Cambria - One night in November

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husband and I are doing a short driving trip from LAX to SFO in mid November. We are trying to decide where to stay in Cambria. We want to be as close to the beach as possible (I understand there is a frontage road in front of most properties) and have a patio or deck with a view of the ocean. We want to keep the price close to $200.

So far, Moonstone Cottages ($199-$219), Moonstone Landing ($189-$219) and Pelican Cove ($189) look great on-line. Anybody have any thoughts on these or other properties that fit our desires.

Thanks
JD
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify,

We are fly into LAX earlier Wed morning. Heading up through Santa Ynez area for some wine tasting ending up in SLO for the night.

Thursday night is in Cambria after exploring SLO Morro Bay and maybe Paso Robles during the day on Thursday.

Get up Friday morning and head up hwy 1 to explore Big Sur. Spend Friday evening in Monterey and fly out of SFO Sat afternoon.

We are doing Wed and Fri nights with Holiday Inn points, so we want to "splurge" for one night lodging with an ocean view.

Thanks!!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:05 PM

Look for a property on Moonstone Beach, that's the frontage road with the oceanfront views from all the motels along the road. We have rented a house in Cambria and love it, but have never stayed in one of the motels. In November, you shouldn't have a problem finding a reasonable rate.

Try this website for an extensive list of lodging options:
http://www.visitcambriacalifornia.co...one_beach.html
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I've checked that website. I was hoping for some specific comments on the properties I listed. They all look great on the web.

Thanks!
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 07:44 PM

HI-- a suggestion--type Moonstone in the search box and then click on California and lots of posts will come up (I just did that) I remember a post from a while back where several people talked about the motels on Moonstone Beach. Good luck.
Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 11:22 PM

We stayed at Moonstone Landing last December in the Ocean Front Double room. The weather was rainy but we enjoyed the fireplace and did get to go out on the patio in the morning. I was very pleased with the room. The bathroom is beautiful and the rooms are big. They have a nice cheese and wine spread in the afternoon. We were heading back to San Diego from San Francisco and wished we could have stayed longer.

The Sea Chest restaurant is right next door although we ended up eating at Robin's and enjoyed our meal there. The Sow's Ear also gets rxcellent reviews.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:45 AM

I vote Moonstone Landing. Husband and I stayed there in 2004 and enjoyed our room and location immensely. We were lucky ... just showed up and they had a vacancy. The "Sow's Ear" restaurant in the town of Cambria is very good.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 07:58 AM

We have stayed at the Blue Whale Inn, www.bluewhaleinn.com,,the Fireside Inn and Cypress Cove Inn which is now joined with Pelican Suites. We enjoyed each place, Cypress Cove being my favorite for the quaint ambiance and friendly service.

Sow's Ear is our favorite place for dinner. Moonstone Beach Bar & Grill is also good. We like to sit at "the rail" and enjoy the ocean views while we eat. Robin's and the Sea Chest are also both very good. Still have to make it over to the Black Cat for dinner, maybe later in the month. Cheers and enjoy Cambria! ***kim***
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! At this point, I'm thinking Moonstone Landing or Pelican Cove Inn will be our choice. Our #1 priority seems to be having a small patio or deck attached to the room. We'd like to be able to sit outside and enjoy the sounds of the ocean.

Can anyone compare the two properties?

Kim - have you stayed at Pelican Cove Inn?

Thanks
JD
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Hi Kim and Paula1470!

Not sure if you saw my report from our 3.5 week cross country adventure in july, but i thanked you both for your SAGE advice re cambria. Paula, you were totally right about Moonstone Landing, we absolutely loved it. Kim, your tip about the shell station saved us some big bucks and we found great sweatshirts there! So thanks again to both of you!

To the OP, i highly recommend Moonstone Landing. The newest property with totally unobstructed view. To find my full report with many details, click on my name. You're in for a treat, its a lovely area! Have fun!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Ellen, Your post steered me to the Moonstone Landing. It sounded great from your post and exactly what we are looking for. I just need to make up my mind and stop driving my husband crazy!
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 08:25 AM

Hi JD! I must have been topping / replying to my trip report when you posted

Yes, i know what you mean as i spend waaay too much time trying to choose all our lodging on our cross country trips, probably the most ever in the big sur / cambria area!

I really think you'd love moonstone landing if you're looking for a totally unobstructed view with a balcony, and totally immaculate. I mean, those are two HUGE requisites for me, and we were more than pleased with our choice. Request second floor oceanfront. You'll love it, i'm soo jealous!
Let us know what you decide.
Old Oct 4th, 2005, 12:52 PM

No, haven't stayed at Pelican Cove, only the Cypress Cove. I think we need to make a day trip to Cambria this weekend! We're only a little over a couple of hours away and we enjoy wine tasting in Paso on the way over.

My kids have been asking for the chicken pot pies from Linn's bakery. ***kim***
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Just booked the Moonstone Landing with Patio ocean view. Will report back after trip in November. 37 days left until our mini getaway.

Thanks everyone.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 08:03 PM

I'm not going to reply about the Cambria lodging because it looks like you've got that dialed in. You won't be disappointed. That is an excellent place to stay. You're basically on the beach.

One thing though, with your itinerary, if you go wine tasting you might end up staying more time in that area. It definitely slows you down. The first day is pretty ambitious and possibly very tiring. Have you been to this area before?
If you end up eating dinner in Santa Ynez you must eat at the Brothers restaurant at Mattie's Tavern. Most everyone knows about it. I was just thinking today we need to drive up for a dinner.
Have an excellent time.
Old Oct 10th, 2005, 11:03 PM

Or Chef Rick's in Orcutt. In either case make a reservation!
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Lauri, I'm a little worried that the first day, driving from LAX to SLO with stops in the wine country, will be too much. The dinner tips might come in handy.

Anyone know how long from LAX to Santa Ynez? I'm sure it depends on traffic in LA.

Thanks
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 08:39 AM

It's about 2 hours to Santa Barbara, another hour to Solvang/Buellton, and about another hour to San Luis Obispo. Of course allow more time for congestion getting out of LA and getting thru Santa Barbara.
Old Oct 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM

What time and what day are you arriving at LAX? Everything is measured in time in LA not in miles, unfortunately.
Old Oct 12th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

We arrive around 8:30am, need to get rental car and luggage, so we will probably be leaving LAX around 10:00 am on a Wednesday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -