camping yellowstone & tetons w/kids

Jul 26th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

camping yellowstone & tetons w/kids

We are taking a last minute trip from DC to yellowstone with our 3,7,10 year olds. We want to camp in yellowstone. We want to be able to make reservations ahead of time. Which campsite do you recommend? We also need recommendations for tetons.
Jul 26th, 2004, 05:03 PM

The campgrounds in Yellowstone run by the park service are first come only. There are several campgrounds & lodging run by a concessionaire which do accept reservations. Check www.xanterra.com/properties/yellowstone.htm.
Not aware of a similar situation for the campgrounds in the Tetons.
Jul 27th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Canyon Campground in Yellowstone is one of the most convenient, and does accept reservations. The campground is shady and is the highest campground in the park, so its a bit cooler than the others - depending on when you're going this can be a good or bad thing.

Showers and laundry are available at the campground entrance. Canyon Village has several restaurants and shops.

I prefer not to stay near the lake because of mosquitos. Mammoth Campground is inconvenient and noisy. Norris campground is reputed to be nice, but does not accept reservations - also, the nearest showers etc are at Canyon.

I don't think any of the campgrounds in GTNP accept reservations (but I might be wrong). There are also no showers that I know of. Jenny Lake CG is very popular, but difficult to get into. I've camped a couple of times at Signal Mountain campground in the Tetons, mainly because I like the location.
Jul 27th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Syv

If the campgrounds won't take reservations, you will need to drive "straight there" and reserve your spot first thing in the morning. Then backtrack to see the sights along the way. Otherwise, you may end up in the middle of the park with no vacancies at any campground mid-day.
Jul 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM

We did this trip years ago when our kids were similar ages. What we did is to stay at the campgrounds about 40 miles outside of the park for one night. We then got up early and drove into the park and basically waited until we saw a desirable campsite where someone was packing up. We then moved on to the Tetons. What we did then was that I got up early (say 6 or so) and drove down to the Tetons by myself to grab s site. I did the same drill, watching for someone to be taking down in a desirable location. I then paid for the site and drove back up to Yellowstone to take down our camp and get my husband and kids. It was an extra hassle but we got a desirable site and it was a lot easier than forcing all of the kids out of bed early to break camp. Plus, as a mom of three little kids having some time for a quiet solitary drive wasn't all bad.
Aug 2nd, 2004, 02:33 PM

My family wanted to camp in Yellowstone during the 4th of July week several years ago, and worried about getting a spot. We didn't get up early, but we did drive in from Cody right to Norris Basin to get a spot by noon. We ended up with a lovely site by the river, despite the fact it was a prime summer week.