Search

Camping in Sequoia NP this July 4th?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camping in Sequoia NP this July 4th?

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to Sequoia NP this July 4th weekend, but haven't got any lodging reservation. Is it easy to get a campsite? I'm planning to "camp" in my SUV, not in a tent. What do I have to watch out for? Are bear encounters very common?

Also, any info on cabins would be appreciated too. Not sure I could get anything at this point.

Please advise.
Thanks!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Our tour bus was parked at Sequoia NP, and when we came back, the driver who stayed with the bus, said a bear just walked by.

I thought he was joking till I looked down and saw 2 bears. Oh, did our cameras got work-outs!!
Old Jun 24th, 2005, 02:13 PM

We are going to Sequoia in mid-July, camping at the Lodgepole campground. We have not been there before, but have done a little research.

The campground appears fairly large and there is a river that runs through the middle of it.

Recently I checked the availiblity of campsites online for our weekend - some friends were considering going up with us - and there were sites availible in our campground. For the holiday weekend, I don't know, but it is possible. Only 1/5 of the people visit Sequoia and Kings Canyon as visit Yosemite.

Bears are an issue and campsites come with bear boxes where you must store your food and other smelly things like soap, gum, etc. I don't know if you can store that stuff in your car. Sleeping in the car shouldn't be a problem though.
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

If anyone could provide info on specific campsites or rustic cabins, I'd appreciate it.

Also, how far is Kings Canyon from Sequoia NP? Is it do-able to visit both within 3 days? Thanks
Old Jun 27th, 2005, 01:22 PM
maj

We stayed in Grant's Grove. They have campsites there and rustic cabins, bath cabins as well as a lodge, visitor center, restaurant and grocery store. There is also a Giant Tree Grove and hiking trails. Panorama Point is also in the area.

It takes about an hour from there in one direction to get to the end of the Kings Canyon Road. This road has fantastic views especially as you get into the Canyon. There are 2 falls you can get to very easily along the road (Grizzly Falls and Roaring River Falls). We also hiked around Zumwait Meadows and to Mist Falls (great hike -- it took us most of a day, but we really took our time). You can see most of Kings Canyon in one day.

It takes about an hour in the other direction to get to the main part of Sequoia from Grant's Grove. IMO, you could easily see the highlights in both in 3 days, unless you plan on doing some long hikes. We don't camp, so I can't help you there.