So now altered our plans for flying out of a different city. When I go to the rental company sites directly I cant get the rates that I saw before, finally realized its because I live in Canada, they add another $100 on just for that privilege! I had an insane conversation with Hertz today about this. Their website asks where are you located? If you answer Canada the rate increases. I called and asked what the difference was. The first answer was that Hertz is a big international company and they have to give preference to residents of the United States because Canadians obviously cant rent normally from Hertz. I asked why not. His answer: because we arent in the States so obviously our opportunity to use Hertz is limited to our holidays. My answer: you dont think there is Hertz in Canada? His answer: not to my knowledge. I let that guy off the line and called back for hopefully someone more enlightened. Asked the same questions: he points out: it doesnt ask where I am a resident of, only where I am located, he assumes it means at the time I am making the reservation. I asked how they would know, other than my drivers licence being from Canada, maybe I made the reservation from Florida. He admits there is no way to prove where I was at the time...we talk in circles for 10 minutes. He suggests I make the reservation from a computer in the States. I couldnt believe this whole story. Frustrating to say the least. And while I'm trying to get this all sorted out re which airport I'm flying into, my fare disappears and I cant get a decent flight on United now, lol. SO scrap that plan of using the Marriott/United promotion. I'm ranting, I know...sorry. But these care rental companies are driving me crazy. Stupidest part of planning the whole trip.