Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Camera Tips While on Vacation (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/camera-tips-while-on-vacation-225655/)

Dick May 28th, 2002 05:15 AM

Camera Tips While on Vacation

I posted this in the Australia Forum in response to a camera question.<BR><BR>Any one else care to add camera tips.<BR><BR>Message: A couple of tips when you are taking a lot of rolls of filem.<BR><BR>Number the exposed film can/cartridge as you finish each roll. It wil be easier to identify where a picture was taken if you can identify when it was taken.<BR><BR>Take in your odd numbered rolls to be develeoped on one day..and the even numbered rolls on the next day. The lchances of all photos being lost, misplaced, ruined etc is reduced to almost zero.<BR><BR>While there may not be much chance of anything going wrong, accidents/problems do occasionally arise. Better to be safe than sorry.<BR><BR>

Need May 28th, 2002 08:48 AM

Does anyone know how cameras and film are affected while going through the x-ray machines at the airport?<BR>What do people do with their film while traveling? Do you put your camera and film in a carry-on bag, and then not have it go through the x-ray?<BR>Will film be ruined if it goes through x-ray machine? HELP!!

Paul Rabe May 28th, 2002 02:19 PM

A simple solution to film concerns is to pack all film (exposed and unexposed)in a lead-lined bag, available in any camera shop. You'll have to show the bag as you go through security, so have it ready for opening. You do NOT want some overzealous security guard, noting that you have a bag of SOMETHING hidden from X-ray view, ripping open your carry on bag to get to the lead pouch.

beachbum May 28th, 2002 02:36 PM

As long as you're not shooting anything faster than ASA 400 you should be fine w/ film going through the carry-on security machines. But the x-rays are cumulative, so if it's an extended trip through lots of airports, buy the lead bag.

Annie May 28th, 2002 04:03 PM

Will they still hand inspect film? I always put it in a zip lock bag and just hand it through, but don't know if that will work now.

sam May 28th, 2002 04:25 PM

Not anymore Annie. Unless your film is over 1000 speed

b May 28th, 2002 07:58 PM

I just had two rolls of film ruined possibly by the xray machine. I took two rolls of film from a business trip to HOuston to a reputabe photography store (not a drug store developer) one roll showed damage on one area of the film, with a pattern associated with the rolled film..they didn't charge me for the developing and assumed there was some damage to the film but then the second roll also had similar, but less, damage. When I mentioned the photos were shot in Houston they asked about xray of luggage. I was randomly selected to have my luggage x-rayed. The photography store recommended a lead bag because the fast speed film (these were 800 asa) is more sensitive to xrays....this could be all b.s. but....

Clara May 29th, 2002 04:30 AM

Never ever ever put your film in your luggage, because most likely, it will be x-rayed. Carry it with you on your cary on bag. The machines that airport security uses to sceren the carry on baggage don't have as damagin rays as the machines used to screen the checked luggae!

Rosemary May 29th, 2002 06:40 AM

Went through extensive security screening at Salt Lake City (Southwest) a few weeks ago. They took a couple of pieces of checked baggage for extra X ray screening and specifically asked if we had film in there, if so we were asked to remove it first.

ab May 29th, 2002 09:24 AM

no one mentioned it to me and I didn't think about it, consequently had 48 photos with a weird streak on them.<BR><BR>I'll be more careful next time. <BR><BR>

zeke May 29th, 2002 09:45 AM

Camera tip: the side of the camera with the big hole should be pointed at the object you wish to take a pitcher of. If you feel a warm flash on your forehead and see green spots then you done it wrong again.