Atlanta, one day,what would you do?

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Joan

Atlanta, one day,what would you do?

Hi, I will be stopping over in Atlanta to make flight connections; both at the start and the end of an overseas trip,in Sept..
The first time we will get into Atlanta to late to do much but have dinner and get a good nights sleep.For this night I am thinking of staying at the Hyatt Regency. Does anyone know anything about this hotel?
It looks like it has a nice place for dinner with view of city as it revolves.Has anyone been there?

For the return stop over in Atlanta, we will be coming in on a morning flight( 9:00 a.m). I am sure we will be very tried,but would like to see a little of the city. We will
only have that afternoon to see anything.We fly out the next morning.
I am wondering what you think is the one thing not to be missed?
I have thought of taking an afternoon bus tour. Do you know if they are good?
Also what hotel would be good for this night
Thanks for any ideas

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:52 PM
kate

Besides exhaustion---you could visit the CNN center and take a tour of their studio. You could take the MARTA directly from the airport. Good luck.

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Christie

Yes, you will be exhausted from the time change on your return trip!

But if you do care to venture into Atlanta's downtown, it is very easy to do on the MARTA. Go to the Five Points station and you'll be right in downtown. The Coca-Cola World is fun, and so is Underground Atlanta Mall. I liked the CNN Center, although the tour was just OK. If you get there about 1:30 or earlier, you might be able to get on Talk Back Live for the day!

Old May 28th, 2002, 01:58 PM
Paul Rabe

Ditto the above comments: the CNN Center and the World of Coca Cola are the two unique things to do in Atlanta on a quick stop (unless you count driving on every variation of PeachTree in the city :^)

Old May 29th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Geoff

I would go to the World of Coca Cola or go to Lenox square and just hang out for a few hours. They have great food and alot of things to do there.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:35 PM
Lee

I would highly recommend visiting the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. historical sight. The museum is wonderful--very emotional and informative. If you leave this place without crying, at some point, you have no heart. You can spend as much or as little time here as you want, and it's free (they do ask for donations). My husband and I visited there in Dec., 2001, and really enjoyed it. I cannot say enough good things about this sight! I do recommend getting good directions to find it; our map was not extremely detailed and we spent some time looking for the sight.

In our one day in Atlanta, we went to the Dr. King sight and also visited the World of Coca Cola and the Underground. I was not very impressed with the Underground. If you want to shop, go to the Lennox area. I wish we had visited CNN--I've heard great things about it.

Old May 29th, 2002, 01:54 PM
Dee

Any of the above ideas would be great. If you are interested in shopping, I would skip Lenox Square and Phipps Plaza (upscale malls with stores you will find in most large cities) and head for a relaxing afternoon in Virginia Highlands. This area has a lot of "Atlanta personality" with fun shops and restaurants.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:56 PM
also

The Hyatt Regency downtown is pretty cool. I think it was one of the first, or maybe it was the tallest atrium hotel ever built. However b/c it's an atrium noise carries. The rooms are good, and so is the service. MARTA takes you right downtown, and the downtown station is only one block away, a 5-minute walk. If you're too tired for that, there are services from the airport that will drop you at the hotel for about $20.

Old May 31st, 2002, 10:20 AM
Gretchen

We were not pleased with our room at the Hyatt. Very small with small bed. I am currently trying to find info on the westin and ritz. the main lobby and rest of the hyatt was fine.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:35 PM
prizren

If you expect to see the city from the top of the Hyatt, you will be disappointed. At one time, that was possible, but for many years, the top of the Hyatt has been dwarfed by other, much taller buildings. The Ritz Carlton has an excellent reputation, but I have never stayed there. I have,however, stayed at the Weston several times. Even if you don't stay there, you might want to take the outside glass elevator to the top of the hotel, where there is a revolving cocktail lounge/ restaurant. I would not eat there; there are many better restaurants around, but on a clear day, the view is good and well worth the price of a drink.

Old May 31st, 2002, 06:52 PM
David

Go to Trader Vic's at the Hyatt and order a Navy Grog. Best tropical cocktail you'll ever have outside of Hawaii. Go to the Varsity drive-in and get a chili dog with onion rings.
www.thevarsity.com

Old Jun 9th, 2002, 10:55 AM
Brent

I have stayed at the Hyatt. It's lobby is spectacular. The room was OK but the mattress was lumpy. I would highly recommend the Downtown Wyndham a couple of blocks away. I was very impressed by the room with marble bathroom, cherry furniture and a wonderful bed with pillowtop mattress.