Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   California sites to skip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/california-sites-to-skip-848265/)

Leonora Jul 6th, 2010 11:55 AM

California sites to skip?

Just starting planning an intinerary for a 10 day San Francisco to LA trip. Two adults and a 16 year old. We're all foodies. What sites have you found to be unworthy?

Ackislander Jul 6th, 2010 12:51 PM

On this route, I can't imagine going to Solvang or skipping Big Sur.

Carmel was disappointing as it is a _very_ private place that doesn't give much of itself away, though we saw three deer grazing on the X-mile drive.

I think the sea lions are pretty hideous, nay disgusting.

Does Dr. Tinkerpaw's "house" still exist in Cambria?

Does Captain Tinkerpaw's "house" still exist in

november_moon Jul 6th, 2010 01:06 PM

I agree that Solvang would be a skip and I am not big on Carmel either. It is a very upscale, private sort of place. Carmel beach is really nice though and Carmel Mission is good.

Other than that, I can't think of any place I'd recommend skipping - just a matter of prioritizing based on your interests.

I believe that Dr. Tinkerpaw's place is still around.

montereybob Jul 6th, 2010 06:40 PM

Most people find Carmel to be a very charming, must-see destination. If you are going the coastal route Hwy 1 from SF to LA, I can't think of any major well known sites that I would recommend skipping.

boom_boom Jul 6th, 2010 07:26 PM

Solvang itself is a bit of a tourist trap and I'd skip it if you have to make a choice. It is kinda interestingm but there are many place that would be better for your time.

elnap29 Jul 6th, 2010 10:13 PM

Well, don't bother with Solvang or Pea Soup Anderson.

SAB Jul 6th, 2010 11:54 PM

Carmel and Pebble Beach are different and it appears that at least one poster has them confused. Carmel is quite charming with lots of interesting art galleries in its "downtown" and lots of lovely "cottages" with beautiful gardens. Scenic Drive from Carmel Beach to Carmel River Beach is a beautiful drive.

J62 Jul 7th, 2010 03:22 AM

The Mystery Spot in the Santa Cruz mtns and the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose - both on my top 10 must skip list.

Pezzini artichoke farms, Watsonville, just outside Monterey is a must see for a foodie.

Ackislander Jul 7th, 2010 03:43 AM

You are right, SAB, I was the one who was confused.

tovarich Jul 7th, 2010 06:52 AM

L.A.

janisj Jul 7th, 2010 06:53 AM

Carmel is about as far from 'private' as you will fine along that route. There are tons of restaurants, wine/cheese/gourmet shops, upscale boutiques, art galleries, a beach, mission, etc.

Actually - I like a few of the shops in Solvang. But I agree, on a short trip along the coast you can safely give it a pass.

Otherwise - I can't really think of much you should definitely skip.

janisj Jul 7th, 2010 06:54 AM

oops - that should be >> . . . as you will find along that route.<<

iamq Jul 7th, 2010 07:11 AM

To skip Carmel would be a shame. The beach is one of the most beautiful beaches along the coast.

I'd skip Santa Cruz. I like Santa Cruz actually, but for a coastal trip with so much to do and see, give SC a pass.

Placename Jul 7th, 2010 07:36 AM

I'd say any wax museum.

I'd also skip Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive and any of that claptrap stuff.

I'd agree with Winchester Mystery House. I'd also skip 6 Flags in Vallejo. Bad scene there. I'd skip going into Ghiardelli and any other food "factory". I'd skip Pier 39 in SF and find a different waterfront part to visit.

vova Jul 7th, 2010 08:15 AM

agree on Solvang...i'm not a huge hearst castle fan either but others on this board seem to like it.

i would also skip any bus tour (double-decker, duck tour, etc.)in any town...

bachslunch Jul 7th, 2010 08:29 AM

Third on the Winchester Mystery House -- well worth seeing, and the tour is very good. As for other San Jose options, I liked both the San Jose Museum of Art and San Jose Historical Museum (the latter is a collection of area historic buildings in a park-like setting). Was not very fond of the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum, as almost all its big artifacts are replicas.

If my research is correct, am thinking the Hearst Castle is a must. Haven't been, though.

In San Francisco, would not bother giving much time for Pier 39, as it's very tourist-y. The crooked block of Lombard Street is fun to look at, but need not take too much of your sightseeing time.

easytraveler Jul 7th, 2010 08:40 AM

Skip the ice cream at Ghirardelli Square??? No way!!!

janisj Jul 7th, 2010 08:48 AM

6 Flags? Winchester Mystery House? Rosecrucian Museum? Sort of a stretch since none are likely to be on a route between SF and LA w/o a significant detour. Folks heading down the coast don't normally go to Vallejo or into San Jose.

Most suggestions were places along the scenic route south, but there are specific sites in both LA and SF that can be skipped. Mostly obvious sites like the wax museums, etc.

SOCALOC Jul 7th, 2010 11:27 AM

If you are going the coastal route Hwy 1 from SF to LA, I can't think of any major well known sites that I would recommend skipping.
__________________________________________________ _____________
I agree with montereybob. Unless, there is something you specifically don't enjoy.

krgystn Jul 7th, 2010 12:29 PM

Skip Hollywood