camper on a Dodge Dakota

Dec 11th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

camper on a Dodge Dakota

We want to buy a Six Pak camper to put on our Dodge Dakota and are wondering if anyone has any experience with the performance with this type of combination. The camper is made for the vehicle but will we ever get out of 4th gear? We are driving the alcan hwy next fall (2008)
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:46 AM

Couldn't you be more specific about the Camper? How much does it weigh? Is the truck rated to carry the weight (look inside the door jamb for load ratings). Does the truck have a big enough engine? if it's a v6 you are not going to be happy putting a heavy camper on it. The V6 is famous for running short of horsepower in between high gear and overdrive thusly the trans shifts back and forth all the time. Whats the altitude of this hwy you mention?
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:23 AM

We have owned a Dodge Dakota for four years now. We really like the truck, and bought the biggest engine available and the towing package. We haven't used a camper with it, but have towed a small pop-up trailer. It towed the trailer with no problems on level roads, but on fairly steep canyon roads it did struggle. It's an automatic and on the steep roads it kept shifting up and down annoyingly. Like it couldn't pick the right gear.
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM

It towed the trailer with no problems on level roads, but on fairly steep canyon roads it did struggle. It's an automatic and on the steep roads it kept shifting up and down annoyingly. Like it couldn't pick the right gear.
------------------------

Yeah, automatics will do that. I grew up in Colorado and still prefer stick shift. Automatics can't handle mountains very well.
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

The brand name six pak camper is a very small one that is made for the smallest pick-ups.The camper weighs about 900 lbs. The Dodge is a V-6 standard shift (5 speed) We are going to drive to Alaska on the Alcan Hwy which has mostly low elevation so it shouldn't be a problem. The camper will decrease gas milage of course. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with a camper on a Dakota.
Dec 12th, 2007, 08:42 PM

The Camper weighs 900 lbs. before you put your stuff in, right?
I have no experience with the combination you describe, but alot of experience in this area.
You shouldn't have much trouble with the standard shift but you will notice a lower power to weight ratio.
Dec 16th, 2007, 05:07 PM

"We are going to drive to Alaska on the Alcan Hwy which has mostly low elevation so it shouldn't be a problem."

It's not the elevation that matters ... it's the grades.

Also, once you get off the Alcan there are plenty of elevation gains through Alaska.

I had an old v6 dakota and used it to (slowly) pull a 22-foot cabin cruiser over Turnagain Pass numerous times en route from Anchorage to Seward. It was a good ol' truck with a towing package, but how that corresponds to a camper it's tough to say.
Dec 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM

I've never owned a Dakota, but 900 lbs isn't a lot for a V6 stick shift. I tow 10,000 plus with a Ford F350 and Dodge 2500 before that. NOt the same as a bed mount camper, but still a lot of weight.

I'm currently driving an automatic ford, but will go back to Stick shift next time.