Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > camping in mid-coast Maine and near Acadia National Park

camping in mid-coast Maine and near Acadia National Park

Mar 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster
camping in mid-coast Maine and near Acadia National Park

This August we plan to take a week and drive our motorhome from Connecticut to Acadia National Park. We plan to camp somewhere in the Mid-Coast area for a few days.How about Camden Hills State Park? Do you have any other suggestions for a location that our 2 children (7 and 4) would enjoy? We plan to spend the rest of the week near Acadia NP. Any suggestions for campgrounds that would be in a good location to visit and explore the Park?
Mar 19th, 2004, 01:01 PM
I camped at Bass Harbor Campground in Bar Harbor, Maine last July. It is in the 'quiet side of Mt Dessert Island' and about 15 min drive to the National Park and very close to the beautiful Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. The campground is well maintained and hosted by some friendly folks.
I was going to camp at the Blackwoods campgound run by National Park service inside the park. But it was all full by the end of June. It is definitely the closest to the park as you can get. I have friends who camped there before and say that it is not bad comparing to other National Park service run campgrounds.
Mar 20th, 2004, 04:08 AM
Double check the facilities at Camden Hills State Park. If it is the one at the base of Mt Battie, it was very nice with large sites but no hookups. The view from the top of Mt Battie is fantastic but I'm not sure you can take motor homes up. Are you towing a car? We camped at Searsport Shores which we thought was a great location. The campground is small and on the ocean but there is no swimming pool. We liked the staff and thought the rec hall was among the nicest we'd seen. You would also have the benefit of the small beach. The kids might like one of the campgrounds on the lake in Damariscotta better. But we thought prefer smaller campgrounds with less amenities.
Mar 22nd, 2004, 02:14 AM
We stay at White Birches Campground every year. It's in South West Harbor which is out of the park. The park campgrounds spaces are small and it can be very noisy. People in this area get up early to watch the first sunrise of the US on the Mt. You hear them starting out about 4 a.m. We find White Birches quieter.

Search this Thread