Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Cameron Park & San Francisco w/ 2 young boys and their Great Grandma

May 5th, 2002, 03:44 PM
Linda

Hi! I will be visiting my Grandmother(Age 73) in Cameron Park,Ca.(Sacramento area) and then driving in to San Francisco. Are there any recommendations for the Cameron Park area w/ drive times(no thanks - to Mapquest etc. bad directions too many times)or places on the way to SF from that area? I have booked the Radisson on the Wharf for $169.00 a night incl. parking. This now seem's to high. My boys, age 9 & 5 will enjoy being close to FW but I would also like them to see some other sites. Would they enjoy Chinatown, Muir Woods,or Alcatraz? Is the Alcatraz tour long and is it too scary for their ages? Any info or sugguestions is welcome especially from anyone w/ children.

May 5th, 2002, 05:24 PM
janis

Won't make any SF rec - there are hundreds on the board you can find by searching. FW is a great place to stay w/ kids because there is a lot to keep them interested.

As for Cameron Park - it is on HWY 50 west of Placerville and east of Sacramento. Places within an easy drive include Lake Tahoe. But Hwy 50 to Tahoe can be VERY congested and slow on Friday afternoon/evenings and all day Sunday. So try to avoid these times.

Also nearby is HWY 49. This is the N-S highways that travels through the gold rush country. The main sites (mostly small 1850's gold rush towns) lie between Nevada City to the north and Somora to tyhe south. The Coloma gold discovery site is a state park on hwy 49 between Placerville and Auburn. Columbia State Park is a wonderful place for kids - an old time town to explore with stage coaches, etc.

Of course there is a lot for kids in Sacramento - Railroad museum, Old Sacramento, river boat rides and horse drawn carriages, the State Capitol - they'll love to feed the squirrels in capitol Park - and Sutters Fort.

May 6th, 2002, 08:07 AM
LInda

Thanks Janis that is very helpful!

May 6th, 2002, 10:55 AM
kam

We took a 10 year old to Alcatraz--he loved it, not scarey at all. The tour is a rented headphone so you can spend as little or much time as you want. I would think 2 hours will be plenty. Also in SF the cable car museum (free!), the Exploratorium, a hot fudge sundae at the Chocolate factory at Ghiarardelli, Hyde Street Pier to see the Balclutha, a three mast old ship, walk the GG Bridge and if you're baseball fans, try to get advance tickets to Pac Bell Park. If you're not really fans, you can just go there and watch free for 3 innings in the outfield viewing area. You can take an overview tour in a replica cable car from Pier 39 to get your bearings or do the Blue and Gold sightseeing ferry ride. We also took an 11 and 13 y.o. French kids to Columbia State Park in the Gold Country and they loved it.

May 6th, 2002, 11:28 AM
xx

On the way to SF from CP you will pass by Marine World on your right in Vallejo. It's big on roller coaster and does have a kids section. Lots of marine animal shows and also big animals. Check out the temperature before you go. It gets very hot there.