Camping on Kauai and the Big Island?

Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:51 PM
m_v
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping on Kauai and the Big Island?

Hello all,
My husband and I are planning our trip to Hawaii for June/July (I know, a bit last minute).
Our itinerary looks like this so far:

- 5 nights in Maui (not sure where yet, but somewhere relaxing with nice beaches)
- 6 nights in Kauai (again, not sure where, but would like to see some of the beautiful cliffs and do some hiking and snorkeling in the north and maybe a couple of days of hiking/beach in the south)
- 6 nights on the BI (2 days in Volcanoes NP for hiking and 4 days in Kona for snorkeling and relaxation before going home)

We are looking to do some camping on Kauai (~4 nights) and the Big Island (~2 nights in the VNP or thereabout) to save a bit of $$.

For Kauai, we would like to be close to a beach (though not necessarily on the beach) where it's safe to swim and has good snorkeling. Would north or south be better for this? Can anyone recommend a safe campground that has showers/toilets?

On the BI, I'm not sure if it's possible to still get permits to camp in the NP this close to the date, so any other recommendations would be helpful.

Alternatively, if anyone can recommend affordable accommodations in these areas, that would be great too. I tried looking on vrbo, but so much stuff comes up that it's really hard to sort through it (and I can't figure out how to limit by price and availability), so I gave up on that.

any help would be much appreciated!
thanks in advance!
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I have visited the islands but I have not camped there. I do love this website and I think it might be a good resource for you - http://www.alternative-hawaii.com/accom/dxcc.htm
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 03:21 PM

Anini Beach is a nice place to camp on Kaui.

What is an affordable accomodation rate in $$USD?
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 03:23 PM

I posted this one (Big Island) elsewhere a bit ago; love the location (Waikoloa Beach resort, swim and snorkel A-Bay), and I don't think you could get a more affordable place (we actually paid more for this unit). Nice 2 bd, 2 bath, great pool, etc. If they are booked (I didn't check the calendar), there are lots of condos in that area on VRBO: http://www.vrbo.com/413069
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:07 PM
m_v
Original Poster

starrs, thanks for the website recommendation. I'll check out their camping/cabins section.

placename, as far as what's affordable, I want to say $100-125, but that doesn't seem to be realistic for Hawaii (esp. considering cleaning fees, resort fees, parking, etc.). Hence, camping seems like our best bet.

Sylvia, thanks for the recommendation. That's exactly what we are looking for, but all these places seem to have a 5 night minimum, which doesn't work for us.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:20 PM

You might try bed and breakfasts. They are in that price range. In Kihei on Maui, What a Wonderful World might work for you. See the website. We have also stayed at B&Bs on Kauai and Big Island. You are not usually on the water, but you're normally not far away.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 04:35 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
We stayed here when we visited Volcanoes - http://www.haleohia.com/rooms.htm We were in Cottage 44 - slept in the water tank - but they have a couple of suites in your price range. We really liked the location.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:24 PM

Not sure if you are interested in staying a few nights on the Hilo side, but we stayed here and it was a beautiful condo at a great price. $95 a night.

http://www.airbnb.com/rooms/231062
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM

There are no roads to the "beautiful cliffs" in Kauai. You can only see them from boat or helicopter.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:01 PM

Have slept on a boat in Hawaii - but never camped there. Would be great. Hope you file a post trip report.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 07:05 PM

We once rented a camper on the Big Island- don't know if they are still doing that but we sure had fun- however, that was a few years ago - don't want to admit to how many.
Old Apr 26th, 2012, 10:58 PM

There are fairly inexpensive, rustic cabins on Kauai in Kokee.Should be able to find a link on line.

There are state park cabins on Maui in the Hana side as well as on the Big Island.

I would not recommend camping in Hawaii. That is from a local's perspective.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 03:44 AM
m_v
Original Poster

okoshi, why do you say that? Safety reasons or just inconveniences (eg. weather)?
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 04:17 AM

We stayed for 4 nights at that condo; we also got 2 nights at a cottage in Kapoho, 1 B&B night in Volcano, and another place (near where you could walk to the lava, but I've forgotten the subdivision) for only 1 night. All of these had longer minimums, but their calendars were open and they accepted fewer nights when we asked.
I suggest calling or emailing if there's a place you think you'd like, and just asking; all they can say is sorry, no, or they might agree!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:15 AM
m_v
Original Poster

thanks sylvia, I didn't realize they are flexible on the rules. that was really holding me back from contacting any places, but now I will!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:19 AM
m_v
Original Poster

another question to anyone who has been to Maui, would the north/west (eg Lahaina) or south/west (eg. Kihei) be better for beaches and snorkeling? What about restaurants?
thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Our friends from Waimea had a cabin up in Kokee (The Mauka cabin - which was before the State of Hawaii decided to foreclose on all of the locals' cabins. Guess they wanted to hasve a monopoly on renting out cabins. Such a shame.)

It was so peaceful - and you had to cut the wood for the fire that warmed the hot water.

There was a stack of some old comics over in the corner (this was back in the 70's) - and I told them I thought they had some collectors items that were worth some coin.

They showed us such Ohana. Their niece worked with my wife - and the four of us (two couples) just had a blast - as these 67 year young grandparents showed us all around Kauai - just wore us out.

They also gave my wife a Niihau shell necklace (one of their friends at the local hospital was from Niihau) and years later, we were up at the Grand Canyon/Kokee - at an overlook - when a guide for some bicycle group told us the necklace was now probably worth a $1,000. Double
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:40 AM

We have snorkeled at the far north end of Maui - and it was great - and also at the far south end of Kiehei (that was years ago) - at La Perouse Bay (you had to drive over lava rock to get there way back when) - and that was also great.

There is also good snorkeling out along the Black Rock? - by the old Sheraton in Kaanapali.

And when we were at La Perouse Bay - a couple local guys shot some fish there (spear fishing) and they were stoked that they were going to have a big party that night. Think it was Ulua which are very tasty. http://tinyurl.com/8yatjr8

Today - I think it's much easier to get to La Perouse Bay than it was in the 70's. http://www.hawaiigaga.com/maui/attra...rouse-bay.aspx
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:44 AM

BTW - I think Okoski might mean camping may not be the best idea if you are a Haole. Some locals, rightfully so IMO - feel it's really their beaches to camp at - and the tourists can go just go stay elsewhere. So it wouldn't be surprising if your camp site was picked clean of valuables.
Old Apr 27th, 2012, 05:58 AM

There are places you should not camp because of theft, intimidation and some incidents of violence, which did include the murder of two tourists. These would be Issac Hale, Mackenzie, and Milolii on The Big Island. There are problems with some poorly maintained campsites (trash accumulations, damaged toilets or showers). Ho'okena used to be a problem area, but it is operated as a supervised private campground and is safe now. There is camping at Hawaiian Volcanoes National Park, but because of the elevation, it is quite cool and can be rainy. You need to be prepared.

http://www.konaweb.com/konaweb/camping.shtml

On Maui, portions of the La Perouse Bay Marine Preserve are closed to snorkeling.

In south Maui, Malakua Beach (in front of Makena Resort) is a very nice beach and has good snorkeling.

Please make sure and double check that the information given on some above posts is current. Someone's reminiscences from 30 years ago probably will not reflect current situations.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -