camping in Bryce and Zion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, We're coming from the uk on 28th of march 2013 for 10days. We are meeting family for 5 days in Las Vegas, then wanted to do a road trip to bryce and zion. What would the weather be like then, is it feasible to camp and if so can anyone recommend a camping tour that includes equipment.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 08:39 PM

We had snow flurries in July in Bryce and went to Kodachrome State Park which was at a much lower elevation to warm up.

"The rim at Bryce varies from 8,000 to 9,000 feet (2,400 to 2,700 m)."

The campgrounds are basically at rim level. I never was there in March but I would think that snow could be very likely.

http://www.bryce.canyon.national-park.com/weather.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 03:30 AM

Camped at Bryce for a night at the end of May - and it was beautiful - but it was cooler at night than Zion for sure. However - the stars were as clear as one could ever hope to see.

You might also consider staying at Ruby's Inn by Bryce, http://www.rubysinn.com/ and doing the camping at Zion, which could also get some weather but it is much lower - around 4,000 feet at the base. http://www.zionnational-park.com/zio...rk-weather.htm
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:44 PM

You need to make reservations to camp at Zion IF you are coming during Easter week.

First week in April at Bryce would definitely find me INDOORS.

I live here and have been to almost all the parks during all seasons. Because of our very dry and warm winter, I went to Zion in February this year. It was tee shirt weather, until the morning in snowed 4 inches. Melted by noon and then it was tee shirt weather again.

Typical Utah weather.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 05:47 PM

Zion: average high temps in March/April is 63/73F. Average low is 36/43F. Bryce is about 20 degrees colder. So the average low temp at night in Bryce is somewhere around 20F, which is well below freezing. You would need some winter camping gear for sure.

I wouldn't consider camping in Bryce that time of year unless you have experience in the snow.

Your bet would be to rent camping equipment at REI in Las Vegas or find a cheap discount store to purchase some equipment.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 02:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, thats given me a better insight. Probably stay in a lodge as a base then.