Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

California travel itinerary. Suggestions/Comments welcome!

Old Jan 10th, 2014, 10:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip to California in April/May. I have done some research but would really appreciate any suggestions regarding our tentative itinerary! This will likely be our only trip to California without kids

Day 1: Arrive at San Francisco airport at noon. Pick up rental car and drive to Sonoma Valley.

Day 2: Sonoma Valley wine tour. Second night in Sonoma Valley

Day 3: Drive to Monterey after breakfast. How long realistically should this take?

Day 4: Day trip along coast to Hearst Castle and back to Monterey. Thoughts on whether this is realistic? Other option is just to stay in Monterey and surrounding area for the day.

Day 5: After lunch and hopefully visiting the aquarium, drive to San Francisco. Was hoping to drop off rental car, since we will be staying in Fisherman's Wharf and hope to walk or take transit most places.

Day 6: San Francisco. Alcatraz.

Day 7: San Francisco. Sightseeing.

Day 8: Take BART to airport for flight home

Thanks in advance for your comments! Any suggestions regarding best driving routes would also be appreciated. This may seem like a lot to pack in but we will most likely not be back so we want to see as much as we can
Old Jan 10th, 2014, 03:22 PM

You must not have researched that much using Fodors. There are about 2-3 other active threads for almost the identical itinerary as yours. On the latest one

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...-itinerary.cfm

most of us are advising "San Francisco and either the wine country or Carmel/Big Sur - not both" for such a short visit. Your day 3 & 4 is a very heavy driving day.

There are more interesting & "real" San Francisco areas to visit IMO, instead of Fisherman's Wharf.
http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...mendations.cfm

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 05:48 AM

Agree with Stu above, Monterey and Hearst and back is just too much for one day; I'd cut off the drive to Hearst unless the weather is splendid and perhaps go no further south than Big Sur; pick either Carmel or Monterey, not both, per above.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 10:00 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Days 1 - 4 are awfully car intensive and day 4 is essentially impossible. Monterey to San Simeon is about a 3 hour drive w/o any stops (and you will want to stop LOTS. So you are talking 6 hours behind the wheel but about 14-15 hours including to see/do.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 12:45 PM

Drive to Monterey after breakfast. How long realistically should this take?

Add 20% to what Google map tells you.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 12:51 PM

You'll need reservations for Hearst Castle; one can't count on getting a tour at the right time at the last minute. The drive will take a couple of hours one way, perhaps more with stops to admire the scenery.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 12:53 PM

correction: 2.5 hours between Monterey and Hearst Castle according to Google map.
Old Jan 11th, 2014, 01:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You simply can't use google map or any other calculator for this specific road. All it takes is for you to get stuck behind a camper or RV from Indiana . . . and you can double the drive time. Count on a minimum of three hours and that is w/ no other traffic and maybe only stopping at one pull out for photos.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!

We will go with my other Day 4 option above and omit Hearst Castle. We will take a more leisurely drive along the Big Sur with stops and head back to Monterey area for the night. Any suggestions on where to turn around on that route (San Carpóforo Creek area) ?

We are staying in Glen Ellen in Sonoma County on Day 1 and Day 2 and the gentleman that I spoke with there said the drive is quite doable. Not sure what route he was referring to but we will look into various route options.

Stu - Re: Fisherman's Wharf we are just staying overnight there but are still going to take in the various sights for 3 days and I have looked at your link above. Thanks for the great suggestions! From what I have read in various places walking or taking a cable car/streetcar is realistic. Thoughts?

We are so looking forward to our little getaway.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 07:51 AM

You have several options on the Big Sur coast.

1. Drive part of the way and then turn around--I would drive as far as San Simeon to see the elephant seals.

2. Drive all the way to Cambria and come back via 101 (2.5 hours according to Google map)

3. Drive to Santa Lucia (just a café and a motel) on the coast and then climb over the mountains to Mission San Antonio de Padua--not for the faint-hearted but with spectacular views.
Old Jan 12th, 2014, 10:05 AM

>>From what I have read in various places walking or taking a cable car/streetcar is realistic. Thoughts?